Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!

New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! Introduce yourself. Find out how to use your account and forum features. Who are you? Why do you do/use daycare? What brought you here? What kind of daycare are you associated with?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default Help With Parent

I had a new family start last week. Their hours are 6am to 3pm. In my contract It says I open at 7, but this family is paying me extra for me to take the girls at 6 and she is in the process of getting a new job where her hours will go to 8-5 in the next month. So really Its a very temp thing. Well one of my other families found out that I was taking these kids at 6 and showed up at 615 this morning (normal drop off for them is 9:30). When I asked why they were here, there response was "well I just assumed you are opening early now and this time works better for us" What do I say? Its not there business that the other family is paying extra, and I don't want to take there kids at 6am because they don't pick up until 5:30. I don't think they did it to be rude, but at the same time, who just assumes before talking to the provider first? I just don't know the professional way to handle it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I had a new family start last week. Their hours are 6am to 3pm. In my contract It says I open at 7, but this family is paying me extra for me to take the girls at 6 and she is in the process of getting a new job where her hours will go to 8-5 in the next month. So really Its a very temp thing. Well one of my other families found out that I was taking these kids at 6 and showed up at 615 this morning (normal drop off for them is 9:30). When I asked why they were here, there response was "well I just assumed you are opening early now and this time works better for us" What do I say? Its not there business that the other family is paying extra, and I don't want to take there kids at 6am because they don't pick up until 5:30. I don't think they did it to be rude, but at the same time, who just assumes before talking to the provider first? I just don't know the professional way to handle it
You say "your drop off is x. Everyone has agreed upon drop off and pick up hours and they are set when you sign up" or something along the lines. No way in heck would I just let a parent hop in three hours early.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
You say "your drop off is x. Everyone has agreed upon drop off and pick up hours and they are set when you sign up" or something along the lines. No way in heck would I just let a parent hop in three hours early.
Ya I didn't know what to do. I have her now, but I told them I would go over it at pick up. So I just want to make sure I handle it right.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

If you are willing, could you tell her earlier hours mean big $$$ and will only available until May 1st (or your cut-off)?

Personally, I'd tell her I was so off-put by her behavior I could not find the words this morning and that I would not be willing to accommodate her that early in the future.

It was beyond presumptuous and rude of her.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
If you are willing, could you tell her earlier hours mean big $$$ and will only available until May 1st (or your cut-off)?

Personally, I'd tell her I was so off-put by her behavior I could not find the words this morning and that I would not be willing to accommodate her that early in the future.

It was beyond presumptuous and rude of her.


yeah, that is pretty nervy of them to just show up like that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
If you are willing, could you tell her earlier hours mean big $$$ and will only available until May 1st (or your cut-off)?

Personally, I'd tell her I was so off-put by her behavior I could not find the words this morning and that I would not be willing to accommodate her that early in the future.

It was beyond presumptuous and rude of her.
I wouldn't mind starting that early, but this particular family doesn't pick up until 5:30. The dad gets off at 2:30 but then goes home to get the school age off the bus. Personally I think he leaves her here because he doesn't want to deal with her. The mom works til 6:30. The dad has to work at 6:30am so Im guessing he brought her on his way to work. So If they want to pick her up at 3 like the other kids and pay the extra fee, Im all for it then my day would be done at 3. However, I don't see that happening.I am going to say what you said about not finding the words this morning, and let her know that Its not ok to just assume I will take there child, but If there is a better time, and they want to pay then I am open to working with them as long as they understand I will only have a child for 9 hours a day.

Last edited by cara041083; 02-24-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I wouldn't mind starting that early, but this particular family doesn't pick up until 5:30. The dad gets off at 2:30 but then goes home to get the school age off the bus. Personally I think he leaves her here because he doesn't want to deal with her. The mom works til 6:30. The dad has to work at 6:30am so Im guessing he brought her on his way to work. So If they want to pick her up at 3 like the other kids and pay the extra fee, Im all for it then my day would be done at 3. However, I don't see that happening.I am going to say what you said about not finding the words this morning, and let her know that Its not ok to just assume I will take there child, but If there is a better time, and they want to pay then I am open to working with them as long as they understand I will only have a child for 9 hours a day.
Boy, I'd be tempted to text/call/e-mail them and tell them that their rate only covers x amount of hours per day so since they dropped off 3 hours early, you expect the child to be picked up 3 hours earlier than normal.

