Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Where Do I Begin With Deprived Children?
Hasna 04:21 PM 01-16-2012
Last week, I started looking after my four cousins, ages 4,5,8, and 12, for about 9 hours a day. Unfortunately, the 4 and 5 year-olds are not in school and, of course, aren't intellectually up to par.

I would really like to put a lot of time into getting them caught up to speed. They barely know the alphabet and have never been introduced to shapes, colors, and numbers. Though they've been academically neglected, they are very well behaved and eager to learn. I've been printing out free preschool worksheets, but have no idea in which area to start. Where should I begin with these children?

Thanx
daycare 05:10 PM 01-16-2012
welcome to the form.. I am sure that others will have lots of advice to offer you.

If I were you, I would develop a routine first.

When will you do things, at what time.
How will you do it?
where will you do it?

Once you have established a consistent routine, I would start off my implementing the simple things as you stated...ABCs and 123s....

you can select themes from free websites like all kids network...

dont expect too much out of them and remember that the key is consistency and patience.

You are a such a wonderful person for helping these children..
Blackcat31 05:35 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Hasna:
Last week, I started looking after my four cousins, ages 4,5,8, and 12, for about 9 hours a day. Unfortunately, the 4 and 5 year-olds are not in school and, of course, aren't intellectually up to par.

I would really like to put a lot of time into getting them caught up to speed. They barely know the alphabet and have never been introduced to shapes, colors, and numbers. Though they've been academically neglected, they are very well behaved and eager to learn. I've been printing out free preschool worksheets, but have no idea in which area to start. Where should I begin with these children?

Thanx
The first thing I would suggest that you do is find a good developmental check list so that you know exactly what is and isn't in the normal range for their ages. Try this one: http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...0local%20token Don't stress so much about the academic stuff....that comes in time. I would more concerned about whether or not they are on par with self-help skills and good social behaviors.

Spend some time reading through the forum in the curriculum area and you should find some really helpful ideas on how to help them out. I don't suggest printed worksheets though fo rkids that age unless they have the attention span and the willingness to want to do them. You would acheive much higher results if you incorporate the teaching of colors/numbers into games and free play activities rather than sit down written work sheets.

Oh and welcome to the forum.....please learn and share
AfterSchoolMom 05:37 PM 01-16-2012
See if you can find information on what is expected of a child entering Kindergarten in your area. Our area gives a "screening" to rising Kindergarteners that involves letters, numbers, sorting, parts of the body, full name, phone number, address, etc. That may be a good starting point.
Heidi 07:55 PM 01-16-2012
There is honestly plenty of time to learn "academics".

Worksheets and such are not really appropriate for such young children. They generally learn best through play. A worksheet or an art activity with a specific product is ok once in a while. It teaches following directions, and can be a bit of a foundation for what will come in school.

Read to them, ALOT! All the research says...read to them, read to them, read to them!

Play games with them (HI HO CHEERIO teaches colors,
& counting for instance). Games also teach the idea of taking turns and being a good sport. These skills are more important than knowing all you ABC's.

Things like painting or coloring can teach colors. Sit down with them and just join in. Narrate what you are doing "I am drawing a red bird, and two blue dogs. Isn't that funny, blue dogs?" Baking with them can teach math concepts (counting, measuring), or divide up a bag of M& M's by color. How many blue ones, how many red ones? How many does each person get?

Good luck to you & your little buddies!
Countrygal 04:40 AM 01-17-2012
I'm not an expert - I don't have a degree in education or anything, but I did homeschool all three of my children with huge success.

I think it depends a lot upon how old and well developed they are. You mention they are way behind in their learning, but what about in the other areas such as motor skills, speech, etc?

I'm going to disagree with the others a little here. My 5yo loves worksheets. He doesn't like to color a lot. The four yo I have in daycare loves to color. I would work more with them as individuals. Does one like worksheets and one like to color? Go with it! Do a worksheet and then a coloring sheet. But don't do more than one or two at a time. They are definitely too little to do a lot. My gs is almost six and we only do 1 1/2 hours of "school" and that is a combination of reading, writing, coloring, worksheets, listening, science and history. Sometimes even that is split or relaxed for the day, depending upon the day.

What I think I'm trying to say is do what works for you. Basic things like colors, numbers, counting, even basic adding and subtracting concepts can easily be taught (and probably better taught) through play and interaction. A few worksheets a day thrown in to reinforce concepts I think is fine - but I certainly don't think they're the best way to teach a concept.

