Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default A Rent Question :)

So, I am working on starting a family daycare. I am looking to rent a townhome for my center. I plan to take out a small loan to pay for my upstart. Problem is, no one wants to rent without proof of income. Any Ideas??? PS I am new here
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I don't have any ideas and am surprised that you have found anyone willing to rent to you since you will be using the space to take care of kids.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM

All you can do is get a job outside the home that has proof of pay until you have employment established enough for a rental unit.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I don't have any ideas and am surprised that you have found anyone willing to rent to you since you will be using the space to take care of kids.
I'm in a rental home and do daycare. My landlord was a little hesitant when I first mentioned it. However, I showed him that I had insurance and told him a little about my rules and he was ok with it.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
Okay so my DH and I go back and forth about this with each other about how if it is your home and someone wanted to rent it to do daycare and you didn't want your rental to be "destroyed" because of it that you can deny renting to them. This is one of those few times where I am glad that I live in CA because there's a state code that prohibits denying someone only because they do daycare.

So ... I hope the OP lives in CA.

Back to the OP: Family daycare (daycare homes) is a tricky thing. If you don't already have an income you may want to rethink your plan. Maybe you can do something else for income, then get approved for a rental, then open your DC and start looking for clients. After you get your first DC clients (enough to cover rent and utilities of course) you can quit your other job.

As for being approved for a rental ... can you have someone co-sign for you? This will be hard too, especially after knowing that starting a DC is harder than it sounds. It can take a year or two to even get to the point where you are full. Staying full is a completely different battle. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Thanks all!

Thanks for the replys. I am a long way out still, so I hope to make some connections through church and friends in the biz. Wish me luck!!!

Tags
rent