Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Pot Roast
Baby Beluga 09:22 PM 09-27-2015
What is your favorite way to season and cook a pot roast? My local grocery store has them on sale so I picked a few up but I need new ways to cook and season them.
Thriftylady 06:20 AM 09-28-2015
I usually just do the same old normal stuff. But sometimes I cook them up to slice for sandwiches. And depending how cheap they really were, you could cut them up for stew meat.
Josiegirl 10:20 AM 09-28-2015
I'll throw a bunch of carrots, quartered potatoes, celery, onions, along with the pot roast in the crockpot. Add a cup of water and a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Cook until you can't take the smell anymore and have to devour it! Probably 8-10 hours. Yummy!!!
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 09-28-2015
Put pot roast in large roasting pan.

Surround roast with potatoes, onions and carrots.
Add cream of mushroom soup (mixed with hot water) over the whole works.

Sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion soup mix over the roast.

Bake 350F for 4-5 hours.

Use the cream of mushroom mixture (which has thickened during cooking) as gravy

The Lipton Onion soup mix will have made a nice tasty crust on the top of the roast. YUM!!
Baby Beluga 12:28 PM 09-28-2015
YUM! These sound delicious. Usually I:

Make slits in the meat and place minced garlic in the slits.
Rub meat with salt/pepper
Sear both sides in skillet
Place in cock pot over bed of onions and let cook.

I steam carrots and potatoes separately and then serve all together on the first night. The second day for lunch or dinner I usually shred the meat, mix it with some BBQ sauce, warm it in a skillet and have a pulled meat sandwich.

I've also shredded the meat/BBQ sauce and baked it inside a croissant for the kids the next day - they love that.

It is good, but I never would have thought to use a cream of mushroom soup and/or onion soup mix. I have both of those at that house and will be trying it for dinner tomorrow
Miss A 02:26 PM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Put pot roast in large roasting pan.

Surround roast with potatoes, onions and carrots.
Add cream of mushroom soup (mixed with hot water) over the whole works.

Sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion soup mix over the roast.

Bake 350F for 4-5 hours.

Use the cream of mushroom mixture (which has thickened during cooking) as gravy

The Lipton Onion soup mix will have made a nice tasty crust on the top of the roast. YUM!!
The exact recipe I use, but also chop up the heart of a celery stalk, leaves and everything and rub that into the roast before I place it into the crock pot. Then, I cook mine on low 6-8 hours.
Leigh 03:39 PM 09-29-2015
I brown mine in a skillet first, then I like to cover mine in sea salt, Italian seasoning, and crushed black pepper. When I put water in the bottom of the pan, I add either a dry, red wine or cooking sherry and a can or 2 of beef consomme. Leftovers get shredded and served on hard buns with provolone, swiss, or mozzarella and sauteed onions and bell peppers.
Tags:crockpot - pot roast, pot roast, recipe
Reply Up