Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlicensed Providers-Lack Of Certification Holding You Back?
MotherNature 07:26 AM 02-27-2013
I've been providing care to one child (I have my own 2 yr old as well.) for 6 months now. The mom is extremely behind on paying. She was my 1st interview & I took her b/c I needed $. I'd like to take in another kid or a couple part-timers to help get some more $ in. I put my ad back up today. I have a couple questions/problems though:

It's legal in my state to be completely unlicensed, & claim the business on taxes, which is what we're doing. However, I don't have formal training, just life experience. I do not have CPR certification. It's been years since I did. I have had bloodborne pathogens certification, but it lapsed 2 years ago. I was a medical student & stayed home with my son. Someday, I may finish my degree, but for right now, I have knowledge & no degree. Should I seek classes for CPR, Early Childhood Ed, etc immediately? Will people take me seriously w/o it? I guess some people may contact me, but I'm worried they'll be problem parents. I'd love to be able to be selective of whom I take, but right now, we need the $ since DCM owes me $900.

I am serving a niche to make up for my lack of certification: Other crunchy moms..Attachment Parenting subscribers. It's also how I parent, so that's comfortable to me. My son still breastfees quite a lot, so whomever I take in has to be comfortable with this. I have no problem wearing a baby all day & using breastmilk & cloth diapers, & keep a low child-to-adult ratio b/c of this.

Also, my backyard is not fully fenced. We rent a duplex, so I can't build a fence.

Mainly, I'm worried that my certifications will hold me back. Advice? Are there other providers in a similar boat that are successful & able to be selective? Right now I think I'll have to take in whomever until I'm able to have the $ for certifications & then become more selective.
jessrlee 07:50 AM 02-27-2013
I am registered so my opinion might mean diddley I think the way you present yourself and your professionalism means just as much as certification and all of that. (As long as you are legal )
LaLa1923 07:59 AM 02-27-2013
I think it's great you're serving a niche. However, I think all providers should have a CPR/First Aid, and sids certification. Also, by becoming licensed you can join the food program and make more $$.

Also, no pay- no stay!

I can't fathom why any state would allow a childcare business to be legally unlicensed.
daycare123 08:00 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I've been providing care to one child (I have my own 2 yr old as well.) for 6 months now. The mom is extremely behind on paying. She was my 1st interview & I took her b/c I needed $. I'd like to take in another kid or a couple part-timers to help get some more $ in. I put my ad back up today. I have a couple questions/problems though:

It's legal in my state to be completely unlicensed, & claim the business on taxes, which is what we're doing. However, I don't have formal training, just life experience. I do not have CPR certification. It's been years since I did. I have had bloodborne pathogens certification, but it lapsed 2 years ago. I was a medical student & stayed home with my son. Someday, I may finish my degree, but for right now, I have knowledge & no degree. Should I seek classes for CPR, Early Childhood Ed, etc immediately? Will people take me seriously w/o it? I guess some people may contact me, but I'm worried they'll be problem parents. I'd love to be able to be selective of whom I take, but right now, we need the $ since DCM owes me $900.

I am serving a niche to make up for my lack of certification: Other crunchy moms..Attachment Parenting subscribers. It's also how I parent, so that's comfortable to me. My son still breastfees quite a lot, so whomever I take in has to be comfortable with this. I have no problem wearing a baby all day & using breastmilk & cloth diapers, & keep a low child-to-adult ratio b/c of this.

Also, my backyard is not fully fenced. We rent a duplex, so I can't build a fence.

Mainly, I'm worried that my certifications will hold me back. Advice? Are there other providers in a similar boat that are successful & able to be selective? Right now I think I'll have to take in whomever until I'm able to have the $ for certifications & then become more selective.
I definitely think that getting recertified in cpr and first aid would be a benefit. In my state it is completely legal to be unlicensed as long as your in ratio. I am legally unlicensed. I have a contract and conduct my daycare as a licensed person would. I definitely would not allow someone to become so far behind on payments. I have wonderful families and they don't think twice about the fact that I am not licensed. It will take time for you to build up your reputation. I found 2 of my 3 parents on craigslist and one on facebook. I also live in an apartment building on the bottom floor. Facing a fairly busy street. We have no fence. I do not have any certifications except cpr/first aid either. I believe that yes certifications are good but not all licensed providers are better than unlicensed. I would give mom the option of a payment plan to get caught up or term. I don't think breastfeeding would hold anyone back. You may be asked to cover up. Good luck in your search for kids!
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I can't fathom why any state would allow a childcare business to be legally unlicensed.
I don't think that being licensed prevents, cures or curbs anything bad that happens in child care.

I think that states that allow legally unlicensed care actually allow parents to make the decision on who is and isn't appropirate to care for their children.

Imagine that....giving the decision back to parents.... quite a novel idea.
TheGoodLife 08:20 AM 02-27-2013
I am license exempt- I care for 1-3 children at a time. However, I have my COR and First Aid training, as well as daycare orientation. I would definitely stay current with all safety classes even I you are not going to be licensed.
jessrlee 08:27 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I am license exempt- I care for 1-3 children at a time. However, I have my COR and First Aid training, as well as daycare orientation. I would definitely stay current with all safety classes even I you are not going to be licensed.
I agree. I guess I should have mentioned the safety classes. I forget that not everyone is certified

I agree with being able to be license exempt. Having that freedom of choice is so important. You can follow your own path and stay small with 2-3 kiddos or get licensed and do it big with 10-12. Something for everyone
Scout 08:35 AM 02-27-2013
I had no problem finding familes without being licensed or with any certification at the time I opened. I still don't have any but, I do plan on taking cpr/first aid really soon here! All my families are aware of this.
CedarCreek 08:42 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I am registered so my opinion might mean diddley I think the way you present yourself and your professionalism means just as much as certification and all of that. (As long as you are legal )
Your opinion is worth way more than "diddley". I'm registered too and the state comes out and inspects me and my house just like licensed providers! The only reason i'm not licensed is because I have no interest in taking any more kids than the 6 under 5 and 6 school age that I am currently permitted.
momofboys 08:46 AM 02-27-2013
I think it's great you're serving a niche. However, I think all providers should have a CPR/First Aid, and sids certification. Also, by becoming licensed you can join the food program and make more $$.

Also, no pay- no stay!

In my state it is 100% legal. I am up-to-date on cpr & 1st aid.
momofboys 08:48 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think that being licensed prevents, cures or curbs anything bad that happens in child care.

I think that states that allow legally unlicensed care actually allow parents to make the decision on who is and isn't appropirate to care for their children.

jessrlee 08:53 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Your opinion is worth way more than "diddley". I'm registered too and the state comes out and inspects me and my house just like licensed providers! The only reason i'm not licensed is because I have no interest in taking any more kids than the 6 under 5 and 6 school age that I am currently permitted.
In my state registered is licensed. The only ones that get a license status is centers. So what I meant was, as a "licensed" provider I have obviously made another choice. However, I believe that the way you conduct your business is just as much a draw as how many ECE classes you have taken. (Not that it isn't important). Oh, and thank you for validating my opinion
Meyou 09:00 AM 02-27-2013
I'm legally unlicensed where I live and I also fill a gap in a niche market. I offer a back to basics program with whole foods, simple toys and lots of outside time. I have no problem filling space and often have a waiting list. I've turned 5 people away this year alone and have a 6th rearranging her work week so she can take my one part time opening in Sept.

I think I'm good at what I do and I can back up my program with confidence. I do have first aid, child/infant CPR, a child abuse registry check and police checks done though although none are required.
CedarCreek 09:06 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
In my state registered is licensed. The only ones that get a license status is centers. So what I meant was, as a "licensed" provider I have obviously made another choice. However, I believe that the way you conduct your business is just as much a draw as how many ECE classes you have taken. (Not that it isn't important). Oh, and thank you for validating my opinion
Gotcha.
MotherNature 09:09 AM 02-27-2013
OK, great. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll be looking into getting the certs with tax $ to help improve my odds.
LaLa1923 10:18 AM 02-27-2013

I hear you, but there are a lot of unlicensed people here and there's no one checking up on them. It's sad but not everyone is cut out for this or in it for the right reasons. I do think it can prevent things, I'm not sure how your state runs your program but they mentioned things I had never thought of! It's all about the safety of the kids....
LaLa1923 10:18 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:

LaLa1923 10:22 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I'm legally unlicensed where I live and I also fill a gap in a niche market. I offer a back to basics program with whole foods, simple toys and lots of outside time. I have no problem filling space and often have a waiting list. I've turned 5 people away this year alone and have a 6th rearranging her work week so she can take my one part time opening in Sept.

I think I'm good at what I do and I can back up my program with confidence. I do have first aid, child/infant CPR, a child abuse registry check and police checks done though although none are required.

Very professional!
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 02-27-2013
I hear you, but there are a lot of unlicensed people here and there's no one checking up on them. It's sad but not everyone is cut out for this or in it for the right reasons. I do think it can prevent things, I'm not sure how your state runs your program but they mentioned things I had never thought of! It's all about the safety of the kids....
I absolutely agree with you but I also feel that parents should have the right to choose whomever they want to watch their children. If that means they choose a provider who is not certified in CPR or SIDS then that is on them.

I also agree that licensing does educate and inform providers of things that maybe weren't or aren't well known but I still believe that state licensing does not guarantee good or quality care.

I know several unlicensed, legally unlicensed and licensed providers who really shouldn't be in the field at all.

