Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cupcakes Really?
lovemykidstoo 07:19 AM 03-20-2013
I have told people and told people, please don't send cupcakes for treats for birthdays. So, my twins come today with, you guessed it, cupcakes. I said to the dad really???? He said I know, it wasn't me, it was my wife. These cupcakes are loaded with frosting and the frosting is the bright bright pink, green and orange. The twins turned 4 today. They are the oldest that I have. Two of the other kids are under 2 and the other two are under 3. I took ALL of the frosting off and gave them each 1/2 of a cupcake and that is it. There was slightly some on one of the birthday girls cupcake and when cleaning her up, I noticed she had some orange on her white shirt. Oh well. Try and get that out.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 03-20-2013
I usually try and ask parents to not bring cup cakes either but I still get some now and then.

What I do though, is send them home with the kids as they leave. They can get their sugar rush at home when they are not on my clock anymore.
Heidi 07:24 AM 03-20-2013
pretty much the only time my dck's get anything sweet here is cupcakes for birthdays, and I'm the one who makes them (or I pawn it off on my teen). I just take it easy on the frosting.

Everyone here has a color assigned to them; cup, blanket, cubby label, etc.
Birthday cupcakes are always their color.
TheGoodLife 07:26 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
pretty much the only time my dck's get anything sweet here is cupcakes for birthdays, and I'm the one who makes them (or I pawn it off on my teen). I just take it easy on the frosting.

lovemykidstoo 07:29 AM 03-20-2013
I don't mind the cake part or the idea of the sugar as I only give them 1/2 a cupcake and it's really not bad, but the dang frosting is just terrible. When they're that little, they just squeeze it between their fingers and all over their faces and their clothing. That industrial strength dye that they use in the frosting is so hard to get out. I have orange all over my hands just from scraping the frosting off the cupcakes. I would rather have cookies or brownines.
crazydaycarelady 07:45 AM 03-20-2013
I had a dcm send these yesterday. While they are adorable and I appreciate not having to do birthday cupcakes myself, all of the kids had stained faces, hands, and shirts. And cake is so hard to sweep up too!
Attached: 527708_572495649427902_1263706143_n.jpg (51.2 KB) 
Willow 07:45 AM 03-20-2013

I love this idea too!

I cheat and buy cupcakes for birthdays but may start making them just so I can do this!

(I do understand why the mess isn't appealing to most but having a small group we don't have many birthdays so I go all out when we do )
Heidi 07:48 AM 03-20-2013
I have to admit, whenever possible we eat them outside at afternoon snack. But, being in WI, that's not always possible. Thankfully, my Shih Tzu loves cupcakes, and the small amount of chocolate he gets from them hasn't seemed to hurt him yet. I do try to sweep up the big stuff.

As for the frosting, yeah, that bakery stuff is pretty intense. One of the reasons I like to make them. As an alternative, you could do white frosting and sprinkle a little colored sugar on them.
Oneluckymom 08:30 AM 03-20-2013
I have to admit, whenever possible we eat them outside at afternoon snack. But, being in WI, that's not always possible. Thankfully, my Shih Tzu loves cupcakes, and the small amount of chocolate he gets from them hasn't seemed to hurt him yet. I do try to sweep up the big stuff.

As for the frosting, yeah, that bakery stuff is pretty intense. One of the reasons I like to make them. As an alternative, you could do white frosting and sprinkle a little colored sugar on them.
Or just put sprinkles....my kids LOVE sprinkles
Springdaze 08:41 AM 03-20-2013
I don't mind treats as they don't happen very often. when my kids were small, the daycare party was the only one they got
momofsix 08:42 AM 03-20-2013
We usually have birthday cupcakes too. I just throw paint shirts on the kids to avoid the mess on the clothes.
But if you specifically specify no cupcakes for treats, that's just rude and absolutely disregarding your rules. I wouldn't be happy about that.
MyAngels 08:58 AM 03-20-2013
I think the cupcake thing must come out of the "How to be a Good Daycare Parent" handbook because mine make or buy them for every special occasion .

The weird thing is, my dcks don't even like them. I have to scrape all the icing off to even have any chance at all that they'll eat them.

Lately I've been just sending them home with each child.
WImom 09:02 AM 03-20-2013
Birthday's and Holiday's are really the only time my DCK's get sweets so I don't mind. I do only serve them those items at afternoon snack since most go home very soon after and the rest within 45m.
lovemykidstoo 09:06 AM 03-20-2013
Oh just to be clear, I don't mind the sweets at all. I just don't mind the insane coloring of the cupcake frosting, not to mention the 1/4 of it. As long as I scrape off most if not all of the frosting it's fine. That stuff stains instantly and most of my kids like MyAngel said, don't even like it. The little ones (under 2 years) have it all over their face and their hands and it does not come out. But we celebrate each birthday with a treat and also I get them a little gift.
Unregistered 09:12 AM 03-20-2013
I can't stand cupcakes. I mean, I like to eat them myself, but for small children, what a mess! If parents bring them, I cut them up and give the kids a spoon or fork AND if covered in sugary frosting, I feed them for afternoon snack, AFTER naps. If they want to bring the sugar, they are eating before they leave and they can be wound in the evening! haha
mom2many 09:35 AM 03-20-2013
My dcms always want to bring cupcakes to celebrate their child's birthday and although they are messy, I never discourage it. However, I am thrilled, when they can eat them outside!

I prefer homemade ones, because they aren't loaded with gobs of frosting. If they are from the bakery, I scrape off most of it before giving it to them. Less mess and sugar and they don't like it anyways!

I had one funny experience though when one of my more "health conscious" dcms decided to bring homemade cupcakes for her daughter's 1st birthday. She prided herself on hiding veggies in everything. She decided to "hide" broccoli in the white cupcakes. A couple of the older kids questioned why the cake was green. I didn't say anything and when one of the S/A kids took a bite, he made the most awful face and said, "Ewww, it tastes like brocolli!" Needless to say, no one ate them! Carrots & zucchini may fly in cake, but broccoli was a no go!
Jewels 09:43 AM 03-20-2013
Birthdays are also the only time we get sweet treats here, or holidays, I never mind having cupcakes or cookies for those special occasions, they are so few and far between. but thats just me, these kids are so well fed here, today we are having wild alaskan salmon, brown basmatti rice, brocolli and fresh pears, an occasional cupcake I think is great. Now when my son used to be in daycare everyday I picked him up he had a cookie in his hand, uggh! that didn't last long
Jewels 09:44 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
My dcms always want to bring cupcakes to celebrate their child's birthday and although they are messy, I never discourage it. However, I am thrilled, when they can eat them outside!

I prefer homemade ones, because they aren't loaded with gobs of frosting. If they are from the bakery, I scrape off most of it before giving it to them. Less mess and sugar and they don't like it anyways!

I had one funny experience though when one of my more "health conscious" dcms decided to bring homemade cupcakes for her daughter's 1st birthday. She prided herself on hiding veggies in everything. She decided to "hide" broccoli in the white cupcakes. A couple of the older kids questioned why the cake was green. I didn't say anything and when one of the S/A kids took a bite, he made the most awful face and said, "Ewww, it tastes like brocolli!" Needless to say, no one ate them! Carrots & zucchini may fly in cake, but broccoli was a no go!

yyeah carrots and zuchini, brocoli, GROSS!
Jewels 09:46 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh just to be clear, I don't mind the sweets at all. I just don't mind the insane coloring of the cupcake frosting, not to mention the 1/4 of it. As long as I scrape off most if not all of the frosting it's fine. That stuff stains instantly and most of my kids like MyAngel said, don't even like it. The little ones (under 2 years) have it all over their face and their hands and it does not come out. But we celebrate each birthday with a treat and also I get them a little gift.

LOL my daughter only eats the frosting, I have never seen her take a bite of the cake.
littlemissmuffet 09:51 AM 03-20-2013
I don't allow outside food or drinks, no matter what. The fact that the dad said "I know... it was my wife" would have really peeved me off. He KNOWS the rule. I would have sent them right back out the door.

We do have cupcakes for bdays. I buy mini unfrosted ones and I frost and decorate them a particular theme. The kids get them at afternoon snack right before going home. No way am I being stuck in a house with sugared up kids
Lyss 10:24 AM 03-20-2013
Personally I hate when parents bring cupcakes! Frosting is such a pain to clean and frosting or not I spend way too much time cleaning up crumbs that get tracked all over when someone gets up as they all end up with it in shirts and pants. I have a younger group though so that is probably a big part of it.

If parent's bring them (I encourage cookies if they have to bring something) I will scrape off most of the frosting but we only eat them at the end of the day, so when the sugar rush hits they are on their way home!
Jewels 10:32 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Personally I hate when parents bring cupcakes! Frosting is such a pain to clean and frosting or not I spend way too much time cleaning up crumbs that get tracked all over when someone gets up as they all end up with it in shirts and pants. I have a younger group though so that is probably a big part of it.

If parent's bring them (I encourage cookies if they have to bring something) I will scrape off most of the frosting but we only eat them at the end of the day, so when the sugar rush hits they are on their way home!
I feel so happy to have a dog, that cleans every scrap up, when my husband goes hunting, I realize how much food goes on the ground

I guess I have never had a parent bring anything, they all know I provide a birthday treat, so it's never happened.
Crazy8 10:55 AM 03-20-2013
I don't have a no cupcake policy but I do what you did - wipe most of the frosting off them and split them in half and we have them for afternoon snack so kids eat them and go home. I hate when people bring them because I'm trying to diet and I can't resist a good cupcake!
Unregistered 11:03 AM 03-20-2013
We make cupcakes here as a group for birthdays (a lower sugar version) with minimal icing for older ones and no icing for little ones. Not sure all the parents I have would appreciate the wee ones having full surgar/icing version. I know one would not be pleased at all. Maybe just my thing, but I prefer to have control over all foods served. I have know idea how clean a kitchen it was prepared in or how ingredients etc. were stored. Plus I've had littles with alergies in the past, that other parents never seem to remember. No Food From Home.
lovemykidstoo 11:06 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't have a no cupcake policy but I do what you did - wipe most of the frosting off them and split them in half and we have them for afternoon snack so kids eat them and go home. I hate when people bring them because I'm trying to diet and I can't resist a good cupcake!
That's funny because I was just saying this morning that as much as I don't like the cupcakes brought here, it is the 1 treat that I can do without!! LOL! So, I guess I should be happy that that is what they brought today! Now the other birthday was last month and the mom brought the kernelless popcorn that had been covered with white chocolate and marshmellow. oh man, i could have eaten the whole bowl!!
My3cents 11:46 AM 03-20-2013
I usually make the kids cupcakes or buy them for birthdays. I don't do sweets any other time besides Holidays, so it is a true treat for everyone.
mema 12:53 PM 03-20-2013
I'm not a cupcake fan here either (well, me personally-I love them), but the dck's don't even eat them. They may pick a little here and there, but for the most part, they would prefer a cookie. The laste dck's b-day, dcm asked if she could bring cupcakes and I told her cookies would be better since the kids never eat more than a bite of cupcake. She looked at me like I was nuts and then one kid piped up and said, yea, they are yucky! She brought cookies!
AfterSchoolMom 01:33 PM 03-20-2013
What time is pickup? Just give them out about 20 minutes before that.
spud912 01:41 PM 03-20-2013
Ahh, I'm pretty laid back about this. I try to limit sweets to only holiday celebrations or birthdays, but I've found that on occasion I will give them a treat to coordinate with one of our themes. For example, for camping week, the kids had s'mores on one of the days. The treats are only given at snack time (which "happens" to be right before pick-up time ), so unfortunately for the parents, they deal with the craziness.
Patches 02:58 PM 03-20-2013
Is it bad that this thread is just making me want cupcakes??
CedarCreek 03:23 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Me too!

I much prefer brownies though.
Lyss 04:17 PM 03-20-2013
Me too!
TheGoodLife 08:57 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Me too!

I much prefer brownies though.
Mmmmm, brownies
Kaddidle Care 04:47 AM 03-21-2013
If you had specifically asked them not to bring them you should have sent them right back out with the Dad at the door.

We would let them have cupcakes but asked that they bring the minis. Some parents sent the mega Sam's Club style ones and we'd cut them in half but the amount of food dye in those type cupcakes is nauseating. What a mess!
sahm1225 04:47 PM 03-23-2013
Mmmmm cupcakes!!

I do what the other poster said and hand them out for afternoon snack (so usually right before pick up time).

I actually enjoy when they send treats. I look forward to it actually! But my dcp's usually send mini cupcakes and one of my families will bake special ones just for us grown ups
Starburst 07:40 PM 03-23-2013
Im putting in my policies that no outside food is allowed unless only for that child due to exteme allergies or for the whole group for special occations and because of the posibilities of food allergies such as peanuts (they don't even have to eat it to have a re-action) all food brought MUST be pre-approved at least 24 hours before hand. Any food that is not pre-approved will not be accepted. Espesually after I heard that story about the college student that died from eating a cookie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsseFbn1qc).

Also I heard that in my state parent's are not really allowed to bring homemade treats at schools/ group child care programs (they need to be store bought).
Meeko 02:02 PM 03-24-2013
I have a no cup cake policy. I have never met a kid who didn't just lick off the frosting and then crumble up the cake.

It is also a state reg here that all treats must be individually wrapped and commercially prepared. Absolutely NO homemade food.
mbullette 10:58 AM 03-25-2013
I honestly dont see what the big deal is. If you dont want them to have the sugar while in your care then send them home with each child. I am sorry but it honestly makes me so upset when people complain about Birthday treats. The kids have a Birthday once per year. Its their special day and they deserve to be happy and celebrate. Our kids are not allowed to be kids anymore and its just sad. The schools are taking everything away from them and they are not allowed to be kids. I understand everyone is trying to be healthy but come on.
lovemykidstoo 11:03 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I honestly dont see what the big deal is. If you dont want them to have the sugar while in your care then send them home with each child. I am sorry but it honestly makes me so upset when people complain about Birthday treats. The kids have a Birthday once per year. Its their special day and they deserve to be happy and celebrate. Our kids are not allowed to be kids anymore and its just sad. The schools are taking everything away from them and they are not allowed to be kids. I understand everyone is trying to be healthy but come on.
Who are you posting to? I'm the OP, are you speaking to me or responding to someone else's post?
Luna 11:03 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have a no cup cake policy. I have never met a kid who didn't just lick off the frosting and then crumble up the cake.

It is also a state reg here that all treats must be individually wrapped and commercially prepared. Absolutely NO homemade food.
No homemade food period, or just treats? Can you make muffins or cookies with the kids and eat them? That really seems like a harsh rule!
We have mini cupcakes here once in a while, but most of my dcks don't care for them so it isn't really an issue.
CedarCreek 12:15 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
No homemade food period, or just treats? Can you make muffins or cookies with the kids and eat them? That really seems like a harsh rule!
We have mini cupcakes here once in a while, but most of my dcks don't care for them so it isn't really an issue.
I think that's no homemade food from the parents.

My sons school has that rule.
Lyss 12:52 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I think that's no homemade food from the parents.

My sons school has that rule.
Our schools have this same rule. Only unopened store bought foods are allowed.
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I agree that kids only have one special day a year but unless the parent had the insight to take the day off and celebrate in whatever way they wished to with their child, then the child (family) needs to follow whatever the rules are for wherever they attend.

Call me mean, cold hearted or uncaring but as a child care provider adding an additional task of making sure a child has a wonderful and special birthday experience is really not part of the services I offer.

NO offense to those providers who do go out of their way to celebrate birthdays and such for their DCK's. I mean no disrespect. It simply is not something I do and it is well known BEFORE enrollment so I definitely don't feel as though I am shorting anyone of anything.
Willow 01:52 PM 03-25-2013
OT - Although I have heard public schools requiring treats brought from home be commercially prepared and packaged I have never heard that same rule applying to licensing regs for FCC.

I get if as an individual provider one doesn't want to allow any outside food but across the board as a reg there's no way that would ever fly.

How would a parent provide pre-packed commercially prepared breast milk for example??
Starburst 02:26 PM 03-25-2013
It depends on the state rules. My ECE teacher who did a class that covered everything in CA's Title 22 says that in our state they prefer everything that is not made at the daycare home to be made at a store because it has to do with nutritional standards, health & safety stantdards (washing hands/ limiting cross contamination), and making sure that the ingredents/portion sizes are listed on the packaging. Although, homemade food is healthier on average but some families have "secret ingredients" that some kids may be allergic too with out thinking about it. I am not going to jeapordize the life of another child because that family didn't listen to my instructions or jeapordize my liscense/business by not following a simple rule. And just because they cannot bring snacks from home doesn't mean that they cannot have a good birthday at daycare, I also plan on buying small gifts and I may make some things or buy a snack for the group- and if the food is store bought and they let me know ahead of time and it is something I say is okay than they can bring it (but dark sodas or overly sugary drinks will NEVER be accepted in my program). Some people also argue that they shouldn't even eat those treats at school/daycare because we should be teaching them about healthy eating choices and healthy habits; though you may argue back that part of that is teaching moderation when it comes to junk food. Some families come from cultures or religions were they don't celebrate birthdays or holidays (in which case they are welcome to tell me not to celebrate their child's birthday or to not be present on those partie days). Some cultures/religions also have strict rules about that they cannot certain food product (like some brands of Jello) or certain combos in one meal (mixing dairy with meat); I think it would be unfair that the child would have to miss out and not even get to try it when everyone around them is enjoying it because there is a posibility that their family doesn't allow it or because he is allergic- also some allegergies like peanuts if someone eats something with peanuts and then touches an allergic person or doesn't brush their teeth and the allegric person is touched by the peanut eater or even smells it they could break out in a rash or worse into anaphylactic shock.

I think it's also a safety rule, because there are some nutjobs out there. Just like when you take kids 'trick or treating' and tell them that if a candy has been opened or has any holes they cannot eat it; although in the whole 200 years of Halloween history there haven't been many claims of tampered candy and in almost all of those cases the tampering was actually done by a close family friend or relative. http://www.tampabay.com/features/par...n-myth/1047841

It's not just that they are bringing food from home, its that it's the intent that they share it with ALL the children in the daycare. If the food is only for the specific child of those parents than it doesn't really matter but since this is group care I don't think fair for only them to get a treat, espesually if you celebrate all the birthdays of the month together on one day. If the treat is only for them, they can wait until they get home to eat it with their own family.
Crystal 02:37 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
It depends on the state rules. My ECE teacher who did a class that covered everything in CA's Title 22 says that in our state they want everything that is not made at the daycare home to be made at a store because it has to do with nutritional standards, health & safety stantdards (washing hands/ limiting cross contamination), and making sure that the ingredents/portion sizes are listed on the packaging. Although, homemade food is healthier on average but some families have "secret ingredients" that some kids may be allergic too with out thinking about it. I am not going to jeapordize the life of another child because that family didn't listen to my instructions or jeapordize my liscense/business by not following a simple rule. And just because they cannot bring snacks from home doesn't mean that they cannot have a good birthday at daycare, I also plan on buying small gifts. Some people also argue that they shouldn't even eat those treats at school/daycare because we should be teaching them about healthy eating choices and healthy habits; though you may argue back that part of that is teaching moderation when it comes to junk food. Some families come from cultures or religions were they don't celebrate birthdays or holidays (in which case they are welcome to tell me not to celebrate their child's birthday or to not be present on those partie days). Some cultures/religions also have strict rules about that they cannot certain food product (like some brands of Jello) or certain combos in one meal (mixing dairy with meat); I think it would be unfair that the child would have to miss out and not even get to try it when everyone around them is enjoying it because there is a posibility that their family doesn't allow it or because he is allergic- also some allegergies like peanuts if someone eats something with peanuts and then touches an allergic person or doesn't brush their teeth and the allegric person is touched by the peanut eater or even smells it they could break out in a rash or worse into anaphylactic shock.

