Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
DaycareMama's Avatar
DaycareMama DaycareMama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 620
Default What Can You Make With Corn Syrup?

I bought alot of corn syrup to make discovery bottles with the kids but there will be a lot left over (Poor planning on my part ). What other crafts/fun things can we use some for?

I saw awesome ideas about using it to paint with so we will try that.

Any other ideas????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

you could make marshmallows!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM
DaycareMama's Avatar
DaycareMama DaycareMama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 620
Default

hmmmm that could be fun with my own kids. Could you tell me how thats done ?? please
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
GretasLittleFriends's Avatar
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

Babies poop was my initial response... My infant dd had some issues and that's what the ped. recommended... I've seen recipes for paint and for glitter bottle (or snow globe) crafts like you mentioned.

I would be interested in seeing the marshmallow recipe as well!!
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 PM
mickey2's Avatar
mickey2 mickey2 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 334
Default

Candy Play Dough
This play dough is also edible.

Materials:
- 1/3 cup margarine
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
-1 pound box of powdered sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-food coloring
-1/4 tsp. salt

1. Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar.

2. Knead until smooth.

3. Sculpt and eat.



Chocolate Clay

Materials:
-10 ounces of chocolate (chopped chunks or chips)
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
(Note: the chocolate can be substituted with almond bark, or colored candy disks to create different colors)

1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave for one minute. Stir. If chocolate is not completely melted, return to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in the top of a double broiler over hot water and stir until melted.

2. When the chocolate is melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

3. Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet.

4. Spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick.

5. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight. The chocolate will become very pliable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

http://www.epinions.com/content_1840029828

Pinecone bird feeder with corn syrup!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
DaycareMama's Avatar
DaycareMama DaycareMama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 620
Default

you ladies are great. Candy play dough will be a big hit and the pine cones will be great for monday. We are starting a unit on birds
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

There are LOTS of marshmallow recipes:

Marshmallow recipes
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

I make some soft mints at Christmas (although they are good anytime of the year) & they have corn syrup in them. Here's the recipe: (If I am extra adventurous I will melt chocolate & partially dip them in chocolate for chocolate mints. Yum!)

Party Mints:

1/3 c soft butter
1/3 c light corn syrup
1 tsp mint extract
1 lb powdered sugar
green food coloring (if desired)

Mix butter, corn syrup, mint extract & food coloring in a bowl.

Slowly stir in powdered sugar. You may need to actually kneed it in as it will become quite thick. The consistency needs to be fairly thick so if you think it feels very soft/oily you may need to add a bit more pd. sugar. Once the sugar is completely stirred in roll the dough into small balls & place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. You can make a small indentation with your thumb on each mint for decorative purposes if you want. (this is helpful if you want to fill the indentation in with melted chocolate-that is what I do). Mints go in the freezer (yum!) & can be removed 1/2 hr before you want to eat some. Or you don't need to freeze them, we always ate them frozen growing up.
Enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
MsMe's Avatar
MsMe MsMe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Children First View Post
Candy Play Dough
This play dough is also edible.

Materials:
- 1/3 cup margarine
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
-1 pound box of powdered sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-food coloring
-1/4 tsp. salt

1. Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar.

2. Knead until smooth.

3. Sculpt and eat.



Chocolate Clay

Materials:
-10 ounces of chocolate (chopped chunks or chips)
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
(Note: the chocolate can be substituted with almond bark, or colored candy disks to create different colors)

1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave for one minute. Stir. If chocolate is not completely melted, return to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in the top of a double broiler over hot water and stir until melted.

2. When the chocolate is melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

3. Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet.

4. Spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick.

5. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight. The chocolate will become very pliable.
THANK YOU so much I have been looking everywhere for an edible recipe that is peanut free!!!!! Can't wait to try this on Monday!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
DaycareMama's Avatar
DaycareMama DaycareMama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 620
Default

http://www.simmiecakes.com/tag/candy-corn/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 AM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
THANK YOU so much I have been looking everywhere for an edible recipe that is peanut free!!!!! Can't wait to try this on Monday!
LOL! I didn't realize my mint recipe was almost exactly the same as ther play doh one. Too funny!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 AM
dEHmom's Avatar
dEHmom dEHmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada EH
Posts: 2,354
Default

puff wheat cakes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
MaryPoppins's Avatar
MaryPoppins MaryPoppins is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
Default

Rice krispie bars.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Missani's Avatar
Missani Missani is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 214
Default

Make Special K bars! Yum!

You mentioned painting with it. I've heard that adding it to paint makes the paint really shiny looking. You could paint anything, but if you celebrate Easter at all with the kiddos, it would look really neat on paper Easter eggs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I make some soft mints at Christmas (although they are good anytime of the year) & they have corn syrup in them. Here's the recipe: (If I am extra adventurous I will melt chocolate & partially dip them in chocolate for chocolate mints. Yum!)

Party Mints:

1/3 c soft butter
1/3 c light corn syrup
1 tsp mint extract
1 lb powdered sugar
green food coloring (if desired)

Mix butter, corn syrup, mint extract & food coloring in a bowl

Slowly stir in powdered sugar. You may need to actually kneed it in as it will become quite thick. The consistency needs to be fairly thick so if you think it feels very soft/oily you may need to add a bit more pd. sugar. Once the sugar is completely stirred in roll the dough into small balls & place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. You can make a small indentation with your thumb on each mint for decorative purposes if you want. (this is helpful if you want to fill the indentation in with melted chocolate-that is what I do). Mints go in the freezer (yum!) & can be removed 1/2 hr before you want to eat some. Or you don't need to freeze them, we always ate them frozen growing up.
Enjoy.
This sounds so good.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 765
Default

peanut brittle
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
candy play dough, chocolate clay, corn syrup, marshmallows, party mints, recipe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price High And Not Make Sense Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 08-29-2012 10:50 AM
The DCB who can't make a decision Bookworm Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 08-14-2012 04:26 PM
sensory table question - corn WImom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-29-2012 02:18 PM
Interview Tomorrow/How To Make My Home More Appealing! momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 27 01-31-2011 10:54 AM
What Do You Make of This? gbcc Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 30 06-24-2010 04:00 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming