Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets/Tenders
SilverSabre25 03:22 PM 02-15-2011
No really...they are healthy! I made these last week and the kiddos gobbled them up like they were from McDonald's!

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

Chicken tenderloins
All-purpose flour (about 1/2 a cup)
2 eggs
breadcrumbs (I used Panko-style for crispiness)
herbs/spices (optional, but yummy--try Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, Cajun spices, or whatever your imagination thinks up!)
cooking spray (I use Olive Oil Pam)

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Rinse the chicken tenders under warm water. Place flour on a plate or in a large Zip-loc bag. Whisk the eggs on a large plate. Place breadcrumbs and d on a separate plate (yes, this is plate intensive!). Spray a cookie sheet liberally with cooking spray.

For each tenderloin: dredge in flour, dunk in egg, coat with breadcrumb mixture, place on cookie sheet.

When all tenderloins are on the cookie sheet, spray them with the cooking spray (this helps them crisp up nicely!). Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until done.

Yum!!
Little People 03:39 PM 02-15-2011
Sounds good!! I will make them soon!!
Michael 03:58 PM 02-15-2011
Wish you all would post pictures sometime when you make these recipes. I bet seeing that picture would get lots ot nuggets eaten.
DCMomOf3 04:00 PM 02-15-2011
I don't buy tenderloins but I could cut up some breasts in nugget sized pieces.... I will have to try it.
SilverSabre25 04:08 PM 02-15-2011
Michael, next time I make them I'll take pictures, I promise!
KEG123 04:52 PM 02-15-2011
I make them this way too. Sometimes I don't even use egg or flour and they come out fine.
SunflowerMama 04:54 PM 02-15-2011
I'm totally making these tomorrow for lunch!! Tenderloin was on sale this weekend so I stocked up. I think the kids will love these and I think I'm going to throw some flaxseed meal in with the breadcrumbs to make it even more healthy!! I'm always looking for healthier options for the "go-to" foods. Thanks!!
SilverSabre25 05:01 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I'm totally making these tomorrow for lunch!! Tenderloin was on sale this weekend so I stocked up. I think the kids will love these and I think I'm going to throw some flaxseed meal in with the breadcrumbs to make it even more healthy!! I'm always looking for healthier options for the "go-to" food. Thanks!!
ooo, flaxseed meal is a great idea! I'm going to use that too.
dEHmom 05:30 AM 02-16-2011
These are exactly what I've made a few times and posted but I called them homemade chicken fingers!

OMG these were soooooooooooo much better than the first time without the flour.

And yes, the chicken breast works too! If you wanted to you could pound the poop out of it first, but they taste just as good just cut up, so why make extra work!
SunflowerMama 10:57 AM 02-16-2011
Just made the nuggets today and they were a HUGE hit!!

I left out the flour and added 3 tablespoons of flaxseed to the breadcrumbs and the kids ate them up!

They were so crispy too! I paired them with some cut-up peppers and fruit and the kids loved it. Thanks again!

dEHmom 11:00 AM 02-16-2011
INSIGHT!!!!

i just came back to look for this thread to post something on it, and you posted and brought it right back up to the top!

the buttermilk from the homemade butter!!!! use it to soak the chicken in for about an hour prior to coating it and baking. It's supposed to be AWESOME although I have never tried it.

get those kiddies shaking those jars!
Tags:chicken, chicken nuggets, chicken tenders, recipe
Reply Up