Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Calling Others...What Should I Do
Needavacanow 04:17 PM 01-24-2014
So DCD just came in and told me that another DCM had called him/his wife last night to complain about me. He wasn't sure of exact complaints, something along the lines of no communication on my part.
This mom was just here until she could get her boy into sisters daycare, started Dec, leaving at end of month. She's the first one here in the morning and always comes a couple of minutes after closing. I have missed countless sporting events of DS because of this (when you have to leave at 445, you have to leave, you ladies know how it is) so family has taken off without me.
So last night she texts that she's going to be late and ends of showing up almost an hour late. I didn't see her as her husband showed up at the same time and came in to get DCB. He mumbled something about "going to have a talk with his wife, she called me.." Whatever. So I ran to car, had to wait for her to move and left.
This morning she apologized and I was of course pretty blunt about all the lates and missing my class last night, and I 'accidentally' insinuated I only have to deal with this crap for one more week, I'm bad for verbal diarreah.
DCM came to pick up a little early today, I faked good spirits, DCB so funny today blah blah blah. And then other DCD told me about phone call last night and I'm beyond shocked. I can't wrap my head around why she'd feel the need to trash me to long term clients because she was late.
So what should I do? Is there liability issues by immediate termination or by waiting out the week. And I should add that she did try calling another DCP but she never accepted the call, thank god I only gave her two reference numbers.
TwinKristi 04:34 PM 01-24-2014
WOW!! I would be livid!! I would call her tonight and explain that what she did was unacceptable and that if she had a problem with you she should address that with YOU, not other clients. I would tell her that due to this she will be termed immediately, unless you contract states otherwise. But be prepared for some backlash!!
daycare 04:43 PM 01-24-2014
I would not term over this. I think doing that will only fuel the fire. It is already coming to an end.

i would call or email the mother and let her know that you are aware of the phone calls. try to sympathize with her saying that you understand that she feels frustrated and maybe you were looking to vent, but that if there is ever an issue, it needs to be brought to your attention. I might add I expect each family to be able to communicate with me at all times if/when ever there are issues. Building trusting relationships here is important. What happens with you and her is no one else business and that she needs to only discuss any matters. You are running a business and these are the rules that each family has agreed to at the time of enrollment.

Let her know if there are any issues that you can address and that if she has any issues, she needs to take them up with you. I would say this and let it go. they are already on their way out.
LadyMacbeth 04:49 PM 01-24-2014
I had a similar problem. A dcm didn't like my cutting her off when she started ex husband bashing and so she started nit picking about everything else and started calling other parents to get them to do the same.

Best you can do is go the extra mile for the other parents and they'll make up their own mind about you. As for the gossipy mom, I would terminate. That behavior is inexcusable no matter what you said. Obviously she made one family uncomfortable
Needavacanow 05:02 PM 01-24-2014
I think I should clarify that when I stated that she was leaving and I wouldn't have to put up with her lateness after this next week it was in jest, albeit poor taste, that was AFTER the calls to other DCPs. She called them the night she was an hour late as some kind of... I don't know, getting some kind of upper hand because she's worried about being termed or.. I just don't know. She didn't call because of what I said.
daycare 05:03 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Needavacanow:
I think I should clarify that when I stated that she was leaving and I wouldn't have to put up with her lateness after this next week it was in jest, albeit poor taste, that was AFTER the calls to other DCPs. She called them the night she was an hour late as some kind of... I don't know, getting some kind of upper hand because she's worried about being termed or.. I just don't know. She didn't call because of what I said.
how many weeks does she have left?
mountainside13 05:17 PM 01-24-2014
If she is doing those things when her child is still in your care I would be afraid what she would do if you termed immediately. If it was me I would stick it out. But you do what you feel is right!
Needavacanow 05:19 PM 01-24-2014
One week, until the end of the month.
Daycare, I could put up with anything for a week. We've all termed and had just one more week of bad behaviours from both parents and children, but isn't this different in that she's going out of her way to wary parents of me. That seems a little evil to me, different than the parents who are late, flakey, not all there. This is just downright mean. I am livid right now, and am with Twinkristi that she shouldn't be able to do that with no repercussions. And do I really have to let this woman into my home knowing what I know. That's just demeaning.
AmyLeigh 05:22 PM 01-24-2014
Daycare, I could put up with anything for a week. We've all termed and had just one more week of bad behaviours from both parents and children, but isn't this different in that she's going out of her way to wary parents of me. That seems a little evil to me, different than the parents who are late, flakey, not all there. This is just downright mean. I am livid right now, and am with Twinkristi that she shouldn't be able to do that with no repercussions. And do I really have to let this woman into my home knowing what I know. That's just demeaning.
It looks like you just answered your own question. Hope it works out for you.
Needavacanow 05:26 PM 01-24-2014
I was thinking the same thing Mountainside. Maybe she thought I wouldn't be told?
But what are things parents do if they're termed? Internet trashing? I'm in Canada, doubt she'd even confront me lol. Know I won't confront her after term letter sent.
cheerfuldom 05:53 PM 01-24-2014
I would term immediately. Then I would have a short explanation to all parents so that it has been addressed directly and respectfully to them, even if they have not been called yet because they may hear about it in the future.

