Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Default Was I Wrong?

Hello. I let my parents drop off at any time. However, they know meals are fixed at certain times. I explain to them many times, if they come after breakfast that's it. Even one minute late. On Wednesday, a mom did this. The food was still "out", but all of the place settings were dirty. If I gave breakfast, it would have meant delaying the rest of the kids. Anyway, I didn't ask if the child ate and continued cleaning. I never ask ask if a child has eaten. Also, later the child said "I'm hungry, I didn't eat home". When I offered snacks, which I do all day anyway, the child declined. The family didn't come today. Was I wrong?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

nothing! you were clear about meal times, and offered up a snack. I see nothing wrong with this. I work at a center and lunch is served from 1130 to noon. Later than that and NOPE, no food, even if its out
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

Are you wondering if the dcf didn't come to dc because you didn't feed their child breakfast? That would be a silly reason...I'm thinking they had a legit reason?
As for your question, you did nothing wrong, it's stated in your policies and is up to dcps to read those policies and realize what their responsibility is on this matter.

I have it stated in mine that if your child isn't here by 8:30, breakfast will no longer be offered. But, as usual, sometimes parents(or their kids) say they haven't eaten. So I usually give them an abridged version. I know I shouldn't have to but if a child is hungry and wasn't given breakfast at home, it's not the child's fault.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

You did nothing wrong! If the parents did not feed their kids and then came after you served breakfast why are YOU to blame?

I had a daycare dad come yesterday an hour later than usual and then proceeds to tell me "X might be hungry we didn't have much time for breakfast". And that is my problem because....??? I provide two snacks and a lunch and if your child comes hungry it is not my problem.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello. I let my parents drop off at any time. However, they know meals are fixed at certain times. I explain to them many times, if they come after breakfast that's it. Even one minute late. On Wednesday, a mom did this. The food was still "out", but all of the place settings were dirty. If I gave breakfast, it would have meant delaying the rest of the kids. Anyway, I didn't ask if the child ate and continued cleaning. I never ask ask if a child has eaten. Also, later the child said "I'm hungry, I didn't eat home". When I offered snacks, which I do all day anyway, the child declined. The family didn't come today. Was I wrong?
Wrong for following your policies? No.

Do you KNOW the family didn't come because their child declined snack or didn't eat breakfast or are you just assuming that is why?

I personally wouldn't stress about it.

If an adult person can't bring up and discuss their concerns with me, then I don't know they have any so I try hard not to borrow stress that I don't know to be true.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Agreed. you did nothing wrong. You offered a snack and the child declined. Not your fault
deb
Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Were they a no call/no show today?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

No, they didn't show up. I'm just worried, because this mother has a way of always being the victim. I don't want her turning this on me. This isn't a huge community.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
No, they didn't show up. I'm just worried, because this mother has a way of always being the victim. I don't want her turning this on me. This isn't a huge community.
In my opinion, you were not wrong. You followed the policy you said you would follow. If dcm always plays the victim, others in the community probably know this about her, too, and will consider the source if she starts to complain. If it were me, I would probably send a quick text or email asking if everything is ok but I'd try not to give it any additional thought. It's Friday. Don't waste your weekend worrying!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
dude, you could have been a real jerk and not offered snacks. Its not like you didnt give the child anything all day. you offered food~!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

That's the problem when parents play the victim...their friends and families only get to hear one side of the story, having no clue about group care or policies, etc.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Daycare.com Member

I think you did good. The child got offered a snack at snack time but didn't want it.

Just breath in and out and hold steady!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Here's what I would do: call or text dcm and ask about the no call, no shows. I would not bring up the breakfast thing--as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue. You simply followed your written policies. Child showed up after breakfast time, you moved on with the day as usual. Child was there for snack and offered snack.

I would simply call and ask if child is attending or not.

Tags
meal schedule, meals, parents - don't cooperate