Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worried About This One
Thriftylady 08:52 AM 07-28-2015
Well I just had an interview. Mom and grandma came with 2 year old boy. The boy was kind of a terror, and they had told me that already. Basically he gets to run the roost at home it sounds like. Picky eater, told mom how I deal with that (I serve what I serve LOL), he won't nap or go to bed at night (bet he does for me). Mom said he wouldn't go to bed until after 11 last night because he napped yesterday. Well he is gonna lay down here and I told them that.

The worst part, they want to start tomorrow and have to set up a payment plan because mom is just getting started in a job, and grandma has been paying all the bills for both their houses. The thing is I am desperate enough for kiddos to give it a shot. Go ahead, tell me I am nuts, because I am telling myself that. I hate being between a rock wall and a canyon.
MyAngels 08:58 AM 07-28-2015
Some of my best kids over the years have been described as "terrors" by their parents. I'm more selective now, but when I was first starting out I took anyone and everyone. I must have good daycare lady ju ju because the majority worked out just fine. Maybe he just needs a little structure and it'll work out just fine for you
childcaremom 08:58 AM 07-28-2015
Well....

He might be different for you.
Thriftylady 09:06 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Well....

He might be different for you.
I am counting on the fact he will be different for me. I can tell that mom just really doesn't have much backbone with him. I told her that she needs to make him understand that she is the parent because he is yanking her chains. Hopefully I can teach her something. I am sure they are wanting to sign up. Her main concern with him being here is his picky eating. I told her he won't starve himself it will be fine. Then grandma said "See that is exactly what the doctor said the other day".
rosieteddy 09:14 AM 07-28-2015
The scariest thing of all is the payment plan. Why can't Gransdma pay your fee or the tuition as needed.I think I would have parent borrow from her mother(grandma)not you. I would give it a try if I needed the enrollment ,but not without full tuition. What if it doesn't work out and they do not pay you.In my experiance starting at 2 yrs is always a challenge and you should be paid in full.This child will give you a run for your money make it worth it was always my motto.
nanglgrl 09:20 AM 07-28-2015
I would start him and see how it goes except they would have to pay in advance..that's non negotiable. I wouldn't mind doing a payment plan for the deposit but would not, under any circumstances, let them pay after care is provided.
Thriftylady 09:35 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I would start him and see how it goes except they would have to pay in advance..that's non negotiable. I wouldn't mind doing a payment plan for the deposit but would not, under any circumstances, let them pay after care is provided.
I don't like that either, but they don't have it. I think I am going to take the chance just because I am desperate for kids right now. I am going to make them give me social security numbers and such.
Rockgirl 09:39 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
The scariest thing of all is the payment plan. Why can't Gransdma pay your fee or the tuition as needed.I think I would have parent borrow from her mother(grandma)not you. I would give it a try if I needed the enrollment ,but not without full tuition. What if it doesn't work out and they do not pay you.In my experiance starting at 2 yrs is always a challenge and you should be paid in full.This child will give you a run for your money make it worth it was always my motto.
My thoughts exactly!
Thriftylady 09:49 AM 07-28-2015
According to them grandma is already paying her rent and all her bills and they don't live together. IF I do this, I am going to have everything in writing. Like I said I don't like it, but I also understand that if you don't have a sitter you can't work. I haven't enrolled yet, and yes I know I am nuts for considering it.
JoseyJo 09:52 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
According to them grandma is already paying her rent and all her bills and they don't live together. IF I do this, I am going to have everything in writing. Like I said I don't like it, but I also understand that if you don't have a sitter you can't work. I haven't enrolled yet, and yes I know I am nuts for considering it.
As long as you know, lol! I would NEVER take a child without payment in advance. What is the point of having SSNs when you know you would never get a dime out of them if you sued them? If they are that bad off they don't have good credit to worry about most likely.

Why don't they get state assistance?
Annalee 09:54 AM 07-28-2015
Some of my best clients have been those that appear less desirable. I find that structure during the day goes a long way for children and structure for a client develops a good relationship.

I had 3 spots to fill for next month and filled the last one yesterday. The clients are what some might consider rough looking but they are making a living just like I am and were extra respectful to me. The child can actually go to school this year but they asked if I would give him a year of my time and prepare him better.

I told them I am no "miracle worker" but I will give it 100%. They have been on my list a couple years but I have avoided them because every time they would call me they would discuss how the other daycare had trouble with this kid's behavior??????

After seeing them out a few days ago, I called them for an interview and I am so glad I did because it boosted my morale thinking I could REALLY help a child and the parents seemed so appreciative.

Everyone deserves a chance!
Crazy8 09:56 AM 07-28-2015
I would NEVER take a child without SOME form of payment up front. I could work out paying up on the deposit, etc. but there is no way I'd watch a child for a single day without being paid. If they are that desperate I could do the pay by the day thing till mom gets her first check - so if my fee is $40/day they walk in with that (in cash) each morning. No pay, no stay. Bet she can find something in her house to sell to come up with the cost of her first couple of days of daycare.
For behavior I would just keep them on trial until I was sure it was a good fit.
BumbleBee 09:57 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I'd be asking them what bills they will be working to make smaller in order to pay your fee. Smart phones, cable, etc. are not needed bills. Drop car insurance to lowest they can, plug lights into power strips and turn off the power strip when gone. Turn the tv off, computers. Carpool with others for work, stop eating out.