"Jen, I wanted to let you know that Kim and her daughter Ava will not longer be with our group. It is my understanding that she was calling parents complaining about my services while I was working with this family. Clearly she was not happy here so I did go ahead and end that relationship. If you ever have any concerns about anything that another parent tries to say or involved you in, I would appreciate the chance to discuss any concerns you might have. I hope that after X years of working with you, my reputation would speak for itself"
TwinKristi 06:25 PM 01-24-2014
Yeah I just can't imagine faking it with not only the mom but the kid all week long! Then she also feels she like she has you backed into a corner, she has the upper hand. She's probably hoping that your other clients will start thinking and brewing her notions and leave too. I just wouldn't tolerate that BS from anyone let alone someone who was in the wrong and is only a temp spot! Heck no! I mean I put up with more than I should in some cases but I wouldn't put up with blatant disrespect and honestly downright blatant smack talking about me. And I would term her immediately and like the ^^ said, compose a letter to the parents and apologize for the nonsense and thank those who came to you. They obviously know that this wasn't cool and alerted you for damage control. Glad you only have 2 numbers too! Most of the parents on my referrals list are past parents, only 1 current one.
mountainside13 06:30 PM 01-24-2014
I was thinking the same thing Mountainside. Maybe she thought I wouldn't be told?
But what are things parents do if they're termed? Internet trashing? I'm in Canada, doubt she'd even confront me lol. Know I won't confront her after term letter sent.
I'm guessing she thought the other parents wouldn't say anything which maybe why she did it. There is a whole list of things parents will do if they are upset with a provider, justified or not.

Facebook trashing
Craigslist and other advertisement site that providers use to fill openings.
Call licensing
Harass you
AngiesCareXYZ 08:50 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would not term over this. I think doing that will only fuel the fire. It is already coming to an end.

i would call or email the mother and let her know that you are aware of the phone calls. try to sympathize with her saying that you understand that she feels frustrated and maybe you were looking to vent, but that if there is ever an issue, it needs to be brought to your attention. I might add I expect each family to be able to communicate with me at all times if/when ever there are issues. Building trusting relationships here is important. What happens with you and her is no one else business and that she needs to only discuss any matters. You are running a business and these are the rules that each family has agreed to at the time of enrollment.

Let her know if there are any issues that you can address and that if she has any issues, she needs to take them up with you. I would say this and let it go. they are already on their way out.

KidGrind 05:36 AM 01-25-2014
I would think about terming. I would address the DCM:

Hello Jane, how was your day? I wanted to take the time to address your calling other clients to discuss my lack of communication. How does that resolve your perception of a problem?

She responds & if it’s BS I’d continue.

