Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted vs Open Hours
hoopinglady 06:30 AM 12-13-2011
All my kids showed up early today. I do have open hours and thought I'd made peace with it but it sort of irritated me. It IS extra work after all and I suppose I should be compensated. OR is it "no big deal"?

I'm a bit torn. I know there are times that people need extra time on one end of the day or the other....but on the other hand if I changed my policies they would just have to make it work wouldn't they?

I'd also considered moving up my closing time with the signing of the new contract. Then I know even if people show up at all hours of the morning they are out of here by 430/5 no matter what. I'm now open 6-6 and have been for nearly 3 years. I guess it'd be easier if someone said, "do you mind if I drop off early?" instead of just stating it or showing up.

Advice? What do you do?
JenNJ 06:34 AM 12-13-2011
I have contracted hours. I open at 8am. Anything before 8am is an additional charge and must be cleared with me a minimum of 24 hours beforehand. I close when the last kid leaves. I have some nights I close by 5 and others I am open until 6:30. It all depends on who is here and what their contract states.
CheekyChick 06:40 AM 12-13-2011
I am open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and parents can use the entire day or part of the day. It's up to them because they are paying for the day, regardless of how many hours they use. It all works out in the end because some use the entire day, some arrive at 10:00 a.m., and some leave at 3:15 p.m.

I think if I were to do "contracted hours" I would have a nervous breakdown trying to keep track of who came at what time and trying to figure what each family pays. Ugh. Not worth the hassle.

As far as advice... I would open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 5:30 a.m. Your day is sooooo long as it is. I would tell the parents they are welcome to come and go at whatever time they'd like during those hours. It will take the resentment away when you offer it to them.
Meyou 06:44 AM 12-13-2011
I'm open 730 to 530 and I charge a flat fee per week. They have access to all 50 hours. I charge enough so that it doesn't bother me when kids are here open to close. I'm paid well for working the hours I do IMO.
AnneCordelia 06:45 AM 12-13-2011
I have contracted hours and it's awesome. Parents must call if they are early...and, to be honest, I use every last minute before my first arrival and probably wouldn't hear the door if they were early anyway because of the blowdryer, running a load to the washer and finishing up the dishes. I always turn on my porch light and sit in the livingroom with my coffee at 2 minutes to first arrival, ready for them!

I like knowing exactly when everyone gets picked up too.
pfund2233 07:10 AM 12-13-2011
I just changed all this come the 1st of the year. I used to have just open hours... 530am - 530pm. And well the 3yr old DCB that comes at 530am would be here 11+ hours when I KNOW mom was done with work at 230pm and dad at 3pm. ANNOYING! And no I wasn't getting compinsated for the time cause I'm $25 a day. Well, like I said it's all changing!

Jan 1st....
Contracted hours and can't be more than 9.5 hours a day. Still $25 but no more than 9.5hrs. If they "need" extra hours they fill out a "Request for Overtime" form (at least 3 days before the day for the overtime). And I'll deny or approve the overtime. All hours over 9.5hrs that are APPROVED overtime will be charged $3.00 an hr and if over 9.5hrs that day and overtime wasn't approved overtime will be charged at $1.00 per min.

I work 12hr days as it is and am burning out! (see my post that says "how do I say this?) And parent's get paid for their overtime... why shouldn't I??
Zoe 07:17 AM 12-13-2011
I've never had a parent ask me what my open hours are. They just tell me what hours they need and if it works for me, then I'll take them on and we'll put the hours they need in the contract. They don't even realize there's a difference between contracted and open hours because they all use the time that is needed. And they all ask if they need to drop off earlier, and are ok if I say no (which has only happened once).

I like it this way. It isn't complicated keeping track of and gives me come consistency in my day.
Unregistered 07:18 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
All my kids showed up early today. I do have open hours and thought I'd made peace with it but it sort of irritated me. It IS extra work after all and I suppose I should be compensated. OR is it "no big deal"?

I'm a bit torn. I know there are times that people need extra time on one end of the day or the other....but on the other hand if I changed my policies they would just have to make it work wouldn't they?

