Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Families Allotted Days/Year. Sick Days?
SunflowerMama 05:39 PM 01-12-2011
So in my contract I give families each 10 days per year...here is the wording.

*Each full time family is allotted 10 unpaid personal days per year to use as they see fit. Part time families will receive 6 unpaid days each year. A family must be in care a minimum of 6 months before using any unpaid personal days and I ask for 2 weeks notice.

I had a dcm just tell me that dcg has a fever of 102 so she won't be in tomorrow. She asked if she could use one of her 10 days. For those that give families "free" days what do you usually do if a child is sick. Let them use their days or require notice?
Daycare_Mama 06:38 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
So in my contract I give families each 10 days per year...here is the wording.

*Each full time family is allotted 10 unpaid personal days per year to use as they see fit. Part time families will receive 6 unpaid days each year. A family must be in care a minimum of 6 months before using any unpaid personal days and I ask for 2 weeks notice.

I had a dcm just tell me that dcg has a fever of 102 so she won't be in tomorrow. She asked if she could use one of her 10 days. For those that give families "free" days what do you usually do if a child is sick. Let them use their days or require notice?
I don't give families free days, but if I did, I wouldn't let them use tomorrow as one of their days. Like you said, you require 2 weeks notice. I'm assuming this is so that you can at least plan for less income should a family decide to use one of their days. It's not really fair to you to be notified the day before that you'll be losing income for the next day. So I would say no and reiterate to them that you require 2 week notice for those unpaid days, so that you can plan your family finances accordingly.
lvt77 07:17 PM 01-12-2011
I give 5 free days per year, however it must be used Consecutively... I did it the other way before and it was too hard to track....I ended up giving more days than agreed to because I could not track it very well...
MyAngels 07:58 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
I don't give families free days, but if I did, I wouldn't let them use tomorrow as one of their days. Like you said, you require 2 weeks notice. I'm assuming this is so that you can at least plan for less income should a family decide to use one of their days. It's not really fair to you to be notified the day before that you'll be losing income for the next day. So I would say no and reiterate to them that you require 2 week notice for those unpaid days, so that you can plan your family finances accordingly.
Ditto. No two week notice, no free day.
Francine 02:56 AM 01-13-2011
I give my full time families 5 days, part time families 3. They are allowed to use 1 per week unless a two week notice is given. Most of my families don't take vacations so they need them more for sick days.
nannyde 04:03 AM 01-13-2011
Zero so the discussion never comes up.
My Daycare 04:12 AM 01-13-2011
I also give ten days. 5 with a month notice and 5 with notice before care is scheduled to begin for the day.
kendallina 04:14 AM 01-13-2011
It clearly states in your wording that you need two weeks notice, I would not give her a free day because of an illness.
AnythingsPossible 06:07 AM 01-13-2011
In my policies, it states that sick days are charged at 1/2 the normal rate. So not free, but a little bit of a break. It's funny to me, that the majority of the time, they are getting paid by their employer to be home, but yet, feel like they are being cheated if they need to pay daycare.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 01-13-2011
I'm a little slow this morning but I thought the ending part where you said I require two weeks notice was in reference to quitting all together. I didn't get that it was for using the free days. I do 10 free days each family too, and they can use them whenever they want. The only exception is if they No Show for the day. As long as they call me asap in the morning before they are suppose to arrive, they can use the free day. If a family wants to use the days for vacation time, then I ask them to let me know in advance.
Unregistered 02:23 PM 01-13-2011
I have in my contract 5 sick days per school year which are unpaid. I did that since I figured they are more likely to keep their sick or borderline sick kids home if they don't have to pay and thus reduce my and the rest of the kids exposure to their germs. I don't know anyone else that does that, but I figured they have to pay another babysitter or use their vacation/sick time to stay home with them. I don't have any other unpaid days except the 2 weeks around Xmas and new yrs that I am closed.
Tags:sick days
Reply Up