Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh Yes Another PT Question
daycare 02:29 PM 03-06-2012
SO I have a dcg that has been working on PT since she started here at the first of the year. She is doing great. Last week zero accidents. Of course DCP want to know if she can come in undies and I say no sorry Two weeks.

So this week I decided that I am going to really put her to the test and stop telling her when to go to the bathroom. So of course she has one accident yesterday and one so far today. The DCP were mad at pick up when I told them. I also told them that "I" "WE" all need to stop telling her to go to the bathroom, that part of being potty trained means you have to be able to tell someone you have to go or be able to go on your own without having to be reminded.

The DCP are mad and are telling me that why would I do that? That if I just remind her, she will go...........Um I have 5 other kids to think about and I can't remember myself to recall who has to go to the bathroom and when.

What is your take on this? HOw else can I handle this situation with these paernts?
saved4always 02:44 PM 03-06-2012
I totally agree with you. Part of potty training is the child learning that they need to tell you they have to go. I call it "parent-trained" when the parent has to constantly put the child on the potty or else they won't go. And I hate it.

But, you will probably not be able to convince the parents of this. I learned the hard way that, when it comes to potty training, if you don't do it exactly how the parents want, they think you are undermining all the "work" they have done to get the child potty trained. Parents that were always nice and supposedly loved me watching their child totally turned on me when I had a different opinion about wearing undies in my home.

So, while I totally agree with how you are approaching this and I feel it is the right thing to do, I do not know of any way to convice the parents. Even with that though, I would not give in on letting underwear be worn before I was comfortable. I don't get paid enough by any one dcf to let any child have multiple accidents in my home.
Tags:part time
Reply Up