Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: If I knew I was going to get sick, I'd rather
Be sick during the week so I can enjoy my weekend. 12 42.86%
Be sick on the weekend so I don't have to work. 8 28.57%
Be sick on a Sunday since the best part of the weekend is over anyway 7 25.00%
Other. (and NOT getting sick is not an option) 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You HAD To Get Sick....
youretooloud 10:16 AM 05-11-2011
Would you rather be sick during the week while you are already working anyway, or on the weekend when you have two days off?
melskids 10:30 AM 05-11-2011
i would rather be sick during the week. i drag myself through each day, and when the last one goes home i hit the bed. (my boys are older and self sufficient for the most part)

that way i'm better by the weekend to spend time with my kids/family/whatever.....
youretooloud 10:33 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i would rather be sick during the week. i drag myself through each day, and when the last one goes home i hit the bed. (my boys are older and self sufficient for the most part)

that way i'm better by the weekend to spend time with my kids/family/whatever.....
Yes... I want to feel great by Friday so I can have a wonderful weekend. I can work and be sick... I just feel robbed if I'm sick on the weekend.

I feel a cold coming on, and I'm slightly happy that it's only Wednesday.
PitterPatter 10:37 AM 05-11-2011
That's a tough one! I don't know how to vote. It depends on the illness. I wouldn't want to make the kids sick 1st and most importantly. If it's a minor illness the kids won't catch I might try and work through it. If it's a migrane forget it! I can't deal with full energy toddlers and a migrane so I would opt to lose my Sunday as it's stated.

I really like the idea of having a choice in the matter tho, too bad it's not possible.
WImom 10:44 AM 05-11-2011
I guess it depends. If I'm sick enough I'd have to close I'd rather be sick on the weekend. If it's just a bad cold I'd rather be sick during the week.
mickey2 10:52 AM 05-11-2011
When I am sick I want to be ALONE!! I would rather be sick during the night when there is no one around to bother me! Weekends my dh and ds are home so no rest at all they are so noisy. Weekdays I have a houseful of everyone elses children. Night time works best for me! LOL I can get by on no/very little sleep so can still function well enough the next day.
e.j. 11:04 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I guess it depends. If I'm sick enough I'd have to close I'd rather be sick on the weekend. If it's just a bad cold I'd rather be sick during the week.
Same here. If I'm sick enough to have to close the day care, I'd rather it be on the weekend so I don't have to make that decision. I don't get paid if I close so getting sick during the week means less income for me. At least if I get sick on the weekend, I can rest and not worry about how to pay the bills.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 05-11-2011
Ok, I voted that I would rather be sick during the week so I can enjoy my weekend. Pitterpatter, your concern for the children is endearing, however, you more than likely got sick from them in the first place...LOL!! I also have to add that I have been open for over 15 years and NOT ONCE have I taken a sick day or closed because I was sick. The way I figure it I have built up an immunity to everything under the sun so I am good.

I also chalk it up to how I was raised. My parents had a very strict definition of what sick is and isn't. I had to literally be lying in bed unable to move and preferrably with a temp to be allowed to stay home from school. You sucked it up and did what needed to be done. I was also never babied or waited on hand and foot while sick as a kid either. My mom had 5 other kids younger than myself, plus foster children so she didn't have the time. If I was sick in bed, she atleast knew where I was. My siblings and my parents are all this way too....hardly ever sick and rarely sick enough to not got to work.

On the other hand, it might have had to do with the fact that my parents didn't bat an eye if we ate something off the floor or didnt wash our hands every time we sneezed. I also do not think my mom knew the word "sanitize" either....... I honestly think that all this antibacterial stuff is killing our immune systems.
youretooloud 12:03 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also chalk it up to how I was raised. My parents had a very strict definition of what sick is and isn't. I had to literally be lying in bed unable to move and preferrably with a temp to be allowed to stay home form school. You sucked it up and did what needed to be done. I was also never babied or waited on hand and foot while sick as a kid either. .
We had the same MOM!