If they say they were planning on picking up at the regular time, then charge them an additional fee and explain that it's for the additional work.

That should "help" them understand that clients are paying for that earlier drop off and that you don't just work from open to close.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Boy, I'd be tempted to text/call/e-mail them and tell them that their rate only covers x amount of hours per day so since they dropped off 3 hours early, you expect the child to be picked up 3 hours earlier than normal.

If they say they were planning on picking up at the regular time, then charge them an additional fee and explain that it's for the additional work.

That should "help" them understand that clients are paying for that earlier drop off and that you don't just work from open to close.
I like your thinking! Right now I charge $15.00 an hour outside of my 7:00-5:30 hours (I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I like your thinking! Right now I charge $15.00 an hour outside of my 7:00-5:30 hours (I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
Perfect! I am also willing to bet, it doesn't happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I like your thinking! Right now I charge $15.00 an hour outside of my 7:00-5:30 hours (I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
If that is what your contract states, then that's what I would do. Then at pick up I think a reminder that you work on contracted hours is needed and that what another family is contracted for has no bearing on when they can drop their kids off.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
(I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
You got this

Man, they love those loopholes don't they?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I like your thinking! Right now I charge $15.00 an hour outside of my 7:00-5:30 hours (I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
Have you sent the text yet? Have they replied?
And GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
Oh please text this to them! And make sure you give us an update!!!

You have the backbone, you have the policy, now's the time to use it :-)

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

Yes I sent the text:

Me: I stated that per my contract, since ***** will be here 3 hours out side of the 9 hour contracted shift, there will be a $15.00 charge per hour totaling $45.00 that will need to be paid at pick up tonight.

Dad responded with: Why didn't you tell me this at drop off this morning if it was not ok to bring her or that their would be a fee.

Me: I apologize, however when you showed up 2 hours before your contracted time, I assumed you understood the contract. If you need another copy please let me know and I can give you a copy of the one you signed tonight when you pay the hourly fee.

Dad replied. "Yes please give me a copy of it and I will pick up at 3 when I get off before I head home to get my son off the bus.

Me: Ok I will have it ready. If you would like to discuss this further, we can tonight at pick up. Thanks

Well will see what happends lol

Last edited by cara041083; 02-24-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
Yes I sent the text:

Me: I stated that per my contract, since ***** will be here 3 hours out side of the 9 hour contracted shift, there will be a $15.00 charge per hour totaling $45.00 that will need to be paid at pick up tonight.

Dad responded with: Why didn't you tell me this at drop off this morning if it was not ok to bring her or that their would be a fee.

Me: I apologize, however when you showed up 2 hours before your contracted time, I assumed you understood the contract. If you need another copy please let me know and I can give you a copy of the one you signed tonight when you pay the hourly fee.

Dad replied. "Yes please give me a copy of it and I will pick up at 3 when I get off before I head home to get my son off the bus.

Me: Ok I will have it ready. If you would like to discuss this further, we can tonight at pick up. Thanks

Well will see what happends lol
Good for you!! Very professional and good use of your strong backbone.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Way to go! Hoping pick up goes smoothly :-)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
Yes I sent the text:

Me: I stated that per my contract, since ***** will be here 3 hours out side of the 9 hour contracted shift, there will be a $15.00 charge per hour totaling $45.00 that will need to be paid at pick up tonight.

Dad responded with: Why didn't you tell me this at drop off this morning if it was not ok to bring her or that their would be a fee.

Me: I apologize, however when you showed up 2 hours before your contracted time, I assumed you understood the contract. If you need another copy please let me know and I can give you a copy of the one you signed tonight when you pay the hourly fee.

Dad replied. "Yes please give me a copy of it and I will pick up at 3 when I get off before I head home to get my son off the bus.

Me: Ok I will have it ready. If you would like to discuss this further, we can tonight at pick up. Thanks

Well will see what happends lol
Nicely done!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
Yes I sent the text:

Me: I stated that per my contract, since ***** will be here 3 hours out side of the 9 hour contracted shift, there will be a $15.00 charge per hour totaling $45.00 that will need to be paid at pick up tonight.

Dad responded with: Why didn't you tell me this at drop off this morning if it was not ok to bring her or that their would be a fee.

Me: I apologize, however when you showed up 2 hours before your contracted time, I assumed you understood the contract. If you need another copy please let me know and I can give you a copy of the one you signed tonight when you pay the hourly fee.

Dad replied. "Yes please give me a copy of it and I will pick up at 3 when I get off before I head home to get my son off the bus.

Me: Ok I will have it ready. If you would like to discuss this further, we can tonight at pick up. Thanks

Well will see what happends lol
These clients will NEVER think to drop off or pick up outside of their contracted schedule
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

Even though he's picking up early today (3:00 instead of 5:30) I would charge him anyway for bringing 3:15 earlier than normal. You said that he came at 6:15 instead of 9:30. That is a huge amount early. I wouldn't care if he picked up at 3:00 or not. He broke your contract with him and he would be paying. What a inconsiderate family.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Even though he's picking up early today (3:00 instead of 5:30) I would charge him anyway for bringing 3:15 earlier than normal. You said that he came at 6:15 instead of 9:30. That is a huge amount early. I wouldn't care if he picked up at 3:00 or not. He broke your contract with him and he would be paying. What a inconsiderate family.


How rude of them to just presume they could come that early!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
I like your thinking! Right now I charge $15.00 an hour outside of my 7:00-5:30 hours (I only allow a child here for the 9 hours a day regardless of opening and closing time, then the hourly rate goes into effect) So I can text them and refer to the contract and say Please be aware that after 9 hours a day my hourly rate goes into effect. Please bring the $45.00 that will be owed at pick up" Im sure they won't do it again lol
Perfect
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

I believe this belongs to OP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hero of the day.jpg (6.7 KB, 1 views)
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

I'm excited to see how this pans out today! I have had a mom do that to me but it was only 20 mins. She texted me and I didn't see it until I woke up 5 right when they both arrived! She figured it was ok since another DCB came then. It wasn't a big deal except I'd overslept because my DS was up all night for some reason. It was just a bad experience. They've since left and I'm glad because mom was really stretching those boundaries. But it's also my fault because I made exceptions for little things here and there.

Anyway, I'm glad you're sticking up for yourself. I would reiterate that you didn't say anything at drop off because you were kind of shocked and confused as to what was going on when he showed up.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

I take a child at 6:15 and my normal drop-off times are between 7:00 and 9:00. This family pays $5 per day ($25 per week) extra for that extra time. If they have to pay it then I would expect all of my families to pay it if they needed to drop-off earlier. Just because I already have someone coming before open doesn't mean everyone gets to. I expect to be paid big time dinero for every child that needs to be dropped off before 7 just the same as I expect to be paid big time dinero for any child that needs picked up between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

Thanks ladies!! Im not really mad, Im just shocked that he would assume it was ok. I worked outside the home for MANY years. I never would have done this type of thing to my daycare lady, or any of the other issues I see that parents do. Maybe she "trained" me well. But the things these parent do make no sense to me at all! I would never do what I see these other parents do. Im glad I have this site to turn to when I have issues and don't feel alone lol
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara041083 View Post
Thanks ladies!! Im not really mad, Im just shocked that he would assume it was ok. I worked outside the home for MANY years. I never would have done this type of thing to my daycare lady, or any of the other issues I see that parents do. Maybe she "trained" me well. But the things these parent do make no sense to me at all! I would never do what I see these other parents do. Im glad I have this site to turn to when I have issues and don't feel alone lol
Did he pay when he picked up or assume because he was "early" it was okay?
Do you think they will show at their contracted time today?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

Curious as to how it went too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM
cara041083's Avatar
cara041083 cara041083 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 565
Default

It wasn't bad at pick up. I did charge him 15 for the extra hour and I explained to him that if that time worked better for him we could change his contracted time, but there would be a fee for me to open up before 7. He is gona speak with his wife and let me know today. But my hubby works with him and said he's one of those guys that try to get everything for free if he can. So I don't think it will be an issue again lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awesome provider, backbone, enforcing policies - consistency

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child's Behavior At Pick Up momatheart Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 07-29-2017 02:39 PM
Need Pick Up Tips daymommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 02-26-2016 12:23 PM
Lingering DCD Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 08-26-2014 09:45 AM
Ex Daycare Parent Just Showing Up At Your Door E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 02-08-2013 08:51 PM
Drop Off Problem... Dsquared Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-11-2011 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming