Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Cold For Toddlers Today?
Leigh 07:44 AM 09-12-2013
This morning every one of my kids showed up dressed for a hot day. We usually head outdoors right after breakfast. It is 57 degrees here, and every kid but mine is in short sleeves, shorts, and sandals. They want to go outdoors, but I don't like sending kids out in shorts when the temps are under 65...one mom commented at drop off about how cold it was today (but still sent her kid in shorts), and that the high for today is only supposed to be 70. Would you send kids out in shorts, or tell their parents at pickup that their kids missed morning playtime because they weren't dressed for the weather?

Even with their jackets that I required them to leave here, I don't like sending them out in the cool weather at 1-3 years of age, because they are not able to tell me when they are feeling too cold.
Heidi 07:45 AM 09-12-2013
Yes, take them out. It's 57, not 27, and they have jackets. We have the same weather here and my 11 week old was out this morning already.
Cat Herder 07:49 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Would you send kids out in shorts, or tell their parents at pickup that their kids missed morning playtime because they weren't dressed for the weather?
No. On both counts.

I'd pull our playground sweatpants (dark colors, collected from clearance sales) over their shorts and send 'em on out.

I also banned all sandals and open-toed shoes entirely, years ago.

Simplified my life.

** I don't allow parents to effect the day to day activities here. Once I took back control, my stress level went to zero.
Leigh 07:58 AM 09-12-2013
Thanks for sharing your opinions...I honestly think I am turning into my mother. We used to call the weather hotline every minute as kids, because Mom wouldn't allow us to wear shorts under 70 degrees. I can remember the disappointment of hearing 69 degrees come across that phone! I have had kids start shivering and shaking in the warm pool water on hot days, so I just don't trust myself to judge (and I like it COLD, so judging whether they are cold shouldn't be up to me!). We're heading outside, then.
itlw8 08:01 AM 09-12-2013
57 is not cold.. ok too chilly to swim but in the summer they still give lessons at 57. a jacket would be too hot when they start running.
MotherNature 09:09 AM 09-12-2013
57 sounds awesome. Maybe a light windbreaker, but definitely ok to play outside in..but not waterplay.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
57 sounds awesome. Maybe a light windbreaker, but definitely ok to play outside in..but not waterplay.
It's 61F here and ALL my kiddos are in shorts and T's. Myself included.

It's a beautiful day here and the amount of moving these kids do, they could be naked and still be warm.
momofboys 09:28 AM 09-12-2013
It's not that chilly here - but really 57 is not cold at all - I would be outside when it was 37 if the windchill wasn't bad (with coats on of course!). Once they get moving they will warm up.
cheerfuldom 10:20 AM 09-12-2013
I have gone to providing extra clothing too but the kids do not get sent home with these items. Last winter I provided snow clothing, boots, hats and mittens. Parents provide a winter coat.

I have thought about going to splash pants and sweats and hoodies for the fall. I am just so done with trying to explain appropriate play wear to parents so I dont even try. But I also dont keep the kids in if one is dressed inappropriately. we just work around it.
SilverSabre25 10:28 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am just so done with trying to explain appropriate play wear to parents so I dont even try. But I also dont keep the kids in if one is dressed inappropriately. we just work around it.
Yeah....this....totally this.
Leigh 10:44 AM 09-12-2013
Thanks, ladies, for the advice. I hate keeping them in, but then I worry about them being cold out there, too, since we don't have hats and mittens here (I send them home in the spring, and tell parents when to bring them in the fall). I considered providing clothing, but really, it is the responsibility of the parent. I am just going to ask the parents to provide a pair of sweatpants or something similar that can go over their shorts for fall/spring weather when we have 40 degree mornings and 75 degree afternoons. No one froze to death, no one complained of being cold (other than the mom at drop-off).
melilley 10:44 AM 09-12-2013
57 is cold to me... I am always cold though, it has to be near 80 to be hot to me!
I would still go outside though, but with coats on.
I have one family, who I swear dresses their child in opposite clothing. It will be hot and he will be wearing long sleeves and pants or cold and he will be wearing shorts and a t shirt or just a onesie. Today it is warm and he is wearing a long sleeved onesie with no pants.?
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
57 is cold to me... ?
Me, too... Down here it is a wet, windy cold in the early mornings. Burns straight to the bones.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Thanks, ladies, for the advice. I hate keeping them in, but then I worry about them being cold out there, too, since we don't have hats and mittens here (I send them home in the spring, and tell parents when to bring them in the fall). I considered providing clothing, but really, it is the responsibility of the parent. I am just going to ask the parents to provide a pair of sweatpants or something similar that can go over their shorts for fall/spring weather when we have 40 degree mornings and 75 degree afternoons. No one froze to death, no one complained of being cold (other than the mom at drop-off).
I USED to keep a pretty big stash of extra's too but honestly I feel the same....it is the parents responsibility to provide the right clothing for their child.

Now when I ask for specific clothes and the parent doesn't bring them, I will call them right before we head outside and ask them to either bring the requested items immediately or come pick up their child immediately.

Up to them which choice they make. I am so beyond coddling parents.
Tags:outside play winter, toddler
Reply Up