Well, I’m perplexed. I also don’t tolerate disrespect or the attempt to turn wonderful clients into a mob of unhappy parents. I know Jr. is your beloved. I know what a good mother you are & would never take the chance of leaving Jr. with someone you have concerns about. This will be his last day in my care.

She shares it’s inconvenient blah, blah, blah.

I am sure it’s inconvenient and puts you in a predicament. Your calling clients outside the context of your receiving their private information is a violation of trust and placed me in an unfortunate predicament. You have left me with no other alternative. Jr. was a joy to provide care for. I wish you the best.
Maria2013 05:47 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

Unregistered 05:50 AM 01-25-2014
This got me thinking about how I am communicating with my daycare parents. I occasionally send out emails as a group email, which lists everyone'e email address.

Should I be sending these out under blind copy instead? Am I violating parent's privacy by listing everyone's email address? Also, that would be a way for a disgruntled parent to contact each other, as I know they do not know each other's last names....

What do you all do?
itlw8 05:56 AM 01-25-2014
she was upset so she was trying to hurt you or drum up business for her sisters childcare
KidGrind 06:01 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
she was upset so she was trying to hurt you or drum up business for her sisters childcare

Blackcat31 07:12 AM 01-25-2014
I would term immediately for any family that behaved in that manner.

I do NOT tolerate disrespect and I certainly would not continue to provide care to a family that felt the need to badmouth me in any way.

I just experienced a VERY uncomfortable on-the-spot termination yesterday for these very reasons. The parent was floored that I would go so far as to term her for a few bad words she said.

I simply told her the words are untrue, the fact that they were behind my back were unacceptable and that I do not tolerate ANYONE trash talking me....especially about issues that were not brought to my attention first.

The behavior of parents these days towards their providers is astounding and I am continually amazed at the things parents will do or say about the person they are trusting to care for their child.

Seriously makes me doubt everyone now days and that in and of itself is sad.
cheerfuldom 07:19 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
good point!!
cheerfuldom 07:20 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would term immediately for any family that behaved in that manner.

I do NOT tolerate disrespect and I certainly would not continue to provide care to a family that felt the need to badmouth me in any way.

I just experienced a VERY uncomfortable on-the-spot termination yesterday for these very reasons. The parent was floored that I would go so far as to term her for a few bad words she said.

I simply told her the words are untrue, the fact that they were behind my back were unacceptable and that I do not tolerate ANYONE trash talking me....especially about issues that were not brought to my attention first.

The behavior of parents these days towards their providers is astounding and I am continually amazed at the things parents will do or say about the person they are trusting to care for their child.

Seriously makes me doubt everyone now days and that in and of itself is sad.
really? wow. what an awful day for you as well. Do you mind if I ask what the issue was regarding?

It is very frustrating when parents complain with talking to us and giving us the chance to remedy the situation first.
Scout 07:57 AM 01-25-2014
nevermind!
mountainside13 08:00 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This got me thinking about how I am communicating with my daycare parents. I occasionally send out emails as a group email, which lists everyone'e email address.

Should I be sending these out under blind copy instead? Am I violating parent's privacy by listing everyone's email address? Also, that would be a way for a disgruntled parent to contact each other, as I know they do not know each other's last names....

What do you all do?
I would send messages out individually.
Babyluver21 08:26 AM 01-25-2014
So DCD just came in and told me that another DCM had called him/his wife last night to complain about me. He wasn't sure of exact complaints, something along the lines of no communication on my part.
This mom was just here until she could get her boy into sisters daycare, started Dec, leaving at end of month. She's the first one here in the morning and always comes a couple of minutes after closing. I have missed countless sporting events of DS because of this (when you have to leave at 445, you have to leave, you ladies know how it is) so family has taken off without me.
So last night she texts that she's going to be late and ends of showing up almost an hour late. I didn't see her as her husband showed up at the same time and came in to get DCB. He mumbled something about "going to have a talk with his wife, she called me.." Whatever. So I ran to car, had to wait for her to move and left.
This morning she apologized and I was of course pretty blunt about all the lates and missing my class last night, and I 'accidentally' insinuated I only have to deal with this crap for one more week, I'm bad for verbal diarreah.
DCM came to pick up a little early today, I faked good spirits, DCB so funny today blah blah blah. And then other DCD told me about phone call last night and I'm beyond shocked. I can't wrap my head around why she'd feel the need to trash me to long term clients because she was late.
So what should I do? Is there liability issues by immediate termination or by waiting out the week. And I should add that she did try calling another DCP but she never accepted the call, thank god I only gave her two reference numbers.
I would term!!! Her badmouthing you to other parents is unacceptable, especially considering that your other clients have been very happy and her only reason she's not is because you brought up the late policy. Maybe you told her off a little bit when you said "I only have to deal with latness one more week " (or whatever the actual verbiage is) but honestly, you DON'T have to deal with it AT ALL. She clearly does not respect you and honestly, kinda looks like she's trying to draw in your other parents to her sister's child care.
Play Care 08:33 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would term immediately. Then I would have a short explanation to all parents so that it has been addressed directly and respectfully to them, even if they have not been called yet because they may hear about it in the future.

"Jen, I wanted to let you know that Kim and her daughter Ava will not longer be with our group. It is my understanding that she was calling parents complaining about my services while I was working with this family. Clearly she was not happy here so I did go ahead and end that relationship. If you ever have any concerns about anything that another parent tries to say or involved you in, I would appreciate the chance to discuss any concerns you might have. I hope that after X years of working with you, my reputation would speak for itself"

I would not ever keep a parent who was bad mouthing me to other clients.
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 01-25-2014
really? wow. what an awful day for you as well. Do you mind if I ask what the issue was regarding?

It is very frustrating when parents complain with talking to us and giving us the chance to remedy the situation first.
This family has been in care for over a year.
Two kids ages 2 and 4. Full time M-F.

Youngest has some severe dietary issues. Extreme diarrhea and "nasty" diapers multiple times a day. Mom and I had been working on it together.

I had mom go see her doctor and have some allergy testing done (we thought milk-dairy was issue) but all testing came back normal. No allergies, intolerances and/or insensitivities.

I started a food journal and asked mom to do the same.

It came to my attention accidentally that mom had been giving her child juice in extreme amounts in place of ALL beverages, including water. When confronted with it, she claimed her Dr told her to do so.

Ultimately after a ton of back and forth and a few lies nothing resolved so I just told mom to get a special diet statement from her pediatrician. Mom filled the form out herself, stating her doctor refused to do so. I told her I couldnt allow her to forge the Dr's info and she basically said "No one wil know"..

I still refused and said child will be served same foods as everyone else and would be sent home for any diarrhea episodes. Daily if necessary.

Mom started searching for new care (she didnt know I knew though) which was fine with me so she couldve said so but thats moot anyways.

She interviewed with several gals I know. One in particular communicated via text/email with mom. Provider sent me the conversations stating she felt I needed to see them since DCM was trashing me and making false statements.

The conversation was absolutely ridiculous and so far from truth. I wouldve let it go because it is rarely worth the hassle with people like that but she stated in one email she was going to report me for failing to address her child's dietary needs and I ignored her Dr's orders.

There was more trival lies said but those lies define her character not mine but hell if I was going to stand for her stating I was neglecting her child.

I document everything so I gathered my info e-mailed my licensor, typed up a term letter, packed her children's belongings, called my DS to have present (just in case) and hit record on my video camera when she walked in for pick up.

She was shocked and did lots of denying and back tracking but left peacefully.

She tried texting a few times last night but I have not replied.

Stuff like this scars my faith in humanity.
cheerfuldom 09:21 AM 01-25-2014
This family has been in care for over a year.
Two kids ages 2 and 4. Full time M-F.

Youngest has some severe dietary issues. Extreme diarrhea and "nasty" diapers multiple times a day. Mom and I had been working on it together.

I had mom go see her doctor and have some allergy testing done (we thought milk-dairy was issue) but all testing came back normal. No allergies, intolerances and/or insensitivities.

I started a food journal and asked mom to do the same.

It came to my attention accidentally that mom had been giving her child juice in extreme amounts in place of ALL beverages, including water. When confronted with it, she claimed her Dr told her to do so.

Ultimately after a ton of back and forth and a few lies nothing resolved so I just told mom to get a special diet statement from her pediatrician. Mom filled the form out herself, stating her doctor refused to do so. I told her I couldnt allow her to forge the Dr's info and she basically said "No one wil know"..

I still refused and said child will be served same foods as everyone else and would be sent home for any diarrhea episodes. Daily if necessary.

Mom started searching for new care ( she didnt know I knew though) which was fine with me so she couldve said so but thats moot anyways.

She interviewed with several gals I know. One in particular communicated via text/email with mom. Provider sent me the conversations stating she felt I needed to see them since DCM was trashing me and making false statements.

The conversation was absolutely ridiculous and so far from truth. I wouldve let it go because it is rately worth the hassle with people like that but she stated in one email she was going to report me for failing to address her child's dietary needs and I ignored her Dr's orders.

There was more trival lies said but those lies define her character not mune but hell if I was going to stand for her stating I was neglecting her child.

I document everything so I gathered my info e-mailed my licensor, typed up a term letter, packed her children's belongings, called my DS to have present (just in case) and hit record on my video camera when she walked in for pick up.

She was shocked and did lots of denying and back tracking but left peacefully.

She tried texting a few times last night but I have not replied.

Stuff like this scars my faith in humanity.
Oh my goodness! that is over the top. Claiming that you were disregarded a child's medical and dietary needs when it was YOU and not her that was pursuing a solution. I would be livid! I can completely understand why you would feel this way.

That is why I was so upset about the family that termed me last week that I posted about. They were implying to at least two other providers that my rates were too high and I had too many children in care, implying that I was not doing my job well. Little did they know that I know for a fact they were offering to pay at least one other provider MORE than they were paying me! and my ratio? well under the legal limit! it just really is appalling and discouraging and yes, heartbreaking when unsatisfied parents are painting us as scammers that care more about money than about children.

I care about "my" kids! I try my best to make it work. If you dont like it, thats fine, go find other care. but dont lie about the reason why! just say "it wasn't the right fit"

People need to learn how to agree to disagree and just move on respectfully. There is no need to trash others on your way out the door.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 01-25-2014

I care about "my" kids! I try my best to make it work. If you dont like it, thats fine, go find other care. but dont lie about the reason why! just say "it wasn't the right fit"

People need to learn how to agree to disagree and just move on respectfully. There is no need to trash others on your way out the door.
Exactly!! It doesn't always have to be personal or drama filled.

Sometimes parents are more trouble/stress than their children could ever be!
Needavacanow 11:23 AM 01-25-2014
Blackcat, sorry you went going through that. I've been reading your posts for ages and forget that you have the same problems we do Misery loves company Thanks for sharing!
KidGrind 11:27 AM 01-25-2014

I got the Holy Ghost reading that comment!
Jack Sprat 01:42 PM 01-25-2014

YES!!! I'm terming my first family and will be very sad to see the child go. But, NOT the parents!
childcaremom 02:47 AM 01-26-2014
I would term immediately and be done with it now. I wouldn't let her step foot back in my house.

I know you are worried about what she might do, and maybe she will wear out her fingers dialling other parents, but I would not let that fear control you. Get rid of her. Show her that what she did is unacceptable and she can't treat you like that.

Who's to say she won't do it anyways at the end of the week?
Play Care 05:34 AM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would term immediately and be done with it now. I wouldn't let her step foot back in my house.

I know you are worried about what she might do, and maybe she will wear out her fingers dialling other parents, but I would not let that fear control you. Get rid of her. Show her that what she did is unacceptable and she can't treat you like that.

