Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sickness Policy Question??
MsKara 03:10 PM 06-20-2010
So I have a two year old little girl (my own daughter). I have an 18 month old little daycare boy who was off on Friday due to diarreah. He ended up in the emergency room from dehydration saturday night and is doing better but still having diarreah today. My daughter started having diarreah yesterday morning but has been fine today. The mom called me and asked if it was okay for her son to come since MY daughter was more likely to give it then her son because she got it AFTER her son. However, my daughter is not still having diarreah, her son is. Is it the length of time you have it? Or is it whenever the diarreah stops...

FOR UPDATE: SCROLL DOWN
Former Teacher 03:57 PM 06-20-2010
Originally Posted by MsKara:
So I have a two year old little girl (my own daughter). I have an 18 month old little daycare boy who was off on Friday due to diarreah. He ended up in the emergency room from dehydration saturday night and is doing better but still having diarreah today. My daughter started having diarreah yesterday morning but has been fine today. The mom called me and asked if it was okay for her son to come since MY daughter was more likely to give it then her son because she got it AFTER her son. However, my daughter is not still having diarreah, her son is. Is it the length of time you have it? Or is it whenever the diarreah stops...
My number 1 rule of daycare...never trust a parent. If a child leaves the dc with 103.5 fever...oh don't worry they are fine that night! Anyway what I would do is tell her that yes he can come. However once he has 1 diarrhea, he needs to be picked up immediately. Your daughter has been/is already exposed. Your whole family has been since the boy had it on Friday.

My former center's policy was after the 3rd diarrhea they must go home. TX law requires after the 2nd. We extended it to the 3rd because of special circumstances as teething, antibiotics, just not done yet

However in extreme cases like this we would stress to the parents that if it happens once, the child goes home. Most, not all, but most, would wind up keeping them home anyway because they knew I would be calling.
jen 04:25 PM 06-20-2010
The general rule of thumb here is 24 hours after the incident.

I would suggest that she gets the kid some vogurt with live active cultures...it might help.
Pammie 04:47 PM 06-20-2010
My rule is 24-hrs diarrhea free before returning to daycare..with the understanding that the child will be sent home if they return to daycare and have even one more bout of diarrhea.

Kids that start with diarrhea while at daycare - after two bouts they have to be picked up.
alyssyn 05:30 PM 06-20-2010
I agree. 24-hrs. diarrhea free before returning to care.
tymaboy 05:18 AM 06-21-2010
Symptom free for 24hrs with no medication before they return.
MsKara 06:39 AM 06-21-2010
So my daughter is still having diarreah and I kept her away from the kids by bringing in my assistant early. Little daycare boy was said not to have diarreah in the last 24 hours but has two bouts of it after showing up for an hour. Dad asked (nicely at least) if I could keep daycare boy upstairs with my daughter since they most likely have the same thing. I said, as long as mom can come get him asap. It's a double problem since daycare boys butt is red and I don't have any diaper cream to put on it since his parents have never given me any. So mom is eventually on her way and asks me to save his diaper so she can bring it to the doctor. Meanwhile daycare boy has diarreah and it leaks out onto my couch, the porch and my floor. I'm so disgusted I almost throw up myself. It's hard for me to believe he was really diarreah free for 24 hours before coming. On top of that, mom asked where she could go to pour watery diarreah out of diaper and into a cup. I said "your going to do that here??" with suprise of course. You could tell she was visibly upset and said she'd go to her car then to do it. I can't believe anyone would want to work on a diarreah diaper in someone elses house. GROSS!!!

So I have a sibling group of 3 kids left behind with my assistant. The oldest brother (who is 3) says of his little brother (who is 21 months) that he threw up this morning. Now I have NO idea whether or not to call his parents on that one.

Is it horrible to want to close down my daycare. The lack of respect for my home and my property and my policies is sickening.
misol 07:24 AM 06-21-2010
So my daughter is still having diarreah and I kept her away from the kids by bringing in my assistant early. Little daycare boy was said not to have diarreah in the last 24 hours but has two bouts of it after showing up for an hour. Dad asked (nicely at least) if I could keep daycare boy upstairs with my daughter since they most likely have the same thing. I said, as long as mom can come get him asap. It's a double problem since daycare boys butt is red and I don't have any diaper cream to put on it since his parents have never given me any. So mom is eventually on her way and asks me to save his diaper so she can bring it to the doctor. Meanwhile daycare boy has diarreah and it leaks out onto my couch, the porch and my floor. I'm so disgusted I almost throw up myself. It's hard for me to believe he was really diarreah free for 24 hours before coming. On top of that, mom asked where she could go to pour watery diarreah out of diaper and into a cup. I said "your going to do that here??" with suprise of course. You could tell she was visibly upset and said she'd go to her car then to do it. I can't believe anyone would want to work on a diarreah diaper in someone elses house. GROSS!!!

So I have a sibling group of 3 kids left behind with my assistant. The oldest brother (who is 3) says of his little brother (who is 21 months) that he threw up this morning. Now I have NO idea whether or not to call his parents on that one.

Is it horrible to want to close down my daycare. The lack of respect for my home and my property and my policies is sickening.
Unless the pediatrician specifically requests it, who attempts to take diarrhea to the doctor??? I think that a simple explantation of "watery stools" would be sufficient for the doc LOL
misol 07:27 AM 06-21-2010

Also, I wanted to add that I would not keep a sick child with my own child who "likely" has the same thing. There is always a chance that the illnesses are NOT the same.
tymaboy 09:15 AM 06-21-2010
In the fall I closed for a few days cuz the one DCB (not here anymore) kept coming in sick - but parents swore he was teething. They never went by my sick policy & covered it up so when my DH got sick I closed fore a few days that way it gave everyone a chance to get over it & stop passing it on to one another.

I closed for a few days a couple months later as well when I got sick. According to that same family it was me who infected their family who came down with what I had at the same time. It actually hit eveyones family that I had in care but it was my fault cuz I got sick 1st even thow I rarely get out anymore & most of the germs I come in contact with are the ones that are brought into my home.
Tags:diarrhea, sickness
Reply Up