Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Interested In Creative Curriculum
Crystal 07:51 AM 04-05-2013
Redleaf Press has a GREAT deal on the Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care right now!!!

http://www.redleafpress.org/Creative...tion-P415.aspx
momofsix 11:12 AM 04-05-2013
How important do you think going to the trainings is? Do the books do a good enough job explaining things or do you think the trainings are necessary?
I've been thinking about getting the books, but I haven't seen any trainings around here so was wondering if it would be worth it?
Thanks Crystal!
slpender 11:20 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
How important do you think going to the trainings is? Do the books do a good enough job explaining things or do you think the trainings are necessary?
I've been thinking about getting the books, but I haven't seen any trainings around here so was wondering if it would be worth it?
Thanks Crystal!
I know thw trainings in my area are really boring it is just power points from the book I liked just reading the book on my own and slowly changing the way I was doing things. I think the books are very detailed and the activity cards are great.
MarinaVanessa 11:38 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
I know thw trainings in my area are really boring it is just power points from the book I liked just reading the book on my own and slowly changing the way I was doing things. I think the books are very detailed and the activity cards are great.
Is this a guide on how or is this an actual curriculum? As in lesson plans, themes etc. That's really what I'm looking for. I already bought a great reference book from Redleaf that explains the why of curriculum and all about the development of early childhood and about the development domains etc. If this a book with an actual curriculum in it I'll add it to my wishlist and maybe get in next week or the week after.
Crystal 11:55 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Thanks Crystal!
I think it is fairly self-explanatory and the training is not a requirement to implement it in your program.
momofsix 11:57 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I think it is fairly self-explanatory and the training is not a requirement to implement it in your program.
Thank you
Crystal 11:59 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Is this a guide on how or is this an actual curriculum? As in lesson plans, themes etc. That's really what I'm looking for. I already bought a great reference book from Redleaf that explains the why of curriculum and all about the development of early childhood and about the development domains etc. If this a book with an actual curriculum in it I'll add it to my wishlist and maybe get in next week or the week after.
This comes with the curriculum. It will mostly revolve around the "learning games" that it comes with (there are 68 of them) and the environment. The books help set up a developmentally appropriate learning environment, and helps you plan your activities for every day.

Here is what it comes with:

The Creative Curriculum® for Family Child Care

The Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care is the only research-based, comprehensive curriculum that addresses the unique strengths and challenges of family child care.

Updated and Expanded

Our completely updated and expanded second edition helps family child care providers design high-quality home-based programs that are responsive to the needs of children from birth to age 12. It also helps family child care educators to integrate learning into every moment of the day.

Packed with valuable information, The Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care helps educators:
Set up the learning environment
Plan developmentally appropriate routines and activities for every day of the week.
Promote children’s learning and development in all the core areas.
Build partnerships with families that are based on trust and mutual respect.

The Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care includes:
Volume 1: The Foundation
Volume 2: Routines & Experiences
Sixty-eight laminated LearningGames® in English or Spanish (also available for separate purchase)
DVD of the classic video, Caring and Learning
CD-ROM with copies of forms and letters to parents (in English and Spanish)

Includes: Two-Volume Set (456 pages, paperback); 68 laminated LearningGames®; Caring and Learning DVD; CD-ROM

Crystal 12:01 PM 04-05-2013
You can also purchase additional pieces for more activities/learning games and they are on clearance now:

http://www.redleafpress.org/Clearanc...aspx?s=OrderBy ASC&p=1

I think it's on the second and third pages.
AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
This comes with the curriculum. It will mostly revolve around the "learning games" that it comes with (there are 68 of them) and the environment. The books help set up a developmentally appropriate learning environment, and helps you plan your activities for every day.
Marina, I have the previous edition and assuming the new edition is an update of the previous, it is NOT a curriculum like you're describing. It is about how to set up a learning environment and routines, but doesn't have lesson plans or themes. You can get a preview here: http://www.teachingstrategies.com/pa...child-care.cfm - click on the photo.

I also have the Infant/Toddler and Preschool books, and have attended one Creative Curriculum workshop. CC Infant/Toddler is mostly about environment, attachment, and caregiving routines. CC Preschool is basically a project approach. You can purchase their Study Starters to get you started on a project but you still have to do a lot of the planning. The Balls booklet is available free here: http://ocw.umb.edu/early-education-d...er%20Balls.pdf

After the workshop I spoke to the presenter and said that I'm not stupid but I'm just not getting how to do the whole project thing with my children. She asked how old they were - at the time they were 4 mos, 14 mos, 12 mos, 2 years, and 3 years. She said that the Study Starters and project approach are designed for preschool-age children, and that at my children's age it should all be about caregiving and routines.

I'd like to get the newest edition, but am not sure I want to pay $90 for it. I got my books for under $20 each on half.com, because they were the previous edition.
SunnyDay 05:10 AM 04-06-2013
Thanks for posting, I have an outdated version, I am excited to get the new one and the learning games set!
Reply Up