Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Late Fees

I have a parent that is continually late for pickup by a couple of minutes. I just had to adjust her rate because she was coming 30 minutes past her contracted hours but she is still coming at 5:02pm or 5:01 or 5:04 each day. It's getting on my nerves.

Would you charge a late fee for this? I just feel so silly tacking on a $1 or $2 charge. When do you start charging late fees? immediately or after 10-15 minutes?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I have a parent that is continually late for pickup by a couple of minutes. I just had to adjust her rate because she was coming 30 minutes past her contracted hours but she is still coming at 5:02pm or 5:01 or 5:04 each day. It's getting on my nerves.

Would you charge a late fee for this? I just feel so silly tacking on a $1 or $2 charge. When do you start charging late fees? immediately or after 10-15 minutes?
up to you, your business, your choice.

so I saw that BC does it like this

first late fee 1$ a min for each min you are late
second time you are late 2$ a min late fee that you are late

you do it again TERM.

For me, because of where we live commuting is really bad SF CA area. So I am wiling to give each parent a 5 min window arriving and picking up. No more, no less.

if you are later than that it's $1.oo per min for every min you are late picking up or early dropping off.

If you do not pick up by closing, it's an automatic $25 late fee PLUS $1.00 per min for each min you are late.

So as you can see very different, but both get the job done. You have decided what will work for you.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks daycare! It's the fall here so I am really worried about what is going to happen when the snow hits and traffic actually gets bad. She was nearly 10 minutes late one day due to rain. Meanwhile I know she goes home first before coming here as she gets her second car that has the carseat in it.

I will have to think about it. My contract gives 15 minutes and then they are charged $15 and then a dollar a minute after that.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Her second car w the car seat?
How is this your problem?
It's not. She needs to be on time.
Maybe a short and sweet written reminder of her contracted times and the option of paying more for more time?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post

so I saw that BC does it like this

first late fee 1$ a min for each min you are late
second time you are late 2$ a min late fee that you are late

you do it again TERM.

...because it really isn't about the money. It's about respecting me and my time as much as I respect a family and their time.

I am open and available as contracted to do every.single.day. I expect the same from my clients or they can pay for my over time.

Since I do not want to create the thought that my time is only valued at $1 or $2 a minute, I add the termination clause to the third late pick up.

Once is not okay but acceptable.
Twice is really pushing it...
Three times is out right disrespectful and rude.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Thanks daycare! It's the fall here so I am really worried about what is going to happen when the snow hits and traffic actually gets bad. She was nearly 10 minutes late one day due to rain. Meanwhile I know she goes home first before coming here as she gets her second car that has the carseat in it.

I will have to think about it. My contract gives 15 minutes and then they are charged $15 and then a dollar a minute after that.
I wouldn't allow the car seat issue to become my issue. If I knew she was going home each day before picking up, I would be charging a HUGE late fee.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:48 PM

I know you all are right! I feel sometimes like I just need to term them already. So many issues and she's only been here for 2 months
Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Why can't she simply put the car seat in the car she drives? It is not that hard to do Me thinks she goes home for a little "me" time before coming to get her little snowflake!

One minute or 20 minutes...late is late!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I know you all are right! I feel sometimes like I just need to term them already. So many issues and she's only been here for 2 months
I think you just came up with your answer then. If you think you need to term, you probably do!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I wouldn't allow the car seat issue to become my issue. If I knew she was going home each day before picking up, I would be charging a HUGE late fee.
This is EXACTLY why I have an issue with it. It's not like she is rushing here in heavy traffic. Not only that but she comes at the precise time each day. It is never earlier than 5pm. It's almost as if she waits at the end of my street until 5pm and then drives up. It makes no sense because not one other person in my care has ever been the EXACT same time each day. Not one!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is EXACTLY why I have an issue with it. It's not like she is rushing here in heavy traffic. Not only that but she comes at the precise time each day. It is never earlier than 5pm. It's almost as if she waits at the end of my street until 5pm and then drives up. It makes no sense because not one other person in my care has ever been the EXACT same time each day. Not one!
I had a family that would arrive 20-30 minutes before my closing and just sit in their car at the curb doing things on their phone. The first time I thought they must have an important call. Nope it happened every time and their child was the last to leave every day. Thank goodness they left they did other things that were annoying. Once they were 20 minutes late because they had out of town guest they took sightseeing and didn't know there would be traffic coming back (everyone who has lived here knows there is traffic in that area every day). I charged them my late fee and they were surprised that I did. After that they started that sitting at the curb thing.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I think you just came up with your answer then. If you think you need to term, you probably do!
I am working on replacing her but as you know it's hard to get good people and since I only do part-time they are even harder to find. She comes at 12pm, eats lunch and then naps until around 3:30-4pm and then gets picked up at 5pm so it's very easy money at the moment. I think this is why I tolerate the perpetual annoyances
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I am working on replacing her but as you know it's hard to get good people and since I only do part-time they are even harder to find. She comes at 12pm, eats lunch and then naps until around 3:30-4pm and then gets picked up at 5pm so it's very easy money at the moment. I think this is why I tolerate the perpetual annoyances
Oh yeah, in some areas it can be hard to get new clients.

Tags
late fee policy, late fees, parents - disrespect