Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default Potential New Client

I would like to be patient and find the best fit for my open slot. I already did one interview with a single mother who has a 2 1/2 year old boy. I was wondering if you all would take him if you had time to find a good fit.

Here are the pluses:
(1) Both parents have stable jobs.
(2) Boy will be within the same age group as the others in my care (22 months to 3 years old).
(3) Parents state that boy likes to play with others and by himself (as he is very independent).
(4) He is a boy (I have all girls right now and would love less drama).
(5) He will be here full time and the same hours ever day.

Here are the drawbacks:
(1) Father says that he gets along great with mother, although mother tells me during interview to correspond only with her. A couple of other comments she makes makes me think that they do not get along. That's understandable, but I would like to be able to contact both parents.
(2) Mother never picks up the phone when I call her and she doesn't return my prior phone calls. One message I left she said she never got. I've only called her twice (once to discuss child care and another to re-schedule our interview).
(3) Boy is not potty trained and parents seem very relaxed about it. I'm ok with potty training when he is ready, but he will be 3 soon and they have not even attempted. Mother says that he doesn't say when he has gone and doesn't appear to care.
(4) Boy showed no interest in interacting with my 2 year old daughter during the interview. He could have been shy, but I thought it was odd that he acted like she did not exist.
(5) The biggest problem: he naps VERY early (at 11 am). Our nap time is 1 pm. I need everyone to nap at that time. If you all think I can train him to sleep later, than I will overlook everything else. His mother states that he wakes up super early (4:30 am sometimes), which is why he gets so tired early on.
(6) Mother showed up late for the interview by 10-15 minutes and didn't apologize or even acknowledge the time. On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."

What do you think? Wait it out for someone better? My husband wants me to pass her over because she was not good about communicating with me and she may be late frequently.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssam001 View Post
I would like to be patient and find the best fit for my open slot. I already did one interview with a single mother who has a 2 1/2 year old boy. I was wondering if you all would take him if you had time to find a good fit.

Here are the pluses:
(1) Both parents have stable jobs.
(2) Boy will be within the same age group as the others in my care (22 months to 3 years old).
(3) Parents state that boy likes to play with others and by himself (as he is very independent).
(4) He is a boy (I have all girls right now and would love less drama).
(5) He will be here full time and the same hours ever day.

Here are the drawbacks:
(1) Father says that he gets along great with mother, although mother tells me during interview to correspond only with her. A couple of other comments she makes makes me think that they do not get along. That's understandable, but I would like to be able to contact both parents.
(2) Mother never picks up the phone when I call her and she doesn't return my prior phone calls. One message I left she said she never got. I've only called her twice (once to discuss child care and another to re-schedule our interview).
(3) Boy is not potty trained and parents seem very relaxed about it. I'm ok with potty training when he is ready, but he will be 3 soon and they have not even attempted. Mother says that he doesn't say when he has gone and doesn't appear to care.
(4) Boy showed no interest in interacting with my 2 year old daughter during the interview. He could have been shy, but I thought it was odd that he acted like she did not exist.
(5) The biggest problem: he naps VERY early (at 11 am). Our nap time is 1 pm. I need everyone to nap at that time. If you all think I can train him to sleep later, than I will overlook everything else. His mother states that he wakes up super early (4:30 am sometimes), which is why he gets so tired early on.
(6) Mother showed up late for the interview by 10-15 minutes and didn't apologize or even acknowledge the time. On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."

What do you think? Wait it out for someone better? My husband wants me to pass her over because she was not good about communicating with me and she may be late frequently.
On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."
Parent translator: You will do as you are told.

Absolutely NOT. I wouldn't even consider taking her.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
SandeeAR's Avatar
SandeeAR SandeeAR is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssam001 View Post
On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."
That would be the deal breaker for me. She will rarely if ever, be on time for pickkup. She will take her own sweet time coming for her child when he gets sick. She will give you late notice, if at all when he is sick and not attending. Does running late also apply to her checks?

I would run the other way FAST!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Pammie's Avatar
Pammie Pammie is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: My happy little corner of the world
Posts: 449
Default

Yeah - late for the interview is a BIG red flag for me. And acknowledging being late for the interview without an apology - that would be a second strike.

I'd keep looking for another client
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
squareone's Avatar
squareone squareone is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 303
Default

"you will find that I run late frequently."

This would be all I needed to hear. Pass on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareone View Post
"you will find that I run late frequently."

This would be all I needed to hear. Pass on this one.
DCM: you will find that I run late frequently.
Nan: You will find yourself a new daycare frequently.



I do LOVE how bold that is though. It makes me laugh. Three cheers for the entitled generation. They don't even GET that someone in society "might" say no to that. Like their daycare provider, their boss, their landlord....



LOVE it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

No thanks...
I am very strict with my pick up time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Yeah the lateness thing is a HUGE red flag to me.

The nap thing wouldn't even phase me...from day one he would just simply be napping at 1 with everyone else and he would adjust (and might even sleep better at night as a result). Nothing else was a major red flag to me, either...but that flippant admission of frequent lateness would bother the crap out of me.

And I have trouble with punctuality, myself. (Have I ever mentioned that the bestest part of working at home is that it's impossible to be late for work )
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I would love to have her. She alone would fund my entire family trip to Hawaii on all the late fees i would be charging!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Little People
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I would love to have her. She alone would fund my entire family trip to Hawaii on all the late fees i would be charging!
Never thought about this. Good point But all my parents are great and have always picked up on time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Client? JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 06-06-2012 04:22 AM
Should I Pursue This Potential Client Or RUN FAR AWAY? Lilbutterflie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 25 05-14-2012 03:58 PM
Times Are Tough; Would You Offer A Lower Rate To A Potential Client? momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-15-2010 06:25 AM
Potential Client, Should I or Shouldn't I?? tenderhearts Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 06-25-2010 01:45 PM
Potential Client, Not Sure if I am Happy or Not. . . momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 05-31-2010 11:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming