Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ankle Weights For Babies????
frugalmama4 09:12 AM 03-27-2013
Hello all,

Has any one every used ankle weights to help teach/train a baby to walk/use leg and own body weight??

Long story short I have 17 mo old not able to walk due to issues with one of his legs...now he moves around great very strong...just not able to walk or stand by himself yet. Doctors told parents to give it another month or so be for they try therapy.

I was going to recommend the ankle weights...I just don't have any experience with them myself.

Thanks yall
snbauser 09:14 AM 03-27-2013
I have never heard of that. I would think that would create undue stress on their hips and lower back. I would wait and let the doctor/therapists decide what to do.
just_peachy 09:15 AM 03-27-2013
Never heard of it, but I'd DEFINITELY leave it up to the professionals. Not even adults are supposed to start "weight training" without checking with a pro first!!
youretooloud 09:32 AM 03-27-2013
I've heard ankle weights are not even safe for adults. It throws things off.

I'd personally leave it all alone completely. Let him walk when he walks.
sharlan 09:37 AM 03-27-2013
I'm tempted to use them on my 18 mo. Maybe that would keep her feet on the ground.

I AM JUST KIDDING. i WOULD NEVER DO IT.
mema 09:41 AM 03-27-2013
I wouldn't. I would leave it up to the doctors. They are obviously aware of it-let them decide what to do and when.
countrymom 09:54 AM 03-27-2013
does this child spend alot of time in a walker or exersaucer. I'm finding that the kids who walk funny spend alot of time in a toy of some sort and they tend to walk on their tippy toes toos. As for the one hip, can it be that his hip is displaced and no one has ever caught it. I would recommend walking shoes, they seem to help alot.
Brooksie 09:56 AM 03-27-2013
That does not sound like a good idea to me. It would just add unnecessary strain on someone who is already having a tough time. That would make the challenge even more so. Definitely counter active. I'd recommend leaving it up to the professionals
Luna 10:02 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm tempted to use them on my 18 mo. Maybe that would keep her feet on the ground.

I AM JUST KIDDING. i WOULD NEVER DO IT.
I'm thinking 15-20 lbs? On each ankle? That oughtta slow her down

To the OP, I agree with others. Leave it up to the therapist.
Starburst 12:13 AM 03-30-2013
I think a better thing for building muscle in his legs would be helping him with leg movements to work on his large motor skills, like an 'air biking' leg stretch (like rolling his legs in circular motions like he was riding a bike). Instead of "tummy time" it would be more like "back time"
Tags:ankle weights, baby exercises, exercise - kids, therapist
Reply Up