One thing I do think there should be a ONE consistent set of rules and guidelines used for ALL states who do choose to license or certify providers.
daycare123 11:17 AM 02-27-2013
In my state and im sure in any unlicensed people can be reported and someone at anytime can check on us.
Heidi 11:59 AM 02-27-2013
Each state has it's own regs, obviously. But most have a certain number of children you can care for without being regulated.

Here in WI, it's 3 under the age of 7. Once you have #4 under the age of 7, you must be licensed. Certified providers can still only have 3 under age 7, but they can take state funded kids and be on the food program. It used to be relatively easy to be certified...a little bit of paperwork and presto. Not so much anymore. In fact, it's almost the same as being licensed, but you can't have as many kids, so it's really not popular anymore. Licensed family childcare is up to 8 children, with some variation for kids under 2. Group care is 9+ children, and is very hard to do in a house. You pretty much need a commerical building because of fire and building codes.

There is a vast difference between being legally unregulated (1-3 children, or heck, even a 4th once in a blue moon), and being an ILLEGAL provider. To me, and illegal provider is someone who has 7, 8, 12, or even 18 kids and is not licensed. We have a few in our county, and the state makes very little effort to do anything about them. It's very frustrating! Another thing I hold against our QRIS. They are micro-managing regulated care to death, but do nothing about those who aren't even following health and safety laws.
Heidi 12:02 PM 02-27-2013
Sorry..OP

Sounds like you have a wonderful plan. I agree with the others that CPR and SIDS prevention, plus child abuse and neglect training are important.

Your "crunchy" attachment approach sounds like my worst nightmare... But I am sure you'll get clients and the children in your program will thrive.

Regulated or not, put together a simple contract and get paid UP FRONT! Do a search here for contract ideas and on the 'net in general. There are a lot of templates out there.
Lyss 12:43 PM 02-27-2013
^^ (forgot to quote ) I agree!

Check around for classes offered by your state or local child care referral network, sometimes they are cheaper. Definitely get them, not only for the safety of the children but also for your own piece of mind as it's very important to have first aid/CPR when working with kids.

No pay, no stay! Payment due in advance! I'm not licenced but I have a contract and I hold parents to it. It's just as important to stay firm as it is to have the contract! $900 is a lot of money, i would tell mom she can't bring the DCK back without payment!

I'm legally unlicensed but I've taken all the courses and classes to become registered (everything but the home inspection), I just haven't yet because we'd have to fence a large field area in the back in order to pass. I already had CPR/first aid/background checks, I just keep them current and continue to take classes.

I'd like to get registered (I don't want more kids though!) but our back yard is set up weird. We have a traditional small back yard (grass, patio, garden area) and then beyond it (divided by 10ft bushes & a small gate) is our field area that the DCKs use. There is tons of room to run and play (and I don't have to have the DC toys swallowing up my backyard) but our field is only enclosed on all but one side, which leads to the neighbors field (which we also use and is enclosed the same weird way). Even though the kids can't get into any other yards, out front, or into the neighbors "traditional" backyard area I'd have to partition the 2 fields according to my licenser and I really don't want to loose the extra space or pay the money for it to be fenced.

I absolutely agree with you but I also feel that parents should have the right to choose whomever they want to watch their children. If that means they choose a provider who is not certified in CPR or SIDS then that is on them.

I also agree that licensing does educate and inform providers of things that maybe weren't or aren't well known but I still believe that state licensing does not guarantee good or quality care.

I know several unlicensed, legally unlicensed and licensed providers who really shouldn't be in the field at all.

One thing I do think there should be a ONE consistent set of rules and guidelines used for ALL states who do choose to license or certify providers.
A friend of mine has done daycare for years and lives a few blocks from my house, her certifier only came at the initial inspection and to re-certify her when she moved. The certifier told her that providers in certain areas of town don't have to worry about inspections as much as the people on the other side of town because of "standard of living" I've met some crazies in our area when we're out at the park and think its ridiculous to say a kid is safe because of the zipcode of the provider.

Licenced or not I think ultimately it is the parent's responsibility to find (and monitor) the care that their child receives.
blandino 01:12 PM 02-27-2013

I couldn't agree more. I actually probably wouldn't be licensed, if being unlicensed was legal in my state. There are plenty of unlicensed daycares in my area, but OK law says any unlicensed daycare is illegal and can be shut down immediately at any moment. I think it's a ridiculous law, and if a parent wants to bring a child to an unlicensed daycare, knowing that there is no one governing them - then it is that parent's decision and risk to take.

However, the law is what it is - so we are licensed.
Sunnyyy1 06:47 PM 02-27-2013
I would atleast keep a up to date CPR, First Aid, and sids certificate.
Tags:attachment parenting techniques, certification, home daycare, unlicensed
Reply Up