Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>infant interview
Kcole1075 08:42 AM 03-06-2014
I have an infant interview next week. I was wondering what are some main points to hit on during the interview.

I have not had an infant in a couple of years. So all I have left is a swing. But I don't want to get more for the baby until the deposit is down.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 03-06-2014
I have actually ditched ALL my infant equipment and found that the babies I have taken since then are happier, easier and much more adjustable babies.

My suggestion for things to cover for interviewing are

Sleep habits. Baby needs to be "trained" to not be rocked or held to sleep

Baby needs to be able to sleep in a crib with NO blankets or other devices or snugglies per the Safe Sleep practices

Eating habits. Breast fed baby MUST know how to take a bottle

Teething. Parents must understand that teething CAN cause fevers, diarrhea and other types of discomfort but that those symptoms are STILL excludable...even if it is only from teething.

Play time. Baby MUST know how to be somewhat independent...they need to be able to occupy themselves during those times when you are not holding, feeding and or engaging in play time with baby.

In other words, baby shouldn't be held 24/7 at home if the parents want their provider to stay sane and not term them.

Those are THE most common complaints parents and providers have when it comes to a baby in daycare. The other stuff is just fluff.

Those points are the sticking points that will make or break a working relationship between provider and parent.
Kcole1075 09:06 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have actually ditched ALL my infant equipment and found that the babies I have taken since then are happier, easier and much more adjustable babies.

My suggestion for things to cover for interviewing are

Sleep habits. Baby needs to be "trained" to not be rocked or held to sleep

Baby needs to be able to sleep in a crib with NO blankets or other devices or snugglies per the Safe Sleep practices

Eating habits. Breast fed baby MUST know how to take a bottle

Teething. Parents must understand that teething CAN cause fevers, diarrhea and other types of discomfort but that those symptoms are STILL excludable...even if it is only from teething.

Play time. Baby MUST know how to be somewhat independent...they need to be able to occupy themselves during those times when you are not holding, feeding and or engaging in play time with baby.

In other words, baby shouldn't be held 24/7 at home if the parents want their provider to stay sane and not term them.

Those are THE most common complaints parents and providers have when it comes to a baby in daycare. The other stuff is just fluff.

Those points are the sticking points that will make or break a working relationship between provider and parent.
Do you just have a crib for them and thats it?

This baby is only a week old but mom is going back to work in the begining of april and "likes to plan a head"
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Kcole1075:
Do you just have a crib for them and thats it?

This baby is only a week old but mom is going back to work in the begining of april and "likes to plan a head"
Yep. A crib, a highchair and toys. That is all I have.

I don't use a swing, a jumper and exersaucer or anything that would be considered baby furniture.

My babies play on the floor. They eat while being held (high chair as they age) and spend the majority of time playing down on their level with age appropriate toys.

NONE of my other kids are allowed to be within x amount of feet of the baby.

Since you are interviewing so far in advance....that can be a great thing...you have the perfect opportunity to let mom know what you expect now so that she has plenty of time to train baby the right way before dropping off the first day.

I always present my philosophies and expectations as being in the best interest of the baby so most moms WANT to do whatever necessary to make their baby's time in care enjoyable and stress-free for their child.
Kcole1075 09:17 AM 03-06-2014
I will need a crib. All my kids are on mats. But I will worry about that later.

I was kinda glad about the mom wanting to prepare this early because that means she will know whats expected of her and baby.
Tags:infant, interview
Reply Up