Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry The Snarky Joneses

Okay...you know that saying, "Keeping up with the Joneses?"--well, I provide child care for some of the actual Joneses. They both earn high professional incomes and live in a luxurious, pristine home because their kids do the majority of their living at my house. So, my young daughter buys me this garden statue for my birthday. Yes, it's pretty kitschy, but I love it because I love my daughter, and I display it proudly. Their kids are obsessed with it and have to pat it on the head upon entering. This leads to the Joneses repeatedly making snarky, sarcastic comments about it. "Your daughter has excellent taste."--smirk. "Wow, she outdid herself."--smirk. Trust me--these are not compliments. This is bothering me way more than it should. It's just hard to open your home to people and have them be snobby pricks and comment on things that have nothing to do with the day care! (I'm considering buying their kids one for Christmas--he! he!)
I'm not very good at replies, so anyone have a good one?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 AM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

I would say something matter of fact, that puts her in her place, and hopefully makes her ashamed of herself for beig cruel and snarky and degrading.

I would refer to the fact that you love it because your daughter picked it out, and that is far more important to you than how it looks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
MamaBearCanada's Avatar
MamaBearCanada MamaBearCanada is offline
Blessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 701
Default

"Wow your daughter has excellent taste." " She really outdid herself."


With a smile:

"Yes, I'm very proud of her kindness."

"Yes, I'm blessed that she cares so much she would take the time to think of me and choose something all by herself."

"Yes, I love the gesture even more than the great gift."

"Isn't it funny how material things don't matter when you love your kids, just the gesture?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada View Post
"Wow your daughter has excellent taste." " She really outdid herself."


With a smile:

"Yes, I'm very proud of her kindness."

"Yes, I'm blessed that she cares so much she would take the time to think of me and choose something all by herself."

"Yes, I love the gesture even more than the great gift."

"Isn't it funny how material things don't matter when you love your kids, just the gesture?"
. I think the last one is my fav!
But I REALLY like the idea of getting her kids one for Christmas!! With the comment- I know your children and YOU love it so much because of how much you compliment it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

I would consider snide and snarky comments like that as disrespectful to your daughter (weather she hears/understands them or not). That would be a violation of my policies (respect for me, my family, and my home). Yes, she has a right to her own opinion but that doesn't mean she has to be rude and share them with you.

Some comebacks on comments on your daughter's taste:

"Yes, she does." (just say it with a smile, she might get the hint)

"She saved up for it herself and bought it just for me, and that makes it more priceless than all the Picasso paintings in the world in my eyes." (a little cheesy but hopefully enough to paralyze her in her tracks)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Y'all are nice because I would have simply said

" gosh that was rude! I cherish everything my kids give me, regardless of style or price!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Y'all are nice because I would have simply said

" gosh that was rude! I cherish everything my kids give me, regardless of style or price!"
and end it with "Don't you?" listen to them stammer for a bit...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,320
Default

Really? How pond-scummy of them.

More of the mentality of "I pay you so I can say/do whatever I want".

I'd definitely make one of the above comments...and make sure they feel horrible about it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca View Post
and end it with "Don't you?" listen to them stammer for a bit...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Holy cow. Sometimes the things people say amaze me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

I don't care for hints.

Away from the children I would say "I don't like it when you make comments about my child's gift to me. She picked it out herself thinking I would love it and I do because it IS the thought that counts. No comment at all is better than one that might hurt her feelings." Then when she stammers and says she was just kidding or whatever then I'd say. "Well none of us think it is funny, okay?" Saying okay pretty much forces them to answer and feel bad (hopefully).

When I was working in a Montessori preschool years ago we taught the children to say "I don't like it when _____________." It works well for adults too.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I don't care for hints.

Away from the children I would say "I don't like it when you make comments about my child's gift to me. She picked it out herself thinking I would love it and I do because it IS the thought that counts. No comment at all is better than one that might hurt her feelings." Then when she stammers and says she was just kidding or whatever then I'd say. "Well none of us think it is funny, okay?" Saying okay pretty much forces them to answer and feel bad (hopefully).

When I was working in a Montessori preschool years ago we taught the children to say "I don't like it when _____________." It works well for adults too.

Laurel
Exactly this.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I don't care for hints.

Away from the children I would say "I don't like it when you make comments about my child's gift to me. She picked it out herself thinking I would love it and I do because it IS the thought that counts. No comment at all is better than one that might hurt her feelings." Then when she stammers and says she was just kidding or whatever then I'd say. "Well none of us think it is funny, okay?" Saying okay pretty much forces them to answer and feel bad (hopefully).

When I was working in a Montessori preschool years ago we taught the children to say "I don't like it when _____________." It works well for adults too.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Y'all are nice because I would have simply said

" gosh that was rude! I cherish everything my kids give me, regardless of style or price!"


I once had a parent comment on the pencil holder on my desk. My ds made it at camp and I LOVE it. I said something very similar and she stfu.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:55 AM
kimsdaycare's Avatar
kimsdaycare kimsdaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 118
Default

I would have just smiled big and told her "Yup, you can always tell which houses are decorated by the love of a child rather than the love of pretty things. It reminds me everyday how much love fills this home. You can't buy that feeling at some trendy store, no matter how much you spend! "

Smile big again and pat the little statue on it's head like it's earned it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare View Post
I would have just smiled big and told her "Yup, you can always tell which houses are decorated by the love of a child rather than the love of pretty things. It reminds me everyday how much love fills this home. You can't buy that feeling at some trendy store, no matter how much you spend! "

Smile big again and pat the little statue on it's head like it's earned it
My fav! It is actually sincere but gets your point across
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post


I once had a parent comment on the pencil holder on my desk. My ds made it at camp and I LOVE it. I said something very similar and she stfu.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
Really? How pond-scummy of them.

More of the mentality of "I pay you so I can say/do whatever I want".

I'd definitely make one of the above comments...and make sure they feel horrible about it.
Yeah...right? I think this is why I can't let it go.--And they expect me to gush about a new headband, a picture of their son taking a bath, etc., but make-fun of what my kids do!? Trust me, I'm not doing back-flips either, but I know how to be polite.My husband told me to tell them that effective immediately, I will be raising my rates to compensate for expensive birthday gifts
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah...right? I think this is why I can't let it go.--And they expect me to gush about a new headband, a picture of their son taking a bath, etc., but make-fun of what my kids do!? Trust me, I'm not doing back-flips either, but I know how to be polite.My husband told me to tell them that effective immediately, I will be raising my rates to compensate for expensive birthday gifts
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parents - disrespect, parents - snarky remarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming