Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Turn Them Over When They Roll?
Willow 12:29 PM 09-26-2012
I've got two three month olds BOTH of whom are already rolling over and both of whom definitely prefer to sleep on their bellies. I lay them down on their backs obviously but before they actually fall asleep they both will typically roll.

I've never had a baby, much less two, roll to sleep this early and to be honest it's freaking me out!

When you have an infant roll to belly do you roll them back onto their backs or just let them be? I've been trying to roll them back but they wake right back up no matter how gently I try to go about it. I've spoken to their parents and both sets tell me they just let them be, primarily because it helps to relieve gas pains (which both have quite a bit of). They also both have GERD which I convinced them to inquire their pediatricians on. Both are now on meds for it but they still urp-up a lot. I have to change pnp sheets daily because of the messes they make, and the crying alone because of the discomfort it brings makes it tough enough to get them both down for any amount of time. I end up checking on them every 5-10 minutes or so because I'm so nervous they're going to end up face down in a puddle of urp

Any advice, suggestions or reassurance anyone could offer here? Is there anything else I can or should be doing or is this just something I'm going to have to wait out to resolve on it's on as they get older?
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 09-26-2012
I just asked my licensor this same thing a little while back.

She said, no. Once they learn to roll over on their own, we do NOT have to roll them back over. She said it is best to simply check on them a bit more frequently but for the most part there is nothing else we can do.

Once they are capable of rolling front to back and/or back to front, they have sufficient body control to move their own heads and faces if breathing is obstructed or difficult.

My two babies sleep right in the main area of the daycare so they are never outside of my direct vision so seeing them breathing is easy.

My one little one throws up ALOT (pink stuff baby...LOL) and I too change bedding several times a week. This baby sleeps much better on their tummy but it is only if they roll that way. I put them on their back to sleep and they roll onto their tummy so....

I think that (the GERD) IS cause for some worry but I would think being on the tummy would be better if they did throw up rather than being on their backs and having it pool in the back of their throat....kwim?

I know it is stressfull when they start rolling but you can only do what you can and we can't stop them from developing.

HTH
MyAngels 05:14 PM 09-26-2012
I wanted to add a couple of pieces of information from a recent AAP safe sleep webinar that I attended awhile back:

Babies are less likely to choke on spit up if they are on their backs due to the positions of the esophagus and the trachea as shown in the first illustration.

and

Babies can sleep on their stomachs once they can role both front to back and back to front (second illustration).
Attached: Safe%20Sleep%20Webinar.pdf.pdf (103.8 KB) Safe%20Sleep%20Webinar.pdf1.pdf (56.6 KB) 
littlemissmuffet 06:07 PM 09-26-2012
I have always been taught to NEVER put a baby to sleep on their bellies, but once they roll on their own they should be fine (but as Cat mentioned to check on them more frequently than you otherwise would). If you're very considered I think that video monitors are a really great investment for childcares that takes very young infants.
Reply Up