Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blood Everywhere
Play Care 06:53 AM 05-31-2016
Mom of 2 yo comes in today and says he scraped his toe on blacktop over weekend and it's still raw so he has a bandaid. I look and see he has a clean band aid on, no issues.

A little while later I see a spot of blood on the kitchen floor and realize the toe is bleeding through the bandaid. I re-bandage it and put a sock over (thinking it would both protect and keep him from picking) A bit later and he's bleeding through the sock, all over my carpet.

This time I re-bandage it, put new socks and shoes on. He will have to wear shoes all day unless napping. I've been debating giving mom a heads up that if he keeps bleeding through the bandage he needs to be picked up. I am not happy and just as soon as I think I've cleaned and sanitized all blood spots, I find another one
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Mom of 2 yo comes in today and says he scraped his toe on blacktop over weekend and it's still raw so he has a bandaid. I look and see he has a clean band aid on, no issues.

A little while later I see a spot of blood on the kitchen floor and realize the toe is bleeding through the bandaid. I re-bandage it and put a sock over (thinking it would both protect and keep him from picking) A bit later and he's bleeding through the sock, all over my carpet.

This time I re-bandage it, put new socks and shoes on. He will have to wear shoes all day unless napping. I've been debating giving mom a heads up that if he keeps bleeding through the bandage he needs to be picked up. I am not happy and just as soon as I think I've cleaned and sanitized all blood spots, I find another one
I'd send him home if he continues bleeding.

I can't deal with blood all over all day.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:37 AM 05-31-2016
If a band aid can not contain the blood- I would also send him home.
daycarediva 09:38 AM 05-31-2016
I would send him home. Did he scrape off skin? ouch. I would also get text confirmation that it happened at home. Eg. a text "Hi dcm, Joe is still bleeding. How did he hurt his toe today?"

Mike 10:31 AM 05-31-2016
Bleeding not stopping, needs to go home. He needs more time and attention than you can give without interfering with the others.
Play Care 10:32 AM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would send him home. Did he scrape off skin? ouch. I would also get text confirmation that it happened at home. Eg. a text "Hi dcm, Joe is still bleeding. How did he hurt his toe today?"

He did scrape the skin off and it's right at the tip of the toe, so constantly being re-opened the second band aid, sock and shoe did the trick. But I told his mom that if it didn't stop he'd have to go. I also said tomorrow and until it's more healed he needs two pairs of shoes and socks (one just for inside wear) so we can keep it covered and protected. This morning he came in wearing Keens, no socks.
daycarediva 09:49 AM 06-01-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
He did scrape the skin off and it's right at the tip of the toe, so constantly being re-opened the second band aid, sock and shoe did the trick. But I told his mom that if it didn't stop he'd have to go. I also said tomorrow and until it's more healed he needs two pairs of shoes and socks (one just for inside wear) so we can keep it covered and protected. This morning he came in wearing Keens, no socks.

Parents! We couldn't go outside this morning because a parent came in, dropped and ran. "dcg's shoes are in the bag!" flip flops. Dcg can barely walk in CLOSED TOED shoes, I never allow flip flops.
Reply Up