I'd also considered moving up my closing time with the signing of the new contract. Then I know even if people show up at all hours of the morning they are out of here by 430/5 no matter what. I'm now open 6-6 and have been for nearly 3 years. I guess it'd be easier if someone said, "do you mind if I drop off early?" instead of just stating it or showing up.

Advice? What do you do?
I sometimes get torn, but I go on contracted hours. I am open from 7am-5pm You need to just tell your parents that your open from, blank to blank but they are to go on the contracted hours you set up, anything before or after that, there is a fee. Don't open your doors until opening time. I get annoyed when my parents don't call when they are running late. It makes it hard for me to plan. Change your policies to fit your needs and then enforce them. I find the hardest part of this job is having to deal with parents-they know the rules but they like to push to see what they can get away with. A newsletter is a nice way to enforce your policies with gentle reminders, or a general note to everyone from time to time. Best bet is to keep your door closed until opening. I am lenient if they show up early or late, but I have great parents for the most part. They come with cash in hand if they are late- unless I really had somewhere to go cash works for me. Don't let resentments build up, make your rules clear and don't feel bad for doing that. Bend when you want to bend. You learn early on who will take advantage and who will not.
frgsonmysox 07:32 AM 12-13-2011
I'm stilling in the planning stages of my daycare, and am currently working on my parent handbook. I was planning on having daycare hours 24 hours a day because we live in a military community and I know that military can run odd hours. However, I am not planning to provide care for my kids for 24 hours. I was going to have scheduled hours for my parents, that they can change with a 2 week notice, so each parent would have their own schedule. I was planning a 9 hour window per parent, is that too short? I see a lot of people do 10-11 hours.
MarinaVanessa 07:41 AM 12-13-2011
I do what you do and am open from 6am to 6pm. I do this because I don't want to waste my time interviewing clients that need child care before 6am or after 6pm, I'm just not willing to provide regular care earlier or later than that and having set operational hours helps deter that.

I do however have every family sign a contract and both that and the handbook specifically say that each families hours of care will be discussed and a set schedule will be made, we also discuss this during interviews. If they drop off early then it's $5 for every 15 minutes extra, if they pick up later then it's also extra etc. We talk about work schedules and factor in a fair amount of travel time etc. My FT and PT rates are based on a certain amount of hours so when I say that I charge $160 for FT I mean that it's $160 for 50 hours a week, any additional hours are $5 an hour extra. I set specific restrictions for everything. If they need me 53 hors a week then their rate is $175 a week for FT etc.

Also what really helps me is that I have a Schlage LiNK keyless entry system which I pay a monthly fee for. All of my FT and PT clients get their own code to the keypad that only works on the days that they are here and only during their scheduled times. For example, if a family is scheduled for Monday through Friday 8am-6pm and they arrive at 7:59am or 6:01pm they are early/late and their code will not work and they will have to knock. If it's more than 5 minutes either way (early/late) then they have to pay the extra fee (unless they talk to me in advance and I agree to it, then I may not bother charging them).

I know that not everyone can get the keyless entry system (it's about $300 for the hardware and $9 a month for the subscription that lets you schedule the codes) but what if you were to lock your door until your next parent was scheduled for pick up/drop off?
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 12-13-2011
Honestly, I have done it all ways. I used to be open 12 hours and charged by the day and of course everyone eventually ended up here all day every day....even if they didn't start out that way, they figured they were paying for the day so they used it all up. If you go that route, then do it like Meyou said and charge a high enough fee that it is worth it.

I also tried the contracted hours and that worked out ok but when parent's work schedules change or someone's situation changed, I found myself doing so much extra calculating and rate adjusting that I felt like an accountant. If you do it that way, I think it needs to work for ALL families and you have to have a plan in place for adjustments and changes.

I now charge a weekly rate (based on an 8 hour day and double the rate for each additional hour over 8 a family needs) so my rate increases based on pick up time. It works fantastic and I feel more than compensated for my "overtime". If parents complain about the higher charge...THEY are the ones who can change it by picking up earlier so it basically leaves me sitting out of the money dance. (Basically, it is Nannyde's rate structure.)

