Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Provider Paid Time Off
DCBlessings27 08:17 AM 03-05-2012
I started off charging only for the days children were in care, but I soon found that grandparents/aunts magically appeared to watch the kids. I definitely couldn't afford to stay open when the parents didn't bring the kids due to having free childcare. I soon learned to charge a weekly rate.

I've only been charging for the major holidays--New Years, Memorial, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas (if they fall during the week) for a year. I added in only 3 paid sick days as well.

I do not charge for my personal vacation or if I take a non-holiday day off, but I do give plenty of notice. I added in the 3 paid sick days because I get every illness that the kids get and so does my daughter. I've had to use 2 of the sick days already this year because my daughter and I got pneumonia in Jan.

I try to be as fair as I can with my daycare parents. I, however, do not work for my parents. I provide a service; they chose to use my service.

Others in my city can charge for 10 personal days, 3 weeks vacation, all the federal holidays--all paid and get away with it. One provider has in her contract that she will not take kids unless both parents are working. If one parent is off, she expects the child to be home.

It's up to the parents to agree to the contract and find the service that works best for them.
Tags:2008, charging, federal holidays, guidelines, legal, paid holidays, parent - complains, part time, real costs of providing care, the post that would not end, time off, tuition, tuition breakdown
Up