When I was growing up, we walked home for lunch. One day, it took me so long to get home because I was so sick, I had to keep stopping. I didn't go back to school and I was grounded for a week for missing the second half of school. (I was really, really sick too) They waited til I was better before the grounding started.
youretooloud 12:05 PM 05-11-2011
I've never been sick enough to close my daycare. One time I had vertigo really bad, and I didn't close that day, but I should have. I think I ordered a pizza, opened the box and hoped the kids ate... if they didn't I didn't care.
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I've never been sick enough to close my daycare. One time I had vertigo really bad, and I didn't close that day, but I should have. I think I ordered a pizza, opened the box and hoped the kids ate... if they didn't I didn't care.
not that you were sick....just the pizza thing....LOL!!
PitterPatter 12:17 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, I voted that I would rather be sick during the week so I can enjoy my weekend. Pitterpatter, your concern for the children is endearing, however, you more than like got sick from them in the first place...LOL!! I also have to add that I have been open for over 15 years and NOT ONCE have I taken a sick day or closed because I was sick. The way I figure it I have built up an immunity to everything under the sun so I am good.

I also chalk it up to how I was raised. My parents had a very strict definition of what sick is and isn't. I had to literally be lying in bed unable to move and preferrably with a temp to be allowed to stay home form school. You sucked it up and did what needed to be done. I was also never babied or waited on hand and foot while sick as a kid either. My mom had 5 other kids younger than myself, plus foster children so she didn't have the time. If I was sick in bed, she atleast knew where I was. My siblings and my parents are all this way too....hardly ever sick and rarely sick enough to not got to work.

On the other hand, it might have had to do with the fact that my parents didn't bat an eye if we ate something off the floor or didnt wash our hands every time we sneezed. I also do not think my mom knew the word "sanitize" either....... I honestly think that all this antibacterial stuff is killing our immune systems.
Yep u have a point there!

I don't recall my parents being overly sanitary. I recall skipping hand washing for ice cream etc. but washing for dinner. I wasn't allowed to eat off the floor tho.

It irritates me when parents say "5 second rule and let the kids eat off the ground (not supposed to bring food to daycare anyway ) Another ipeeve of mine is the parents (my cousin for 1) who will pick a dropped binki from the dirty ground, put it in their own mouth, as if to clean it then put it in the baby's mouth.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Yep u have a point there!

I don't recall my parents being overly sanitary. I recall skipping hand washing for ice cream etc. but washing for dinner. I wasn't allowed to eat off the floor tho. It irritates me when parents say "5 second rule and let the kids eat off the ground (not supposed to bring food to daycare anyway ) Another ipeeve of mine is the parents (my cousin for 1) who will pick a dropped binki from the dirty ground, put it in their own mouth, as if to clean it then put it in the baby's mouth.
LOL!! I guess I should have said ground because I was thinking about all the hotdogs we dropped off the grill when camping that we just blew off and ate anyways....
PitterPatter 12:25 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I have had vertigo a couple times and I did the same thing, easy way out. Not pizza but had pasta and bread delivered, cut bananas in 1/2 and sat down. Another time I had my Mother pick up Subway for everyone and a can of fruit cocktail. I couldn't claim any of it on the food program but I didn't care. They ate and I was stationary that was my goal for the day. I did my whole days routine from a seated position! (this is the good thing about having an older child that has the routine down, they can assist and lead in circle time etc if need be)
MsMe 06:45 PM 05-11-2011
there is also another part that needs to be added to this questions.....are we just head cold "sucks to be me": or all out stomach flu?

I have not been -can't get out a bed sick- in a few years just a really nasty head cold once a year. I hate being sick but not sick enought to stay home and rest. I picked *sick on the weekend* becasue then I can just lay around and be sick (I dont have kids or a husband)
MamaBear 07:58 PM 05-11-2011
I gotta be healthy for my weekend! I LIVE for my weekend lately! haha
youretooloud 08:17 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
there is also another part that needs to be added to this questions.....are we just head cold "sucks to be me": or all out stomach flu?
Just a regular virus, cold thing... you know.... "teething".
Tags:poll, sick days
Reply Up