Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wall Decorations...
Abigail 09:30 PM 07-22-2011
Where are good places to find the basic wall decorations a typical daycare room might have? Here are some of my frugal yet creative ideas:

1. I'm thinking about using construction paper for cutting out the colors. I will use blue paper to cut out the letters B l u e then place them on the wall. Many places I've seen have the standard poster with a bunch of colors or circles with the words printed on them that came from the dollar store. I just want to be creative, do you think this is a good idea?

2. I am also going to use a flannel board background and frame it on the wall like a piece of artwork near the reading area. This way it looks professional and can be used easily for telling flannel board stories without the kids being able to touch it. My flannel board background has one outdoor scene and one indoor scene then I would also pick up plain blue or yellow or whatever color of flannel to change these regularly. They all measure about the size of a 16 by 20 frame so it would be the largest wall decor in the main room. What do you think?

3. I'm going to buy a large corkboard (because I only have two small, which one will be the parent board in the entryway) and place a colored background on it and use this to display children's artwork and some of mine of course that I do with the kids a few times a month. I've seen pictures of someone's daycare on here who has really large corkboards like 3 feet tall by 5 feel wide or near that and thought it looked very professional and preschool room like. What do you think?

Please share any other ideas for things on the wall.
JaydensMommy 09:37 PM 07-22-2011
I bought some posters from the dollar store that have letters and numbers. I also bought some command hooks and tied yarn to them to hang the childrens artwork, I love the way it looks.
Blackcat31 09:42 PM 07-22-2011
I frame the artwork the kids make. I buy inexpensive frames in 4x6, 8x10 nd 11x14 sizes from Walmart and Michaels crafts. We rotate them a couple times a year.

I also have bulletin boards in severall rooms that are very large and I use my Cri-cut machine to make die cuts and boarders that coincide with our current theme.
Abigail 10:14 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I bought some posters from the dollar store that have letters and numbers. I also bought some command hooks and tied yarn to them to hang the childrens artwork, I love the way it looks.
Another exciting feature about the house we are trying to buy is the ceilings in the living room are those tiles. So I will easily be able to push them up to hang light-weight items/art from the ceiling.
Crazy8 08:08 AM 07-23-2011
I have a less school-looking, more home looking daycare room and together the kids and I had painted big canvases for more "permanent" artwork for the room. I also hung a wire/cable curtain rod on the wall to hang artwork from.

I am redoing my playroom soon so love hearing everyone's ideas but again, I still prefer to NOT have it looking too school like as its the first room you see when you enter my house.
AfterSchoolMom 08:14 AM 07-23-2011
I like the hooks and wire set up as well. Mine is clothesline rope tied between two screw in eye hooks. I use primary colored clothespins that I got from the dollar store to hang the art.

I LOVE construction paper and make just about everything from that, so I think that cutting out the letters is a great idea.

Bulletin boards can be VERY expensive so be sure to shop around!
Meeko 07:52 PM 07-23-2011
Our walls are our artwork. We have murals all over.
anya 07:59 PM 07-23-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I like the hooks and wire set up as well. Mine is clothesline rope tied between two screw in eye hooks. I use primary colored clothespins that I got from the dollar store to hang the art.

I LOVE construction paper and make just about everything from that, so I think that cutting out the letters is a great idea.

Bulletin boards can be VERY expensive so be sure to shop around!
I have almost the exact same thing - my walls are concrete and we are renting, so I use those command stick on hooks and hang two strands vertically with yarn and clothespins and one horizontally in between them - thats for one of my walls, but I am also looking for what to do with another wall that seems a little too bare! I just used two sided thick tape to put up a poster about summertime,, but not enough..
PitterPatter 08:43 PM 07-23-2011
I just have wall border of the alphabet that I bought at Dollar Tree. I have the big poster boards of the alphabet and number shapes etc. Bought at Walmart I believe. Other than that it's just the kids own artwork. I have a big section where I pasted 3 posterboards together and painted "The Wall of Fame" over it. The kids hang thier art there with paperclips I stuck in the poster. they just slide the art under the clip and they are proud.

I have window clings of butterflies and Winnie the Pooh on the windows in the play area. Not sure where I bought those.
DaveA 05:50 AM 05-25-2016
One corner of the room has a couple of DCK's and my own 2 kid's footprints "walking" up the wall ending in handprints on the ceiling. Aside from that a growth chart wall sticker of a tree with animals and a small poster are the only permanent wall decorations. DCK's stuff ends up on the wall periodically.
Josiegirl 09:52 AM 05-25-2016
I have a family tree of pictures the family's gave me for the project. I made the tree trunk out of a brown shopping bag, and cut circles out of various colors/prints/sizes of paper. It looks kind of cute and takes up my one nice wall.

During the fall and winter, we did a lot more crafts than lately so I had branches hanging from the ceiling of our playroom. The dcks decorated them with hanging apples, pumpkins, snowflakes, whatever arts and craft projects we were making for the season or holiday.
hwichlaz 09:36 AM 09-05-2019
90% of my wall stuff is made by the children. Our rules posters....
Walking Feet, surrounded by their foot prints.
Gentle Hands, surrounded by their hand prints.
Kind words, surrounded by their lipstick kisses, lol.
Be Safe, with kid drawn hazzard cones.
Annalee 09:40 AM 09-05-2019
I know this is an old thread, but sharing my ideas for wall decorations. I have put most bulletin board materials on science boards so I can take down, put up as a I want and avoid conflict with the fire martial about wall space and fire codes. I only place the kids art work on the wall with the exception of my learning board where I place info about our themes for the month.
Tags:2011, artwork, decorating, ideas, pictures, themes, wall decor, walls
Reply Up