For me personally, I think this works best because I offer the parents a rate sheet and basically they get to pick their own rate from the sliding fee scale. Once they pick a rate and time though they have to stick with it (I require advance notice if they need to change) and if they are late picking up, I charge a $1 per minute.

So far, this is the best method for me. I feel compensated for having to work more than 8 hours and I feel the families who don't work as long or as much aren't feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick when before other families used the whole day and still paid the same rate as they did. KWIM?
wdmmom 08:20 AM 12-13-2011
I do contracted hours. Parents are charged according to the total number of hours per day and the departure time.

I am open 730-530pm. I have an infant that comes in at 730am and leaves at 345pm. The DCP's are charged according to the hours he is here.

The rate gets higher the later the departure time.
MarinaVanessa 08:48 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think it needs to work for ALL families and you have to have a plan in place for adjustments and changes.
Yep I agree. There are so many different ways to do it and the best way to figure out what works better for the individual is to try it out diffrent ways. I do like Nan's sliding fee schedule however I have FT, PT and drop-in clients and I had too many people asking for fewer hours (extremely part-time).

Maybe in the future I'll try it again but for now I like the way things work out for me. Very few providers do it the way that I do it and I'm sort of the opposite ... in a way, the longer you are here the less you pay by the hour. This encourages people to become FT and PT instead of only asking for drop-in, which seems to be what a lot of parents want around here.

FT for me is up to 50 hours a week with a set schedule at a rate of $160 per week. Anything over 50 hours is charged an extra $5 an hour. You have to come at your scheduled times, if you arrive late you lose hours and if youre late and dont call to let me know then I can schedule a drop-in and you lose a day. If you drop off early or pick up late or you pay extra.

Same idea with PT. PT is 29 hours a week or less, set days and hours at the rate of $108 a week. You can't switch days around, or trade days. If you are PT and schedule M-W-F and I close on M for a holiday or you have a Dr's appt you can't switch it and come on T. If you need childcare on T and I have room then you pay drop-in rates for the day.

Drop-in clients pay $40 per day for 10 hours. If you need more than 10 hours a day it's an extra $5 an hour. If you need less than 10 hours it's $5 an hour with a minimum of $20 per day. Whoever pays me first gets the slot and your slot isn't guaranteed. Drop-in clients don't pay for holidays or vacations but even if you pay drop-in and come regularly on the same days every week if one of my FT or PT clients needs extra hours, they get priority and you may find yourself without child care for the day.

It works for me because I "reward" my clients for becoming regular/scheduled FT and PT clients. FT clients pay less hourly than PT clients, PT clients pay less hourly than drop-in clients. A drop-in client that comes 4 days a week pays the same as a FT client that comes 5 days a week. I do it like this because the clients feel like they get a discount for upgrading from drop-in to PT, or PT to FT when in actuality I set my FT rates based on what I wanted to make and then just charged more for PT and even more for drop-in. They think that they are getting a discount but they aren't, PT and drop-in clients are just paying more per hour.

I think that the best thing to do is to see what your options are and try the ones that are more appealing to you. If you prefer to have the sliding scale then GREAT! I think that the key to success in whichever way you choose to do it is to have clear expexcations and communicate these clearly with your clients. Then have clear consequenses for everything that goes beyond what their rate covers AND IMPLEMENT THEM!!

It used to BUG me silly when clients came whenever they wanted to and tried to stay all day. Once I set limits to what their rates covered and set "overtime charges" most of my clients stopped or drastically reduced arriving early, late or leaving their kids here from open to close. The ones that still continued to do it didn't bother me anymore because at least I was being paid extra for my time. You want to leave little Suzie here from open to close every day of the week? Okay, sure. No problem. You'll just have to pay $210 a week for FT instead of $160
Lucy 08:55 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I have contracted hours and it's awesome. Parents must call if they are early...and, to be honest, I use every last minute before my first arrival and probably wouldn't hear the door if they were early anyway because of the blowdryer, running a load to the washer and finishing up the dishes. I always turn on my porch light and sit in the livingroom with my coffee at 2 minutes to first arrival, ready for them!

