Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Time To Give Notice About A Sick Day?
newtodaycare22 08:40 AM 12-04-2011
I was in bed all day with a fever yesterday. I texted all my daycare parents around 7pm to let them know that there's a good chance I would be closed Monday. I would keep them updated today.

I'm feeling so-so at the moment, but I want to see how I progress before I officially close. I told them yesterday in hopes of them arranging back up care-just in case. All but 1 family answered the text, so I know most of them received it.

What time would you give them a final decision by? Is 5pm too late?

I've been open a year and a half and never taken a sick day. I just have a feeling that even if I'm ok tomorrow, I'd be better off in bed than chasing around 6 kids. Thanks!
AfterSchoolMom 11:08 AM 12-04-2011
It sounds like you really feel that taking the day off would be best. If I were you, I'd go ahead and give notice so that you can relax for the rest of today.

Then, make sure that tomorrow morning you keep your doors LOCKED, lights OFF, and a note on the door with a reminder that you are sick and closed...and do NOOOOOTTTT answer the door.

I hope you feel better soon!
Unregistered 11:22 AM 12-04-2011
I'm not big on taking sick days, so unless I was really feeling HORRIBLE I would be open. Honestly, if I were sick on Saturday and feeling a bit better on Sunday I'd be open on Monday. I never would have even brought it to parents that early - knowing that I had the whole weekend to recoup a bit.
Abigail 12:02 AM 12-05-2011
That is a good question! When I was researching this topic a long time ago I came across someones handbook with valuable information in it. I decided to add it to my handbook. I have a section in my handbook titled Back-up Child Care Arrangements. "If I must close on short notice I will let you know as soon as possible, but not between the hours of 11PM and 6AM."

This way if parents sleep til 6 or later it is at least in my handbook that I would be calling that early. Right now my earliest comes at 7:15/7:30 starting next week. Obviously if I get someone who comes earlier than that I would let them know I would call sooner. I do feel like 10 pm is late for a lot of families with kids, but decided 11 pm would be the best latest time since many adults are just settling down for the night anyways. That would at least give them heads up for the next day.
JenNJ 05:57 AM 12-05-2011
I let parents know ASAP. I abide by the 11pm-6am rule as well.
newtodaycare22 09:04 AM 12-05-2011
Thanks for the advice. I let everyone know at 2 yesterday afternoon. I had this exact same virus three weeks ago and toughed it out, staying open with 101 fever. By doing that, I lost my voice for a week and prolonged the illness. This time, I decided to put my health first. So, I'm resting in bed taking my first sick day in 1.5 years...and thankfully my parents were all gracious and nobody showed up. I've even had some check on me this morning to see how I am.
Tags:notice of sickness, sick days
Reply Up