Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathroom During Nap Time?
AmandasFCC 01:21 PM 02-16-2010
I've got a 4yo who, EVERY DAY, in the middle of nap time, says he has to go pee. It's either right as they're laying down for a nap that he chooses to disrupt everything, or in the middle. So I've been making them "try" to go to the bathroom before lunch time. That's about 45 mins before nap time, and considering this seems to be the ONLY time during the day that they have to pee, I figure that should take care of the problem...

Nope, today 5yo dcb gets up and has to go pee. I say, no you just went before lunch. He actually was doing the potty dance and crying over it so I let him go. 4yo, once again, as soon as he lies down, "I really have to go pee". Nope, I don't believe you especially. Yesterday he tried to go in there to "clean up". So I followed him, show me what kind of mess you made. Nothing. He just wanted to dick around. Forget it!!!

Am I mean for not letting this kid go pee when he JUST went???
GretasLittleFriends 02:46 PM 02-16-2010
Is it possible to change your routine slightly and do a(nother) potty break right before they lay down? Not sure what ages your dc kids are or how/where they nap. Are there really little ones? Do they nap in the same room as the big ones?

Thinking that they drink a glass of milk,(juice or whatever) at lunch, I'd rather have them try to use the bathroom one more time right before they lay down. That way their bladder doesn't creep towards the full mark while they're supposed to be sleeping. This may help resolve their excuse making. I'd however expect them to lay still and quiet during nap time. If you give them one more chance to go prior to laying down I wouldn't let them up during nap time. If they really had to go, they would have gone when given the chance.

Of course, I'm 28wks pregnant and I have to go what seems like non-stop some days, so perhaps I'm overly sympathetic.
momma2girls 02:54 PM 02-16-2010
I have 1- 3 1/2 yr. old and a 4 yr. old that still wear pullups at naptime! They are wet everyday!!! I try and limit what I give them at lunchtime to drink and at snacks!! I have them go to the bathroom before dinner, and then right before laying down, and they are still always wet!!! I asked each of their parents if they are always wet in the am as well after their nights sleep. They both said yes, they are always wet.
melissa ann 03:00 PM 02-16-2010
I have kids ages 3-5 and no matter when they went to the bathroom, they know after lunch they "try" to go potty. When they are done eating, they head to the bathroom and from there to nap. I would say 95% of the time, they go to the bathroom.
IMO, I think having them go 45 mins before lunch/nap and expecting them not to have to use the bathroom after lunch and through nap time, is too long.
Crystal 03:07 PM 02-16-2010
My group (12 kids) all potty just before laying down. No mid-nap pee breaks are ever requested.
Persephone 03:20 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I have kids ages 3-5 and no matter when they went to the bathroom, they know after lunch they "try" to go potty. When they are done eating, they head to the bathroom and from there to nap. I would say 95% of the time, they go to the bathroom.
IMO, I think having them go 45 mins before lunch/nap and expecting them not to have to use the bathroom after lunch and through nap time, is too long.
I agree.

Have them go after they eat, before they lay down. Then there should be no reason for them to have to get up. But if they wake up early and have to go, I can under stand that. I know I have to go after I nap for even a short time, but then again, I have to pee all the time anyways.
Persephone 03:21 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I have 1- 3 1/2 yr. old and a 4 yr. old that still wear pullups at naptime! They are wet everyday!!! I try and limit what I give them at lunchtime to drink and at snacks!! I have them go to the bathroom before dinner, and then right before laying down, and they are still always wet!!! I asked each of their parents if they are always wet in the am as well after their nights sleep. They both said yes, they are always wet.

Some kids just take longer to be able to control that when they are asleep. Since they wake up wet, there is not much you can do, since they are doing it in their sleep. What we use to do at the daycare center I worked at, once they were in underwear full time we would take a trash bag and open it up under their cot and lay an old towel over it. Then if they did pee at nap time the towel would soak up most of it and the bag kept it from getting on the floor. Then we just changed their clothes.
momma2girls 04:23 PM 02-16-2010
IF they continue to be wet at naptime and at night, they will still wear pullups here as well for every naptime.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:03 PM 02-16-2010
We have one 4 yr old girl in particular who decides she has to go potty as soon as they're supposed to be laying down. If I'd allow her to, she'd go into the restroom and play around and waste a lot of time. So I started telling her to go potty as soon as lunch is over (which is the last thing they do before nap time). She tells me she doesn't need to and gets upset when I insist, so I tell her, "ok, but you won't be allowed to go until after nap time is over." Well, she jumps up no sooner than we're about to get them all settled down for their nap. "I have to go potty", and gets louder if I tell her no, and then of course the other ones all decide they need to go too. It's their way of prolonging nap time. If they're given a chance right before they lay down, but won't go, I think they should have to wait. Sometimes this girl repeats herself for like 30 minutes! But she's used to getting what she wants at home. Her school age sister was there on a school break one time and informed me that "When she has to go, you have to let her because she can't hold it." Of course she can, though. By the time nap is over and she's allowed to go potty, she says she doesn't need to. Good luck with your little boy! Be consistent and he'll learn soon enough
originalkat 07:41 AM 02-17-2010
All the kids have a potty break just before naptime. They do not go during naptime. I have never had an issue with this for home daycare but when I worked in centers years back it was ALWAYS a problem. Kids wanting to get up and keep going potty so they could play. I would let them go once and then not again.
tenderhearts 07:52 AM 02-17-2010
Same here, I have them go right before nap, I have never had a problem. For awhile I had a 4 yr old boy that would always say he had to go to the bathroom and more than once. He'd go like 15 min after they went down and then again in another 15 or 20 min, I said the same thing, there is no way you have to go potty again, you just went. After about a week of this I said ok, you better need to go because I'm going to stand outside the door and listen and if you dont' go then no more getting up during nap and sure enough he stood there then comes back out, I said I didn't hear anything and he said I don't have to go, so I said ok no more getting up during nap and that worked he's hasn't gotten up again since, and that's been awhile.
misol 08:07 AM 02-17-2010
I have the kids go right before nap also. Even after he pees, my 3-yr old son has to poop about 20 mins after laying down every single day! LOL. I used to try to force him to poop when everyone went potty but there was no use. He just couldn't go until his little body said it was time. He is like a fine tuned machine
Tags:bathroom, nap, potty, restroom
Reply Up