Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have Their Bachelors in ECE?
KristinsHomeCC 05:56 PM 01-17-2016
Hey ladies (and the few gents! )

I am going into my 2nd year in home child care and will open a Large Family Home childcare in the next year or so once we move into a bigger house. In FL, a large family home child care is a licensed home with 12 child limit and a full time employee (6 kids max each).

I also intend to open a center with my husband in the next 5 years. He is an entrepreneur and multi business owner. He's also invented a product in the tattoo and piercing industry and sold it to the largest distributor in the business. He's going to be a GREAT asset to my business for the business side of things. I am *stoked* to go into this with him.

I'm not sure about other states but in FL, a director must have atleast a Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and must be on premises for most of business hours. They have an average salary of 70-90K here. I would love to go to school and be the director myself and that fits into my 5 year plan to open a center.

Does anyone else have this degree or are going to school currently? I'd love to find an all-online program as I am open 60 hours a week and work by myself! Any information on schools/programs would be GREATLY appreciated! I tried looking for previous posts but didn't have much luck.
jenboo 06:41 PM 01-17-2016
I have a bs in child and family development. I went to Sdsu so I'm no help in the online schooling department.
I really enjoyed my classes... Especially the ones geared towards being a director.
Unregistered 07:14 PM 01-17-2016
The only thing is even if you don't want a teaching certificate, to complete most ECE programs with a BA you have to do a year of student teaching. I know when I did mine, years ago, it was a semester of one day a week shadowing and the next semester was a two week orientation and then you did every thing. I had a few people in my program who had various experience with children (like public school paras and aides) and they even had to do both. I know where I live, they've changed it to a semester of observation for like 20 hours and a whole school year of student teaching with the two week orientation and the rest being all on the student teacher. I know it was changed, because a lot of public schools were complaining new teachers weren't prepared enough. If you're going to own a center, it might just be easier to hire a director. Since it's a private center, most people aren't going to expect 70K. For example, where I live first year teachers make like 50K. In day cares, they make like 8.50 an hour with director making like 10-12. If student teaching for 6 months to a year is doable, you can get your BA in ECE.
Annalee 07:23 PM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The only thing is even if you don't want a teaching certificate, to complete most ECE programs with a BA you have to do a year of student teaching. I know when I did mine, years ago, it was a semester of one day a week shadowing and the next semester was a two week orientation and then you did every thing. I had a few people in my program who had various experience with children (like public school paras and aides) and they even had to do both. I know where I live, they've changed it to a semester of observation for like 20 hours and a whole school year of student teaching with the two week orientation and the rest being all on the student teacher. I know it was changed, because a lot of public schools were complaining new teachers weren't prepared enough. If you're going to own a center, it might just be easier to hire a director. Since it's a private center, most people aren't going to expect 70K. For example, where I live first year teachers make like 50K. In day cares, they make like 8.50 an hour with director making like 10-12. If student teaching for 6 months to a year is doable, you can get your BA in ECE.
I have an associate's degree in ECE and completed all but 6 classes online through a local community college. Transferred to a university to complete my Bachelors but did not continue due to the drive and no more classes being offered online. I am sure there are online programs for this in your area. Here, I would have had to complete "student teaching" the last year as well so I have not continued. Maybe in the future????
Unregistered 07:56 PM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have an associate's degree in ECE and completed all but 6 classes online through a local community college. Transferred to a university to complete my Bachelors but did not continue due to the drive and no more classes being offered online. I am sure there are online programs for this in your area. Here, I would have had to complete "student teaching" the last year as well so I have not continued. Maybe in the future????
Just do it before seven years have passed, that seems to be the number for most majors. My sister dropped out, school wasn't for her at the time. She is older. When she went back, they told her she had to start over again. She was a graphic art major.
permanentvacation 08:04 PM 01-17-2016
All of the school teachers in my area swear by Western Governor's University which is an online college. I just researched it and found websites that say they added a bachelor's degree program in 2009. But when I pulled up their website, I couldn't see one listed. But I am getting tired. So I might have just overlooked it.

So, I have not used that college, but many of the school teachers from Kindergarten teachers up to 12th grade teachers that I have talked with over the years use Western Governor's University and love it.
nanglgrl 09:39 PM 01-17-2016
Not sure if a BS would be adequate or not for s directors role but that's what I'm working on and except for the student teaching it's all online through various universities who collaborate together. The classes are from different colleges, this semester I have one class as Iowa State and another via the university of Missouri. It includes over 20 public universities but your degree comes from your home college. It's called the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance. My BS will be in Early Care and Education for a mobile society.
Nisaryn 09:46 PM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Hey ladies (and the few gents! )

I am going into my 2nd year in home child care and will open a Large Family Home childcare in the next year or so once we move into a bigger house. In FL, a large family home child care is a licensed home with 12 child limit and a full time employee (6 kids max each).

I also intend to open a center with my husband in the next 5 years. He is an entrepreneur and multi business owner. He's also invented a product in the tattoo and piercing industry and sold it to the largest distributor in the business. He's going to be a GREAT asset to my business for the business side of things. I am *stoked* to go into this with him.

I'm not sure about other states but in FL, a director must have atleast a Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and must be on premises for most of business hours. They have an average salary of 70-90K here. I would love to go to school and be the director myself and that fits into my 5 year plan to open a center.

Does anyone else have this degree or are going to school currently? I'd love to find an all-online program as I am open 60 hours a week and work by myself! Any information on schools/programs would be GREATLY appreciated! I tried looking for previous posts but didn't have much luck.
I'm in CA and am taking classes online through Saddleback College...they are all 100% online EXCEPT for the practicum. In order to have a license to become a director here in CA you must have 6 credits of practicum and 3 to 6 credits of Adult supervision. I would assume this is the same in most other states so you need to make sure you are able to make the time to do the Practicums, they will not let you use your current daycare experience for the Practicum. This is actually the only part I have left to complete for my degree and I've had to put it off for a semester because I simply couldn't afford to take a year off to complete the practicums BUT I'm making plans to do so this coming fall
Unregistered 10:13 PM 01-17-2016
Licensing will make exceptions though. I got one. I was a director and I did not have all of the qualifications. I had the 3 unit class in admin which was a very very easy night class. I didn't have the practicum which I now have. They never gave a time limit or anything either. I was working, we needed to fill the director position, they gave it to me, licensing allowed it. I was very lucky. But, just saying, they will make an exception- this was 10 years ago. Idk if that makes a difference. And where I am they won't let you use past experience to cover practicum, but they will let you do it at your current job. You just need a supervisor on board... Nisaryn- I think you may be able to get a few classes down while still running your fcc...
Mad_Pistachio 05:39 AM 01-18-2016
Working on AAS (started "from scratch" in Fall 2014), but planning to transfer to university and get Bachelor's there. Actually, I'd like to go all the way to Master's, but not planning that far ahead.
k.mcmahan2010 05:15 PM 01-18-2016
I'm in Central Florida. I got my AA in ECE from a local community college and then started with another school for my BA but ended up dropping it for a while due to lack of financial aid. Last Oct. I started my BA again through Rasmussen College. It is 100% online, and I should finish in 12-15 months from the time I started the program. There is also no practicum or anything that requires me to go to a public school (I believe there is one that I have to do in any Early Childhood program, but I am able to use my job for that one). I chose Rasmussen because of how quickly I will be able to complete the program, and because it doesn't require a practicum in a public school (but also does not give the teaching credential).
Tags:ece
Reply Up