I like knowing exactly when everyone gets picked up too.
This exactly! My first one comes at 7:05, and if they pull up at 7:03, I am still brushing my teeth and wouldn't hear them. I must admit, if they come early and I do hear them (or if my first one isn't coming on a particular day, but my 7:30 one comes early), and I DO know they are there, I will do whatever I can to NOT answer the door right away. Then when I do, I go through a kind of fumbling thing to get the door & deadbolt unlocked, and open the door with a little bit of a surprise look, then look at the clock near the door and say, "oh, you guys are early this morning". It just drives home the point that it isn't cool with me to arrive early, and hopefully makes them think twice about doing it next time. And like you said, I really like knowing what time they are being picked up. I have them put their shoes & coats on and put any backpacks or belongings next to the door. It bugs me when someone comes even as much as 3 min late.
hoopinglady 11:23 AM 12-13-2011
here's what I'm thinking. (opinions are welcomed)

I think I would be too unorganized (unassertive) to deal with individual contracted hours.

I'm thinking of saying it like so: No rate increase BUT I now close at 4:30. There is an optional 430-530 pick up weekly rate at 40/week or something.

I really think all of my current families can work out the 430 thing though I'm sure they will be irritated about it.

Do you think the $40 is too steep?

I doubt this will put more money in my pocket but it will take a lot of the building resentment away. I can't carry on like this if I want to do this for long term, ya know?
wdmmom 11:51 AM 12-13-2011

I think I would be too unorganized (unassertive) to deal with individual contracted hours.

I'm thinking of saying it like so: No rate increase BUT I now close at 4:30. There is an optional 430-530 pick up weekly rate at 40/week or something.

I really think all of my current families can work out the 430 thing though I'm sure they will be irritated about it.

I doubt this will put more money in my pocket but it will take a lot of the building resentment away. I can't carry on like this if I want to do this for long term, ya know?
It's your business! Charge what you want! The difference here between a 430pm pick up and a 530pm pick up is a matter of $20 a week but I'm only open til 3pm on Fridays.
countrymom 12:01 PM 12-13-2011
I use to be open at 7am to 530pm and I had families who would use the whole day while they sat at home, I started finding that I didn't understand why I had to work long hours while the parents didn't and I would become more stressed out.

so I now do contracted hours, its not hard trust me, I'm open from 7am to 5pm but you need to give me your hours, I only charge extra after 5pm but now that I've become a bit meaner about pu and drop off times, I haven't had to charge anyone. I know some of you don't agree, but I'm not a babysitter, if they want to do errands than hire the teenager for 5 dollars and hour, but I stress the fact that I help the parents out when they are at work.
Meeko 01:35 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I am open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and parents can use the entire day or part of the day. It's up to them because they are paying for the day, regardless of how many hours they use. It all works out in the end because some use the entire day, some arrive at 10:00 a.m., and some leave at 3:15 p.m.

I think if I were to do "contracted hours" I would have a nervous breakdown trying to keep track of who came at what time and trying to figure what each family pays. Ugh. Not worth the hassle.

As far as advice... I would open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 5:30 a.m. Your day is sooooo long as it is. I would tell the parents they are welcome to come and go at whatever time they'd like during those hours. It will take the resentment away when you offer it to them.
Me too! I think of myself like a store. Open from this time to that time. Who comes and goes during that time is up to them. Most of my clients use about 9 hours on average. Some more, but some a lot less, so it all evens out as far as I'm concerned,
Country Kids 02:04 PM 12-13-2011
My hours are 7:00-5:00. When I sign a parent on they give me their work, school schedule. They can be here all day long if they want but they quickly learn that can get expensive. I charge an hourly rate but make more money than most of the providers in my area. Why, because if the hourly rate. Without a set rate the longer the child is hear the more they are paying. They learn quickly that it adds up when the clock is ticking away!
Crazy8 02:19 PM 12-13-2011
I do contracted hours. I don't give my "open" hours, first question I ask when people call is what hours they need and then we go from there. I only have up to 5 families so its not a lot to keep track of and their rate is weekly so its really nothing extra for me to keep track of.
CheekyChick 03:27 PM 12-13-2011

I think it would depend on the family. If one family drops at 6:30 a.m. and picks up at 4:00 p.m. - that would work. What about the families that work "standard" hours and they drop at 8:00 a.m. and pick up at 5:30 p.m.? I don't think they would be thrilled to have to pay an additional $40.00 per week when their child is only in care 9 1/2 hours. YKWIM?
CheekyChick 03:32 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Me too! I think of myself like a store. Open from this time to that time. Who comes and goes during that time is up to them. Most of my clients use about 9 hours on average. Some more, but some a lot less, so it all evens out as far as I'm concerned,
Exactly!!!

I have had few parents take advantage of using the entire day. My children start going home around 3:00'ish and by 5:30 p.m. most of my kiddos are long gone.
hoopinglady 03:52 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I think it would depend on the family. If one family drops at 6:30 a.m. and picks up at 4:00 p.m. - that would work. What about the families that work "standard" hours and they drop at 8:00 a.m. and pick up at 5:30 p.m.? I don't think they would be thrilled to have to pay an additional $40.00 per week when their child is only in care 9 1/2 hours. YKWIM?
I know. I have a family that drops off 630, 2 at 730 and 1 after 8. I have one mama who works over time in the morning at 430am!!

everyone could be picked up by 500 but when gma picks up for dad she is always 6 on the dot, or late. The others pick up anywhere between 430 and 6...no rhyme or reason.

I'm losing it...there's no way to make everyone happy with this one.

Unless I just raise my prices for everyone to compensate for long days, then they'd all be po'ed
Sunchimes 06:56 PM 12-13-2011
I started out expecting to have normal hours, but it didn't work. After a few months of no calls, I changed my ads to say I offered odd hour care. And that's what I do. It actually works pretty well, although now and then, the bad stars align and I have a 15 hour day. That's pretty rare though.
One dcd has an hour commute in a retail setting, so he never does drop off or pick up. Mom is a sub, and I am on call until 9 am. Usually, she knows the day before though. I have the dcg anywhere from 4-10 hours. I charge them a flat per day rate. The long hours are balanced with the short days.

One works in a convenience store and her hours change every week. I agreed to work to 7:30 pm, but in an effort to help a nice single mom, I've kept dcg until 9:30. I expect that sooner or later I'll keep her until midnight or overnight. We love the kid, and the mom is really nice, an excellent payer, and I don't mind helping out. These 2 moms work some Saturdays, so I'm working 6 days a week most of the time. I whine a bit, but I'm so grateful to have the work that I try to keep reminding myself that this beats Walmart. I probably wouldn't get to sing or laugh as much there.

My 3rd works 12 hour shifts, 3 days one week, 2 the next. She pays extra.

One set policy, either contract or set hours, wouldn't work for me. I offered odd hours, and I feel like I need to keep that promise with these 3. If one leaves, I probably won't offer odd hours again.
permanentvacation 10:22 AM 12-16-2011
I have them all on contracted hours just so I don't get up early for no reason. Currently, I have different kids arriving at different times- two at 6:00am, one at 6:30am, one arrives either at 7:30 or 8:30 depending on the days, and another arrives at 9:00am. They all leave by 5:30 except the one who stays til 6 on Friday. So, I could say to my parents "I'm open 6-5:30, come in whatever time you want." However, if I get up at 5am, get dressed and ready for work, and NOONE shows up til 9am, MAN AM I GONNA BE IRRITATED!!! So I do contracted hours for everyone just in case the early kids don't need daycare on any given day, so I can sleep in until I really need to get up for work.
momma2girls 05:36 PM 12-16-2011
I have never had my hrs. of daycare in my contract. Now about 6 yrs. ago, I changed it to contracted times only. I was exhausted working 12 hrs. per day. Then one Dad came when he wanted for drop off and pick up. Needless to say , it quickly changed after him!!
At the current time I am open 7:30-4:30- how wonderful!! I need to be off at 4:30 for appts., dinners, practices, gymnastics, swimming lessons, games, etc. with my own children.
Rachel 10:31 PM 12-17-2011
I also have open hours (I work for an organization that sets them). I am opened from 7 - 4:30, but only 1 kid consistently comes before 8 (and he usually goes around 3:30). Most of my kids are here approximately 8:30 - 4:15, depends on the family, and depends on the day.
VioletCupcake 06:00 PM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I have them all on contracted hours just so I don't get up early for no reason. Currently, I have different kids arriving at different times- two at 6:00am, one at 6:30am, one arrives either at 7:30 or 8:30 depending on the days, and another arrives at 9:00am. They all leave by 5:30 except the one who stays til 6 on Friday. So, I could say to my parents "I'm open 6-5:30, come in whatever time you want." However, if I get up at 5am, get dressed and ready for work, and NOONE shows up til 9am, MAN AM I GONNA BE IRRITATED!!! So I do contracted hours for everyone just in case the early kids don't need daycare on any given day, so I can sleep in until I really need to get up for work.
This sounds exactly like me! I am changing to contracted hours in Jan. because I HATE to get up and have no one show up! That happened to me today- I waited and hour and a half. I am so excited to start contracted hours!

I do have a question though...
What happens if a parent doesn't come at contracted drop off time? I really really don't want to charge late fees for drop off. Do I just adjust the drop off time? What if the parent gets upset and doesn't want it changed to later? I'm just worried since a few of my people are so random with their drop off times. But I LOVE my families so much, I hate to upset them.
permanentvacation 07:00 PM 12-19-2011
For parents that drop off at different times then contracted/expected, I've done a couple of things to get them to understand that they need to arrive at the agreed upon time.

If they seem to like to arrive earlier than agreed upon, (this actually only works for the child that arrives before everyone else) I have left them knocking on the door to the point that they call me from their cell phone while standing outside my house. I answer my phone and let them know that they are early and I haven't finished getting dressed yet. Then I wait until the exact minute they were supposed to arrive to open the door for them. Of course I give them a little speach about my needing my sleep and that I get dressed just in time to open at the scheduled time.

For those that arrive later than expected, I've done a couple of things. If a particular parent seems to always arrive at the same time, but later than contracted, I will let them know that I have noticed this and that we should change their contracted time to the later time that they actually arrive. Usually they are okay with that. If they fuss, then I might say something about if noone else is planning to come that day, or if I need to run out for milk, or drive my daughter to the bus stop, I need to know what time that I have to be here and if she really is not going to arrive before such a such time, we need to change her contract so I can plan my morning.

Another thing I've done to late arrivals is simply LEAVE BEFORE THEY GET HERE!!!!! Yeah, that gets their attention! I have had some sparatic arrivals who no matter what I say to them, just want to show up whenever. So, I started packing my kids up every morning and either go out for the day - to the park or wherever, and other times I have just sat down the road for a while. I have literally watched some of my parents pull up to my house, get out, go to my door, finally go back to their car in frustration, and call me. Then I tell them that I waited for them to arrive and gave them 15 minutes to be late. Since I hadn't heard from them, I thought they must not be coming that day and I have left. I usually tell them that I am pretty far away - like the next town or something. Then I tell them that I won't be back til late this afternoon. After a time or two of that, they usually start showing up on time!

I also have simply explained that they are disrupting the children's activities by arriving late. I do a preschool educational program with the kids here. I explain to the late arrivals that when they show up late, whether we are in the middle of story time, arts and crafts time, circle time, or whatever, it causes disruption in the children's activity. The children go off task, paint gets places it's not supposed to be, I have begin the activity all over again with their child, etc. Often after explaining that to the parent, they say things such as they don't want their child missing out on the activities or to cause interuptions for the other children, and ask what time my activities start for the day. I tell them that we start our day at 9 with breakfast then immediately go into our activities. Typically the parent then decides to be here by 9 every day.

I actually have terminated one parent who kept showing up at random times and couldn't care less about any of my reasons as to why I needed her to stick to an agreed upon drop off time. She would show up early, an hour late, three hours late, in the middle of nap, and actually dropped off a couple of times at 3 or so!!!

Since I am revising my contract now for next year, I am putting in the contract that all children must arrive by 9am or stay home for the day. I put in there that if they need to schedule doctor/dentist appointments or any other appointments, that they need to either schedule them for the afternoon or keep their child home for the day if they schedule the appointments for the morning.

I know of a daycare lady in my area who does not allow any parent to come to her daycare after her opening time or before her closing time. Like, if her hours are 7-5:30, you better drop off at 7 and not be back til 5:30! I don't know how she gets the parents to adhere to that rule, but from what I understand, noone comes to her house after open time or before her close time. Personally, that would make me a bit nervous that she demands that I can not go get my child whenever I want - and technically, it is illegal in this state - maybe everywhere?- for her to not allow parents access to their children, but she said that she informs them that she has a routine/schedule with the children and refuses to have anyone disrupt that routine.

I don't mind parents picking up early - that doesn't cause as much of a disturbance here. Plus, I'd rather get off work early than get up for work and noone show up!

We do have to remember that our childcare is our business, our company. Just like any other company, we can impliment policies (within the law) and demand that our policies are obeyed by our clients. If the client does not want to obey our policies, they can find childcare elsewhere.
VioletCupcake 10:34 PM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
For parents that drop off at different times then contracted/expected, I've done a couple of things to get them to understand that they need to arrive at the agreed upon time.

If they seem to like to arrive earlier than agreed upon, (this actually only works for the child that arrives before everyone else) I have left them knocking on the door to the point that they call me from their cell phone while standing outside my house. I answer my phone and let them know that they are early and I haven't finished getting dressed yet. Then I wait until the exact minute they were supposed to arrive to open the door for them. Of course I give them a little speach about my needing my sleep and that I get dressed just in time to open at the scheduled time.

For those that arrive later than expected, I've done a couple of things. If a particular parent seems to always arrive at the same time, but later than contracted, I will let them know that I have noticed this and that we should change their contracted time to the later time that they actually arrive. Usually they are okay with that. If they fuss, then I might say something about if noone else is planning to come that day, or if I need to run out for milk, or drive my daughter to the bus stop, I need to know what time that I have to be here and if she really is not going to arrive before such a such time, we need to change her contract so I can plan my morning.

Another thing I've done to late arrivals is simply LEAVE BEFORE THEY GET HERE!!!!! Yeah, that gets their attention! I have had some sparatic arrivals who no matter what I say to them, just want to show up whenever. So, I started packing my kids up every morning and either go out for the day - to the park or wherever, and other times I have just sat down the road for a while. I have literally watched some of my parents pull up to my house, get out, go to my door, finally go back to their car in frustration, and call me. Then I tell them that I waited for them to arrive and gave them 15 minutes to be late. Since I hadn't heard from them, I thought they must not be coming that day and I have left. I usually tell them that I am pretty far away - like the next town or something. Then I tell them that I won't be back til late this afternoon. After a time or two of that, they usually start showing up on time!

I also have simply explained that they are disrupting the children's activities by arriving late. I do a preschool educational program with the kids here. I explain to the late arrivals that when they show up late, whether we are in the middle of story time, arts and crafts time, circle time, or whatever, it causes disruption in the children's activity. The children go off task, paint gets places it's not supposed to be, I have begin the activity all over again with their child, etc. Often after explaining that to the parent, they say things such as they don't want their child missing out on the activities or to cause interuptions for the other children, and ask what time my activities start for the day. I tell them that we start our day at 9 with breakfast then immediately go into our activities. Typically the parent then decides to be here by 9 every day.

I actually have terminated one parent who kept showing up at random times and couldn't care less about any of my reasons as to why I needed her to stick to an agreed upon drop off time. She would show up early, an hour late, three hours late, in the middle of nap, and actually dropped off a couple of times at 3 or so!!!

Since I am revising my contract now for next year, I am putting in the contract that all children must arrive by 9am or stay home for the day. I put in there that if they need to schedule doctor/dentist appointments or any other appointments, that they need to either schedule them for the afternoon or keep their child home for the day if they schedule the appointments for the morning.