Who's to say she won't do it anyways at the end of the week?
I agree. I am of the "no good deed goes unpunished" school of thought. So you keep her, either because you feel bad about terming or because your afraid of what else she will do/say only to have her behave badly at the end or still bad mouth you. Bottom line, she has already done those things and not EXPECTS you to put up with it because she has the upper hand (she'll just call the other parents and get them mad at you too! )
I love the advice cheerfuldom gave about how to talk to the other parents regarding the issue. It makes it clear that certain things are out of bounds in a professional way.
coolconfidentme 05:47 AM 01-26-2014
I'm VERY intolerant of lying, slanderous & libelous comments. I would term immediately & let my state consultant know. I would follow that up with a cease & desist letter to the DCP. Think of it this way; This is what she is saying to people you know. What do you you think she is saying to people you don't know? It will not stop when she leaves, she will continue with her remarks until you make it clear you may take legal action if she she doesn't stop. You really need to protect your business & brand. I went though a similar situation & it didn't stop until I made it stop. Good luck!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 01-26-2014
Blackcat, sorry you went going through that. I've been reading your posts for ages and forget that you have the same problems we do Misery loves company Thanks for sharing!
Trust me, you are NEVER alone in the problems, situations and scenarios that happen in the world of child care.

We ALL have issues. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing this....parenting trends come and go but parents in general wanting "special" or behaving badly doesn't change.

It's part of the deal when we work with others.

I hope you are able to find a good resolution to your issue and I hope Karma finds this blabbing DCM fast.

It's hard to take the high road sometimes and even harder not to let your emotions cloud your judgment but it is best to always remember that the type of people who do such sneaky underhanded things in life WILL get "their's" eventually. Life is funny like that.....you get out of it exactly what you put into it.

Hold your head high, know you ARE a great provider and don't let anyone (spreading lies or whatnot) define you differently.

The families who are using your care KNOW that, the ones who feel the need to badmouth you are the ones that have something wrong. Whether it is them personally or just their moral compass having issues....it on them NOT you.
Angelsj 10:56 AM 01-26-2014
Trust me, you are NEVER alone in the problems, situations and scenarios that happen in the world of child care.

We ALL have issues. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing this....parenting trends come and go but parents in general wanting "special" or behaving badly doesn't change.

It's part of the deal when we work with others.

I hope you are able to find a good resolution to your issue and I hope Karma finds this blabbing DCM fast.

It's hard to take the high road sometimes and even harder not to let your emotions cloud your judgment but it is best to always remember that the type of people who do such sneaky underhanded things in life WILL get "their's" eventually. Life is funny like that.....you get out of it exactly what you put into it.

Hold your head high, know you ARE a great provider and don't let anyone (spreading lies or whatnot) define you differently.

The families who are using your care KNOW that, the ones who feel the need to badmouth you are the ones that have something wrong. Whether it is them personally or just their moral compass having issues....it on them NOT you.
Amen!!
DaisyMamma 05:38 AM 01-27-2014
I didn't read all the replies. But are you charging late fees? $1/minute would have solved this problem the first time. At least for most people it does.
My3cents 11:38 AM 01-27-2014
Late fee after the 2nd time she did this! I think you let this parent walk on you long enough. Why would you miss your child's events repeatedly over a late parent? Once I can see letting it slide but then to keep allowing it, no wonder she did it, she knew she could.

As far as her calling your other parents. I would be livid. Term her and be done with this crummy client.

I suggest a good rule/hand/policy book and clear contract.

Some people thrive on mean drama, they always have to have a whirlwind following them in order to be ok in their own minds. Sometimes this comes out immediately and then other times as we get to know someone we figure this out or the true self emerges. having limits on what you are willing to put up with is key- Set clear boundaries with your clients from the get go no matter how long they plan to stay.

I wish you the best-
My3cents 11:42 AM 01-27-2014
do what you have to do. You know the situation and I believe down in your heart you know what is best to do. I agree with you. I would want to be done ASAP She has become a liability to your business.
Tags:parents - accusing, parents - disrespect, terminate - no trust
Reply Up