I hope I'm making sense. It's early and I didn't sleep too well last night.
countrymom 06:15 AM 01-17-2012
leap frog videos are awesome. I would get the letter one for sure. Not every kid loves work sheets. So you need to find out what works for them. Make sure they have access to books, and crayons and coloring and art. Can I ask, why are they behind and how are the other children doing in school.
ebonyannette 07:33 AM 01-17-2012
aww, well I wouldnt say they are deprived, is it possible they just dont meet your expectations?

Im not a daycare provider but maybe just try to go easy on them. I was very hard on my son (now 3) because he was a late talker and had a bit of a delay, we went through speech therapy and all of that and now that he is in HeadStart (not pre-k yet) he is one of the smartest in the class, he just doesnt learn the same way other kids learn.

Did their parents send them to you to help them learn curriculum? if so take it easy and just do shape recognition, abc's, and numbers lots of learning through play.

I realized after babysitting my friends child (age 5) that she was JUST mastering things I thought my 3 y/o should already know. And she is considered "ahead" (her moms a teacher) Heck I wanted him to trace letters and he can barely hold a pencil without his hand cramping up! I dont think hes behind at all or not as intellectual.

They will learn everything they need to know in Kindergarten so dont stress yourself out too much.
Heidi 08:50 AM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I'm not an expert - I don't have a degree in education or anything, but I did homeschool all three of my children with huge success.

I think it depends a lot upon how old and well developed they are. You mention they are way behind in their learning, but what about in the other areas such as motor skills, speech, etc?

I'm going to disagree with the others a little here. My 5yo loves worksheets. He doesn't like to color a lot. The four yo I have in daycare loves to color. I would work more with them as individuals. Does one like worksheets and one like to color? Go with it! Do a worksheet and then a coloring sheet. But don't do more than one or two at a time. They are definitely too little to do a lot. My gs is almost six and we only do 1 1/2 hours of "school" and that is a combination of reading, writing, coloring, worksheets, listening, science and history. Sometimes even that is split or relaxed for the day, depending upon the day.

What I think I'm trying to say is do what works for you. Basic things like colors, numbers, counting, even basic adding and subtracting concepts can easily be taught (and probably better taught) through play and interaction. A few worksheets a day thrown in to reinforce concepts I think is fine - but I certainly don't think they're the best way to teach a concept.

Homeschool, daycare, in in WI. I wish you were near me so we could hang out!
Countrygal 01:59 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Homeschool, daycare, in in WI. I wish you were near me so we could hang out!
ROAD TRIP!!!!
dave4him 05:24 PM 01-17-2012
I struggle with that myself, though my five year old is in half day prek, i try to work on the little ones with the basics for now, shapes and colors... if they want to learn it always helps to make it fun but never long and lengthy
Hasna 01:03 PM 01-18-2012
Thank you all so much for all of your great information! I can't lie, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the options I have. I plan of sitting down and outlining a simple day plan or routine for them. I like the ideas of learning through playing, but I have to search for some games and activities.

Again, thank you all so much for your responses
Hasna 01:08 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
welcome to the form.. I am sure that others will have lots of advice to offer you.

If I were you, I would develop a routine first.

When will you do things, at what time.
How will you do it?
where will you do it?

Once you have established a consistent routine, I would start off my implementing the simple things as you stated...ABCs and 123s....

you can select themes from free websites like all kids network...

dont expect too much out of them and remember that the key is consistency and patience.

You are a such a wonderful person for helping these children..
Thank you so much. I plan on creating some type of a routine. I do believe consistency and patience are definitely key.
Hasna 01:14 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Try this one: http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...0local%20token
Thanks for the link! This was really helpful.
Hasna 01:18 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:

This is great advice. These two boys are very different and I'll keep in mind that what works with one, may not work for the other!
Hasna 01:28 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by ebonyannette:
aww, well I wouldnt say they are deprived, is it possible they just dont meet your expectations?
Unfortunately, I would have to say that I think they are. They don't get a lot of attention from their mom and up until now, the 12 year was responsible for way too much. They've probably never had a book read to them in their life. It's really rough in their household
ebonyannette 07:23 AM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Hasna:
Unfortunately, I would have to say that I think they are. They don't get a lot of attention from their mom and up until now, the 12 year was responsible for way too much. They've probably never had a book read to them in their life. It's really rough in their household
Oh my im sorry to hear that. Bless you for taking care of them!
itlw8 07:12 PM 01-29-2012
first thing throw away the worksheets.

read to them several times a day. Do lots on hands on activites write letters in finger paint, color on plain paper, give them a spiral notebook. I have no idea why but kids love them and write all sorts of things in them. Paint... a artist has to sign their work... so good practice writing your name.

label things seeing the written word like door, truck, ball teaches them letters make words and words mean something.
Tags:care courses, curriculum - age appropriate, developmental - support, training, underdeveloped
Reply Up