I know of a daycare lady in my area who does not allow any parent to come to her daycare after her opening time or before her closing time. Like, if her hours are 7-5:30, you better drop off at 7 and not be back til 5:30! I don't know how she gets the parents to adhere to that rule, but from what I understand, noone comes to her house after open time or before her close time. Personally, that would make me a bit nervous that she demands that I can not go get my child whenever I want - and technically, it is illegal in this state - maybe everywhere?- for her to not allow parents access to their children, but she said that she informs them that she has a routine/schedule with the children and refuses to have anyone disrupt that routine.

I don't mind parents picking up early - that doesn't cause as much of a disturbance here. Plus, I'd rather get off work early than get up for work and noone show up!

We do have to remember that our childcare is our business, our company. Just like any other company, we can impliment policies (within the law) and demand that our policies are obeyed by our clients. If the client does not want to obey our policies, they can find childcare elsewhere.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Everything you said really helped me feel better. I have done a pretty good job of standing my ground. But sometimes I get nervous, like maybe I am asking to much of families. But your right, it is my business. It's hard being younger than all my DCPs. Anyways I am super excited to start knowing when people are coming in the morning! Oh and I LOVE hearing all the things you have done to get through to families!
permanentvacation 01:48 PM 12-20-2011
Violet Cupcake,

You're welcome and good luck!
kidkair 03:25 PM 12-20-2011
Personally I love having open hours. All my families can drop off at 7 or later. I just greet them and we spend a few minutes getting the kid into the daycare and saying hi and goofing off then we slide back into whatever we were doing before the mild interruption. I ask that if they are changing their pick up times they let me know but that's really only if it's way off of routine such as picking up during nap rather than after or after nap rather than during depending on the family's usual schedule. For the most part all my families are really nice about letting me know when 'normal' is going to be off. The biggest key to my overall happiness with drop off and pick up is that it gets done at some point and that my families actually like spending time with their kids.
Sprouts 05:16 PM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, I have done it all ways. I used to be open 12 hours and charged by the day and of course everyone eventually ended up here all day every day....even if they didn't start out that way, they figured they were paying for the day so they used it all up. If you go that route, then do it like Meyou said and charge a high enough fee that it is worth it.

I also tried the contracted hours and that worked out ok but when parent's work schedules change or someone's situation changed, I found myself doing so much extra calculating and rate adjusting that I felt like an accountant. If you do it that way, I think it needs to work for ALL families and you have to have a plan in place for adjustments and changes.

I now charge a weekly rate (based on an 8 hour day and double the rate for each additional hour over 8 a family needs) so my rate increases based on pick up time. It works fantastic and I feel more than compensated for my "overtime". If parents complain about the higher charge...THEY are the ones who can change it by picking up earlier so it basically leaves me sitting out of the money dance. (Basically, it is Nannyde's rate structure.)

For me personally, I think this works best because I offer the parents a rate sheet and basically they get to pick their own rate from the sliding fee scale. Once they pick a rate and time though they have to stick with it (I require advance notice if they need to change) and if they are late picking up, I charge a $1 per minute.

So far, this is the best method for me. I feel compensated for having to work more than 8 hours and I feel the families who don't work as long or as much aren't feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick when before other families used the whole day and still paid the same rate as they did. KWIM?
Hi again black cat! I am in the process of changing around my rates and fees part of my contract for new parents. I am going over the wording and fee scale because i see you use Nannys rate schedule also. Do you give parents a copy of this or hold it in case they are spys!?
Also I am writing that "rates are based on hours and are contracted with each family"
I am deciding between making my base hours 9 or 10 hours. Sme parents are commuters and don't want to scare them away too fast...50 hours weeks sounds so much too me for a baby
Sprouts 10:52 PM 12-28-2011
okay i finally figured it out and i just finished making my charts lol....
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
okay i finally figured it out and i just finished making my charts lol....
I PM'ed you. Let me know if my copied and pasted paragraph didn't come out right. I hit send and didn't proof read to make sure it read right....
Tags:contracted hours, contracted hours vs open hours, drop in care
Reply Up