Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Give Yourself Paid Sick Days?
MrsCoffee 11:49 AM 06-04-2010
I give my families each 2 sick days per child to use encase of an emergency. They also get 2 weeks vacation at no charge.

I was considering putting in my 2011 contract that I would receive 2 paid sick days as well, especially after the week I just had it took a lot out of me The only days I have off and paid for are my holidays.
jen 12:02 PM 06-04-2010
No, but I don't give them sick days or vacation days either....
Daycare Mommy 12:12 PM 06-04-2010
My dc parents pay whether they bring the kids or not, they don't get free sick days. With 2 weeks notice they can go on vacation and pay only half for the time they are gone. I don't give myself paid sick days either. It's very rarely that I have to call out, so I don't think it'd be worth the aggravation for me to take it paid. Most of my dc parents are living paycheck to paycheck, so I don't want to put the burden of double paying last minute when I'm sick and they have to find a backup. Not to knock those who do though! I know every single time I've had to call out it's been because a dc kid got me sick so I don't think it's unfair at all if you go that route.
nannyde 12:28 PM 06-04-2010
No sick days for me.
No sick days for them.
originalkat 01:37 PM 06-04-2010
I have 5 paid personal/sick days per year. I just added it this year and I did not have anyone complain.
My vacations (2 weeks per year) are unpaid.
They get 1 free week for vacation per year as well.
They do not get any free days for illness etc...
Janet 02:14 PM 06-04-2010
I don't charge for my sick days or the child's sick days. The only time I charge is if I happen to have a back-up provider available to me.

I don't charge for my vacation time or the daycare family's vacation time either. It keeps it simple for me.

I don't charge for holidays that I'm closed either, but one of my dc moms is insisting on paying me for holidays. I'm like, "huh?" It's a nice surprise!
professionalmom 03:22 PM 06-04-2010
I don't get paid sick days. I get 50% pay for vacation days (but ONLY if I give them at least 2 weeks notice - usually I give 4 weeks or more).

I don't give them free sick days either. They pay whether they are here or not. However, if they give at least 2 weeks notice of time off, they only pay 50%.

It's very simple for me to keep track of: the one taking the time takes the hit, if the person (them or me) give 2 weeks notice, we share the hit with a 50% discount.
Childminder 03:26 PM 06-04-2010
They pay sick child days. I do not charge them if I am sick (two days since 1998.
Janet 03:35 PM 06-04-2010
I generally don't take sick days. I will close if my daughter is sick, though. I pissed off a couple families last year when my daughter caught the H1N1 virus. You would have thought that I stole their car, burned down their house and killed their grandma's! One dcp asked if I could just make her stay downstairs. I blew a fuse over that one. I'm a pretty level headed person and it takes a lot to send me over the edge, but that did it. I was irate and came very close to terminating the family on the spot. Instead I decided to cool off for the next day because maybe I was the one being irrational. I wasn't being irrational, but the time to cool down helped. My daughter was sick for 9 days straight. I didn't regret closing during that time at all. No one else got sick, so it was good that I closed. And how the heck can I be expected to keep my child confined to one level of my home around the clock when the kitchen and the bathroom and her bedroom are all on the daycare level? Even if I had been agreeable to doing that, I couldn't have.
safechner 06:58 PM 06-04-2010
I do not charge them if I am sick or on vacation. In the past, I have been so sick but I never closed daycare because I need to have an income to pay my bills. It is good thing they dont get sick from me at all. If both of my daughters are sick then they would need to stay in their room because they are older now. They are very rarely to get sick.

Yes, I do charge them if they are here or not. I dont charge them when they are on vacation with two weeks notice. Without notice, I would charge them 1/2 rate.
QualiTcare 08:54 PM 06-04-2010
i have someone to come in for backup incase i'm sick - even though it never happens.

i've always told the parents they have to pay full price with the exception of one week unpaid vacation for them. otherwise, they pay - if the kid is sick, if grandma wants to keep them - whatever. i tell them, "you can depend on me not to call and tell you i'm sick and your kid can't come if i can depend on you to pay me every week." i haven't had a problem. it seems to make sense when i put it that way. you don't try to bail out on me, and i won't bail out on you - ever.
QualiTcare 09:14 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
I don't charge for my sick days or the child's sick days. The only time I charge is if I happen to have a back-up provider available to me.

I don't charge for my vacation time or the daycare family's vacation time either. It keeps it simple for me.

I don't charge for holidays that I'm closed either, but one of my dc moms is insisting on paying me for holidays. I'm like, "huh?" It's a nice surprise!
see, i would think if u don't charge for sick days - the parents would take advantage of grandma being off work and call in "sick."

that's another reason i don't give a breakdown of what i charge "per day." i don't charge per day - i charge by how long i keep your child per week/which days (sometimes weekends) and which hours - which can be up til 11pm in my case. i don't ever want them calculating what they SHOULD have to pay if their kid doesn't come one day.
Greenshadow 03:55 AM 06-05-2010
If the parents give me more than a months notice for vacation, I dont make them pay for that time. If they have already paid up and want to take their child out of care for a day to visit someone or whatever, I dont refund. Once the time is paid for, its paid for. With enough notice, they can take one week off a year unpaid. I have not taken time off yet but am going to request a week over Christmas this year. I wont make my parents pay for that week that Im off.
momma2girls 05:48 AM 06-05-2010
I do not have any paid sick days, if I am sick or my child is sick(which I haven't had to take off for over 6 yrs. now) It comes out of my 2 weeks paid vac. or unpaid!!
Unregistered 07:28 PM 06-05-2010
Yes I have 3 paid sick days and 3 paid personal days and I have 9 paid holidays I have 1 week UNPAID vacation a year because I know they might have to pay someone else for a week of care. They pay weather their child is here or not except for 1 unpaid week vacation a year.
judytrickett 06:08 AM 06-06-2010
I don't allow ANY days where a parent can not send their child and not pay. If you commit to care every Mon-Wed then you pay EVERY Mon-Wed etc etc.

Parents pay for every committed to day of care and all stats.

The ONLY time they do not pay is if I take a day off that they would normally come. Then they can get away without paying.

And even then I am now thinking of implementing paid vacation days for ME in my 2011 contract.
Tags:sick days
Reply Up