Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 670
Default Need Some Opinions on Fevers

I am curious as to what your thoughts are on fevers.

Dcb and dcg (same family) seemed fine this morning at drop off. Around lunch, dcg wouldn't eat and and was fussy. I took her temp and it was 101.8. I figured it would be a good idea to check the sibling as well and it was 100.8.

Dcg went downhill fast after I checked her temp. By the time mom got here, she had droopy eyes, crying, just looked overall miserable. My first thought is that mom dosed and dropped. I should add at this point that this mom has a lying problem (not just about daycare - on everything) and I have a hard time believing what she says. I flat out asked if she gave them medicine this morning and she said no. She then tried to give the teething excuse for dcg.

I ignored it and reminded her that they need to be fever free for 24 hours without medicine before coming back.

Do fevers like that come on suddenly? I can't help but think she knew about the fevers (at least the dcg fever) and gave them medicine before they came. Lunchtime is right around when the medicine would be wearing off.

Everyone is just starting to get over their colds and I can't help but think that dcm brought her knowingly sick kids into our home.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Adopt the 24/48 hour rule and dope and drops decline immensely 😉

Some kids can get a fever swiftly without warning and others seem to go about it gradually. Everyone is different.

As for teething, I list it as an excludable symptom on my illness policy so I rarely hear that excuse.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 670
Default

I'm going to look stupid here, but that's okay...
what's the 24/48 hour rule?

I actually just updated my illness policy this year to say that any fever 100.0 and over is not allowed no matter the reason.

Last year, (same family) said that dcb 103 fever was teething
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
I'm going to look stupid here, but that's okay...
what's the 24/48 hour rule?
Parent opts to keep unwell child home on their own and they stay out until 24 hour symptom free

Parent drops off unwell kid at day hoping to “wing it” for the day and you have to send them home they are excluded until symptom free for 48 hrs

Puts the onus back on the parent to do the right thing.

(Thank you Cat Herder )
Other threads about 24/48 rule
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48+rule
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2018, 01:17 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Parent opts to keep unwell child home on their own and they stay out until 24 hour symptom free

Parent drops off unwell kid at day hoping to “wing it” for the day and you have to send them home they are excluded until symptom free for 48 hrs

Puts the onus back on the parent to do the right thing.

(Thank you Cat Herder )
Other threads about 24/48 rule
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48+rule
BC or CH. I have seen you post about this 24/48 hour rule and I am curious as to how it is worded in your handbook. I haven’t had any parents push the limits on sick kids yet but I know it’s common and I’m waiting for it. Sorry if the answer is in one of the threads you linked. It’s time for me to start after nap diapers and I have to get off haha
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Direct from my newsletter:

“Exclude until 24 hours after fever subsides. Without fever-reducing medications.”

Clarification: If your child is sent home for fever you will be asked to keep your child home for a minimum of 48 hours. 24 hours symptom-free does not equate to 24 hours after onset of symptoms.

Example: Your child was sent home Monday afternoon with a fever of 102 and lethargy; the soonest your child will be accepted back into care will be Thursday morning so long as they have been symptom-free for 24 hours on Wednesday.

Monday = Thursday
Tuesday = Friday
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday = Monday

I know it can be frustrating keeping home a child who appears well an extra day but that is how we reduce transmission to others and limit the number of times children must be sent home sick overall. Please do not bring sick children to daycare. No child who has been given fever-reducing medications will be accepted into care. Please do not risk the health and safety of other children in care.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,802
Default

More threads on Fever Policy and 24/48 hour rule: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Direct from my newsletter:

“Exclude until 24 hours after fever subsides. Without fever-reducing medications.”

Clarification: If your child is sent home for fever you will be asked to keep your child home for a minimum of 48 hours. 24 hours symptom-free does not equate to 24 hours after onset of symptoms.

Example: Your child was sent home Monday afternoon with a fever of 102 and lethargy; the soonest your child will be accepted back into care will be Thursday morning so long as they have been symptom-free for 24 hours on Wednesday.

Monday = Thursday
Tuesday = Friday
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday = Monday

I know it can be frustrating keeping home a child who appears well an extra day but that is how we reduce transmission to others and limit the number of times children must be sent home sick overall. Please do not bring sick children to daycare. No child who has been given fever-reducing medications will be accepted into care. Please do not risk the health and safety of other children in care.

Thanks in advance!
Awesome thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
24/48, 24/48 rule, fever - policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Is Your Exclusion Policy Re: Fevers Ariana Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 07-12-2017 10:07 AM
Rate Increase Letter - Opinions Please Butter Biskets Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 10-10-2014 01:11 PM
Sick Kid? Opinions Please!! Kidsnest Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 07-03-2014 09:42 AM
Special Event? Opinions Needed! THANK YOU! lflick Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 05-21-2013 12:02 PM
Toddler prone to fevers blandino Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 05-07-2013 12:34 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming