Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Kid-Friendly Fish Ideas?
Josiegirl 10:32 AM 08-25-2013
I bought cod today, in hopes the dcks will love it! But how do I cook it so they will?
I've had salmon before and the kids love it but it's too expensive. And all I do with that is brush a little lite ranch on it. But doesn't cod need a breading? As you can tell I don't cook a lot of fish.
Cradle2crayons 10:40 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I bought cod today, in hopes the dcks will love it! But how do I cook it so they will?
I've had salmon before and the kids love it but it's too expensive. And all I do with that is brush a little lite ranch on it. But doesn't cod need a breading? As you can tell I don't cook a lot of fish.
I don't bread cod. I put a little lemon pepper on it and toss it in the oven. We eat catfish instead of cod most of the time though. We catch ours. Catfish and crappy. Love it fresh. Or freshly frozen from my own lake.
mema 12:57 PM 08-25-2013
I haven't done cod, but on Tilapia I squirt some lemon juice and add some dill. My kids eat it up!
Josiegirl 04:30 AM 08-26-2013
That sounds simple enough, thanks!
Josiegirl 04:33 PM 08-26-2013
I made it with the lemon juice and dill because I had that on hand. One of my dcgs, 2 1/2, wouldn't try it because she said she doesn't eat grass. LOL All the others loved it, the 6 yo even had 3rds. Healthy lunch today...cod, whole wheat noodles, baby carrots with hummus, grapes, and grape tomatoes. Yummy!
mema 05:58 PM 08-26-2013
I made it with the lemon juice and dill because I had that on hand. One of my dcgs, 2 1/2, wouldn't try it because she said she doesn't eat grass. LOL All the others loved it, the 6 yo even had 3rds. Healthy lunch today...cod, whole wheat noodles, baby carrots with hummus, grapes, and grape tomatoes. Yummy!

I made baked sweet potatoes one day with olive oil, garlic and rosemary and had a 4 yo tell me she doesn't eat grass either. When her mom came, she informed her I was trying to turn her into a cow and make her eat grass!

Glad they liked it. That's the only way I'll eat it now!
Hunni Bee 07:54 PM 09-14-2013
That's a beautiful lunch. I hope to make stuff like that when I open, and have kids who like stuff like that.

I was at a get-together today with several people who work for the same preschool chain as I do, and we were discussing one of our least favorite lunches...tater tots, sparsely covered with cheese with canned peas and ground beef "crumbles" thrown in, and nothing else...referred to as tater tot casserole. Ew.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

we were discussing one of our least favorite lunches...tater tots, sparsely covered with cheese with canned peas and ground beef "crumbles" thrown in, and nothing else...referred to as tater tot casserole. Ew.
My DCK's LOVE tator-tot hotdish but we make it slightly different.

I brown ground beef, drain, layer it in the bottom of a cake pan, add a layer of fresh green beans, place tator tots on top of that and then pour a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and water over all of it and sprinkle cheese (LOTS) on top. Bake and serve.

Sometimes I add other things like onions or spices and sometimes I use milk instead of water or use a different type of cheese depending on what the current group of kids I have like but for the most part, the basic recipe stays the same.

I've never used peas and have never heard of it being made that way either...

Like I said, my DCK's love it!!!!
MamaBearCanada 01:31 PM 09-15-2013
I use a lot of tilapia. I mix mayo with a little mustard in one dish and breadcrumbs with Parmesan in another. I coat the fish in the mayo mixture then dip in the breadcrumbs & bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins depending on how big the pieces are. My kids love it
Tags:fish, food - fish
Reply Up