I think it's also a safety rule, because there are some nutjobs out there. Just like when you take kids 'trick or treating' and tell them that if a candy has been opened or has any holes they cannot eat it; although in the whole 200 years of Halloween history there haven't been many claims of tampered candy and in almost all of those cases the tampering was actually done by a close family friend or relative. http://www.tampabay.com/features/par...n-myth/1047841

It's not just that they are bringing food from home, its that it's the intent that they share it with ALL the children in the daycare. If the food is only for the specific child of those parents than it doesn't really matter but since this is group care I don't think fair for only them to get a treat, espesually if you celebrate all the birthdays of the month together on one day. If the treat is only for them, they can wait until they get home to eat it with their own family.
Do you have a link to that reg? I have been in business for 16 years in California and have never heard that.
Crystal 02:43 PM 03-25-2013
double post removed
Starburst 02:57 PM 03-25-2013
It maybe more required for voluntary programs such as NAEYC or NAFCC accreditation (which I plan on applying for, hopefully). It has more to do with the fact that there is no proof of a sanitary cooking conditions and because the ingredients are not listed. My teacher said that they are trying to make it a Title 22 requirement because of this. Some counties have different standards than others but it doens't hurt to keep up to date on title 22, because it changes all the time and if you are not sure you can always call your DHS.

http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/CCCRe...Highlights.pdf

http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recip...od-at-daycare/
Crystal 04:00 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
It maybe more required for voluntary programs such as NAEYC or NAFCC accreditation (which I plan on applying for, hopefully). It has more to do with the fact that there is no proof of a sanitary cooking conditions and because the ingredients are not listed. My teacher said that they are trying to make it a Title 22 requirement because of this. Some counties have different standards than others but it doens't hurt to keep up to date on title 22, because it changes all the time and if you are not sure you can always call your DHS.

http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/CCCRe...Highlights.pdf

http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recip...od-at-daycare/
I certainly agree that providers should stay current with licensing reg changes. I check the site at least monthly. I am well-versed in daycare regs and that is why I asked for a link, because I had never heard of it and thought to myslef "gee....how'd I miss that one?"

So, FTR, it's NOT a reg, just a recommendation from your teacher.
MizzCheryl 05:12 PM 03-25-2013
Birthdays are my thing!! I love if a parent actually offers to provide the cake. Most of the time I just make it.
The kids get a birthday book starring them. I decorate the daycare and we eat junk. I take pics all day and then while they nap I work my self silly making their book. Their eyes light up when they wake up and find it. By the time they are 3 or 4 they know they are getting a bday book and they can't wait. A ton of early literacy snuck into their birthday.

But the parents should respect your wishes. Maybe a Big cookie or donuts would be better. Or you could give them a list of birthday treats you allow.
Meeko 08:35 AM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I bake with the kids ALL the time! We are making treats at least once a week.

Because I am a state regulated facility, that's OK. I can send goodies home with the kids.

But no outside food is allowed that isn't commercially prepared. That's because we have no way of knowing the conditions in which it was prepared. They don't want treats given to the kids that may have been prepared in a filthy kitchen.

It sometimes seems silly that treats full of preservatives and color etc can be served, but homemade oatmeal cookies aren't allowed....but I do see their point.

I am actually grateful to have told a few parents that I can't accept their homemade treats because I KNEW that their homes were disgusting.

We are only allowed to give the children individual portions too...no sharing. Our trainers told us a few years back, they had a provider take her kids to Thanksgiving Point (a beautiful garden park) She brought some trail mix in a big bag and all the kids were dipping into it. Turns out she didn't know one of the kids had Hep (can't remember which one) and they all got it...including the provider. So no group snacks allowed any more. Individual plates/bags etc.
Tags:brownies, cupcakes, recipe
Reply Up