I don't know their situation but if you set yourself up to be burned you are the only one to blame. Don't set yourself up for failure.

JMO
Thriftylady 10:16 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I'd be asking them what bills they will be working to make smaller in order to pay your fee. Smart phones, cable, etc. are not needed bills. Drop car insurance to lowest they can, plug lights into power strips and turn off the power strip when gone. Turn the tv off, computers. Carpool with others for work, stop eating out.

I don't know their situation but if you set yourself up to be burned you are the only one to blame. Don't set yourself up for failure.

JMO
Yeah they wanted to start care tomorrow and not make any payment until next Friday. I told them there is NO way that is going to happen.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:41 AM 07-28-2015
If she hasn't been employed, she should qualify for state assistance.

I have accepted state before without their copay until they got paid. I have accepted a child before and waited until her first paycheck. I would ask for verification of employment, salary, and pay schedule.

Is dad in the picture at all? Is she waiting for a support check to pay you?
Thriftylady 10:45 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
If she hasn't been employed, she should qualify for state assistance.

I have accepted state before without their copay until they got paid. I have accepted a child before and waited until her first paycheck. I would ask for verification of employment, salary, and pay schedule.

Is dad in the picture at all? Is she waiting for a support check to pay you?
Dad is not in the picture. She qualifies for state care but I don't take it. Many providers in this area don't those that do are full. Centers do, but she is going to be working second shift, very few of us in this area will do those hours. In fact, I don't want to but am doing it for now in order to get business built up, I hope someday to not have to anymore.
mamamanda 10:47 AM 07-28-2015
The payment would be an issue for me. I actually am the weird one that allows parents to pay at the end of the week instead of before, but I have always known the parents I'm dealing with in some form or another. Friend of a friend kind of thing. I've never had an issue, but it sounds like there are some definite red flags in the money area. I will say I've heard from many teachers that you should never ask a previous teacher how a child behaved in their class because different personalities work well with different environments. He may be a hooligan at home but the structure at your house may actually be exactly what he needs. I would try to erase the negatives they've told you about him and give it a shot if the behavior was the only thing. Definitely give yourself a 2 week trial in case it doesn't work out. Best of luck!!!
Thriftylady 10:51 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
The payment would be an issue for me. I actually am the weird one that allows parents to pay at the end of the week instead of before, but I have always known the parents I'm dealing with in some form or another. Friend of a friend kind of thing. I've never had an issue, but it sounds like there are some definite red flags in the money area. I will say I've heard from many teachers that you should never ask a previous teacher how a child behaved in their class because different personalities work well with different environments. He may be a hooligan at home but the structure at your house may actually be exactly what he needs. I would try to erase the negatives they've told you about him and give it a shot if the behavior was the only thing. Definitely give yourself a 2 week trial in case it doesn't work out. Best of luck!!!
I am doing a two week trial. Usually I only do one week but IF we can get money worked out and he starts tomorrow that is only three days and I want longer than that. I do know that many kids act different with parents around, so I am willing to try that. I do expect pre payments most of the time but I am considering allowing payments on Friday, adding in extra for the deposit and getting them on pre pay. What I have in mind right now would take six weeks to get both of those done. But they only wanted to add $10 a week to the payments to do that, and they are going to have to add more than that. I don't want to drag it out that long. IF she calls me back I am going to tell her the min. amount she can pay not the other way around. Like I said she really kind of doesn't want to send him to me because I won't make him special meals due to him being "picky". But I also told her that she isn't going to find many providers who will cater to that.
childcaremom 10:55 AM 07-28-2015
They aren't prepaying? I thought maybe paying day by day until they get situated.

No way would I do that.

If they can't afford to pay day by day, how are they able to pay on Friday for 3 days?
Thriftylady 11:04 AM 07-28-2015
They aren't prepaying? I thought maybe paying day by day until they get situated.

No way would I do that.

If they can't afford to pay day by day, how are they able to pay on Friday for 3 days?
Grandma gets paid on Thursday, and they will both be getting a check starting next Thursday. I am wondering if grandma was paying all the bills and rent why she didn't move in with grandma, but I didn't ask.

ETA: I didn't even think about charging daily, that may be an idea.
Annalee 11:05 AM 07-28-2015

No way would I do that.

I would NOT negotiate on the pay...I will give a chance if behavior is the primary issue, but NEVER negotiate with the pay schedule! I get paid in advance.
Thriftylady 11:13 AM 07-28-2015
Well they just called. Somehow magically his other grandma is going to start coming to town to watch him while mom works. I have a feeling I lost him because either 1. I wouldn't start watching him with no money until next Friday or 2. I wouldn't cave on my meals and feed him only the few things he would eat. I do need the enrollment, but there are some things I just won't budge on. You all have had great ideas as always.
Baby Beluga 12:45 PM 07-28-2015
I know it is hard, but good for you for sticking to your policies.
Reply Up