Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dollhouse?
childcaremom 10:22 AM 06-15-2015
Does anyone have a dollhouse in their playroom?

Does it get used a lot?

I am wondering whether or not to get one but don't want to give up the space if it won't get used, kwim?
Josiegirl 10:31 AM 06-15-2015
I have a plastic one that folds up and came with a lot of furniture. I bought it for 10 bucks at a yard sale and they've used it a LOT. Then I have a huge wooden one with 3 floors, paid about 500 for it and they hardly use it. Plus the wooden stuff that came with it doesn't hold up to very vigorous play. The plastic dollhouse seems to be a hit with the 2 1/2- 4ish crowd. I have all girls too.
childcaremom 10:34 AM 06-15-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a plastic one that folds up and came with a lot of furniture. I bought it for 10 bucks at a yard sale and they've used it a LOT. Then I have a huge wooden one with 3 floors, paid about 500 for it and they hardly use it. Plus the wooden stuff that came with it doesn't hold up to very vigorous play. The plastic dollhouse seems to be a hit with the 2 1/2- 4ish crowd. I have all girls too.
Funny, eh? I had a plastic one for outdoors and it was used all the time. The one I am eyeing is a gorgeous wooden one. Hmmmm.
finsup 10:44 AM 06-15-2015
I have the little tikes one I had as a kid. Sturdy plastic,can stand up to kids sitting on it. Not that I want them to do that but thanks to my 40lb almost 4 year old I know it can hold that much weight lol. I keep an eye out for the furniture that goes with it, or was from a similar time (80s-90s) it seems to hold up better then the new stuff. But yes, everyone likes it, especially the cars and the babies that fit in them. I would love to have my husband build a wooden one and decorate that but not for a few more years when my kids are older and more responsible.
Play Care 10:57 AM 06-15-2015
It's hit or miss here. Lately I've had boy heavy enrollment so when it is used, it's not the way it should he used

But I have a large plastic loving family one and the smaller little people ones. All bought at yard sales.
Thriftylady 11:00 AM 06-15-2015
I don't have the space for a big one. But my little people one has been well loved.
e.j. 11:14 AM 06-15-2015
I have a big one that folds up and several smaller ones. They all get a lot of use.
Sunshine74 11:15 AM 06-15-2015
We have two Little People houses. They get a huge amout of play with our 2-3's.
Rockgirl 11:29 AM 06-15-2015
I used to have a really cool wooden treehouse, almost as tall as me. It eventually wore out, but I kept the furniture and dolls. Now they play with those in an empty 3-shelf bookcase. They love it!
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 06-15-2015
I have a plastic one that folds too... I think it's the Fisher Price Dream Mansion or something like that... I have loads of accessories too.

It's played with a lot and it's held up well but......

I want to get rid of it and find a wooden one.

Originally Posted by finsup:
I have the little tikes one I had as a kid. Sturdy plastic,can stand up to kids sitting on it. Not that I want them to do that but thanks to my 40lb almost 4 year old I know it can hold that much weight lol. I keep an eye out for the furniture that goes with it, or was from a similar time (80s-90s) it seems to hold up better then the new stuff. But yes, everyone likes it, especially the cars and the babies that fit in them. I would love to have my husband build a wooden one and decorate that but not for a few more years when my kids are older and more responsible.
My DD had the Little Tikes dollhouse, grandma's house and the horse stable as well as all the accessories.

When she out grew it, I brought it to daycare and the kids loved it!

Loved to climb on it.
Loved to pick the stickers (rugs etc) of the floors...

I couldn't bear the thought of the kids destroying it so I sold the whole thing to my cousin for her little girl.

I "sorta" wish I wouldn't have sold it but it was probably for the best.
JoseyJo 12:03 PM 06-15-2015
Same here. We had a nice fancy one, and a sturdy minimal one. The minimal one was used all the time by boys and girls, the fancy one just sat in the corner.
spedmommy4 01:32 PM 06-15-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's hit or miss here. Lately I've had boy heavy enrollment so when it is used, it's not the way it should he used

But I have a large plastic loving family one and the smaller little people ones. All bought at yard sales.
This made me laugh. I have six boys and two girls enrolled right now. My dollhouse is the smaller wooden Kaplan dollhouse. I have an awesome full set of furniture and people that I scored from a yard sale for $5. All the kids love it.

The boys don't play with the house in the traditional sense. They pretend that monsters have come to eat all the people. When the monsters need a break, they go to the bathroom, poop, and use the blankets to wipe. But, (no pun intended) I was so proud this morning because dcb 3 remembered to wash monsters hands and even sang our hand washing song.
Febby 04:05 PM 06-15-2015
My three year old class has two. There's a Little People dollhouse in the block area that they LOVE. It's always out and always being play with, along with the Little People barn. There's a huge wooden one back in the dramatic play area that almost never gets used, though. I think, at least partially, because it doesn't look all that appealing (sparse furniture that's been colored on, etc.) I'm planning to work on it this week during naptime and late in the day to make it look a bit better, so maybe they'll play with it more.
Unregistered 01:35 AM 06-19-2015
I also have a fold up fisher price house with lots of pieces that gets used a lot. I'm switching over to mainly wooden and natural material toys. I have some wooden furniture in good shape that was given to me.

I plan to keep the plastic doll house. Some things are just classic and well loved! It will stay in all it's plastic glory! I may even buy some new plastic furniture, as mine is at least 20 years old. The new stuff is so darn cute!

The wooden furniture is used in the the wooden block area. it works well there.
Tags:dollhouse
Reply Up