Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early Intervention
Sunchimes 06:10 PM 04-25-2013
I have a little one that seems to have several delays. We've been concerned for awhile, but the doctor wanted to wait a bit. We feel sure that he will recommend EI, and we are both more than ready. I told her that they would come here if they put him into the program and that was fine. I also promised that I would do anything I could to help. And I will, I love this baby and I've been concerned for a long time.

So, what can I expect? I know it depends on the issues, but just a general idea. Will they show me some exercises or activities that need done each day? Do I need to watch or participate in the sessions?

I've been asked to care for a 6 month old baby. I don't want to, but the daddy is a young man I've known since he was a kid, and since he found out about the baby, he's wanted me to keep him. I certainly can't take him if the IE thing takes up a lot of time.
NeedaVaca 05:56 AM 04-26-2013
It definitely depends on the issues and they type of therapy they recommend. I'm sure each state is different but for my state once they do the eval and find the need for services a plan will be written outlining the type of therapy and frequency. They will work with the parent to schedule the therapy and most likely will be at their house or if scheduling doesn't allow for that they can provide therapy at your house. It is usually 1 hour per week per service (PT,OT, ST) and the caregiver or parent has to be there during the therapy session. Whatever they work on will be shown to you so you can continue to work with him until the next session. The intent of the program is to show parents/providers what to do and the skills to help the child throughout the week. Again, depending on the issue you can incorporate the therapy into your daily activities pretty easily but you will need to be actively involved the the therapy session if it's held at your house. HTH
Sunchimes 10:36 AM 04-26-2013
It does help. Thank you. If he needs any special equipment-toys or something, am I allowed to ask the mom to pay for it or furnish it? Am I allowed to raise my rate to cover the extra work? I suspect that ADA doesn't allow that, and I'm not sure I would anyway.
NeedaVaca 11:02 AM 04-26-2013
If he needs any special equipment then yes, mom should pay for this. Without knowing details of the delay it's hard to say what would be needed. I can say speaking from experience with my DS and the PT he required we did not need to purchase anything for him. The therapists showed us ways to work with him using his surroundings. Oops-just remembered we did buy a yoga type balance ball for him! $12 so not a big purchase. They would have us hold him certain ways to get him to sit up using different muscles, showed us things we could do at the park with him etc...My DS also had OT-again, easy to practice different skills with him using typical things around the house! ST-easy to incorporate in daily life-We just changed the way we played to incorporate everything the therapist showed us each week. As far as $ I am not sure about ADA sorry.
AmyKidsCo 11:31 AM 04-26-2013
I'd encourage Mom & Dad to make sure they schedule some time with the therapist also, so you're not the only one following up on therapy in between visits. Best case scenario would be that you'd all be there together some of the time so you know you're all on the same page.
NeedaVaca 11:45 AM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'd encourage Mom & Dad to make sure they schedule some time with the therapist also, so you're not the only one following up on therapy in between visits. Best case scenario would be that you'd all be there together some of the time so you know you're all on the same page.
Absolutely! In my state it's a requirement that the parent attend a certain number of therapy sessions per month or they discontinue services. Parents HAVE to be involved. It is very important that the parents continue with the "homework" the therapist gives when they are home in the evenings and weekends. There are therapists that will schedule evening and weekend appointments too so it's possible for them to get services at their house rather than daycare. Another option is mom or dad take their lunch to come to your house for the therapy, that way they are doing it while you attend to the other children in your care (assuming the time won't conflict with your lunch/nap schedule).
Sunchimes 05:03 PM 04-26-2013
I won't have any problem with the time element I think. I have 2 days a week where my only kids are the baby and his sister, so it is easy to juggle naps and meals. The baby has given up naps anyway. He just finished a growth spurt where he slept all the time. Now he doesn't sleep at all. I'm praying for another growth spurt.

I'm not too concerned about mom and dad being involved. They are good that way. And I'm sort of pushy, so if I think she needs to know something, I'm not shy about telling her. I don't have a backbone for myself, but I have a steel one when it comes to the kids.
Cradle2crayons 05:48 PM 04-26-2013
My 18 month old special needs baby gets pt once a week and is currently on a waiting list for OT and will be starting speech therapy next week. I do pt with her every time she's here multiple times a day actually. She gets torticollis stretches with every diaper change, plus body ball exercises, etc etc. no extra equipment other than the body ball though.
Sunchimes 06:17 PM 04-26-2013
That's good to know. His issues aren't major I don't think, but he needs something. I've been doing everything I can think of, and it hasn't helped. I mentioned EI to mom a few months ago and she wanted to wait until his next doctor appointment. I think she is seeing the things that concerned me now.

She wants me involved and I'm just trying to get a grasp of what this is going to involve. I appreciate all of the information.
Cradle2crayons 06:20 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
That's good to know. His issues aren't major I don't think, but he needs something. I've been doing everything I can think of, and it hasn't helped. I mentioned EI to mom a few months ago and she wanted to wait until his next doctor appointment. I think she is seeing the things that concerned me now.

She wants me involved and I'm just trying to get a grasp of what this is going to involve. I appreciate all of the information.
Sounds to me you and mom is on the same page and right now, that is exactly heat should be happening. Unless its loads and loads of pt (like I'm doing right now lol) you should be good.
Cradle2crayons 06:24 PM 04-26-2013
Oh and I forgot to tell you, my special baby's wonderful mom video tapes her pt sessions and sends the video to me so I know EXACTLY what I'm supposed to be doing.. And that helps a LOT!!!!!!!!! Maybe mention that to mom??
Sunchimes 06:53 PM 04-26-2013
Oh, that's a great idea. Thank you!
Cradle2crayons 07:11 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Oh, that's a great idea. Thank you!
Your very welcome!! My special one just got discharged from the hospital today after a week and a half in the hospital following GI surgery and she comes back to me tomorrow and I'm so so excited. I've missed her very much!! She will start going to speech... They are going to try to figure out how to feed her after j tube feeds her entire life. But she doesn't have food aversions, the problem still remains that she aspirates on most things but I heard they have a list of approved items. Her swallow study today wasn't promising but I have hopes some day!!!
Sunchimes 08:23 PM 04-26-2013
Oh wow! You really do have a special one. Mine isn't anywhere near that. He has a speech delay and a few other things that seem delayed, but healthwise, he's a strapping, growing, healthy little boy, thank goodness.

I admire you for being able to do those things for her.
Cradle2crayons 08:55 PM 04-26-2013
Yes she is delayed in every area. She doesn't eat, doesn't crawl, doesn't walk. We are working with her on balance. She can sit awesome. But along with a heart defect and left torticollis, she also has severe reflux, has had reflux surgery, is on meds for stomach acid and for a high heart rate. But ill tell you this, she is the HAPPIEST baby you'd ever see. My husband adapted the regular baby walker for her and she chases kittens and kids everywhere. She's attached to j tube feelings 24/7 and has a backpack that's bigger than she is. She still wears most 3-6 month clothes, size 2 diapers, and size 2 shoe. She doesn't urinate good and I weigh all of her diapers to be sure her fluids are right. Since she is tube fed, she has several water stools and it has to be changed immediately. She loves it here, she loves my kitties the most, and she loves to go to softball games and outside to swing. Gosh I love her she is so precious!!!!
Tags:developmentally delayed, therapist
Reply Up