Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler prone to fevers
blandino 08:21 PM 05-06-2013
I have a 15 mo old DCG who spikes a fever every 3/4 weeks. It typically hits 102, with no other symptoms, and disappears.

No other DCK have been out sick the past 2 weeks, and her parents said they pretty much stayed home this past weekend. Just using today's fever as an example.

She does this almost monthly. Anytime they take her to a Dr. They diagnose a virus. It just happens so often and only lasts 1 day.

We had a now 4yo DCG, who frequently spiked fevers wih no other symptoms, when she was between 1-2. It seemed like she was always sick. Her pediatirican blames her being in DC, but she was coming down with fevers when no one else had been sick. This seems very similar to the 15 month old DCG I was talking about. Has anyone experienced this ?
youretooloud 10:07 PM 05-06-2013
Gosh, I don't know. But, I remember a kid that had seizures often. He was in a daycare center class with me. He would spike a high fever out of the blue, then he'd have a seizure, and then both the fever and the effects of the seizure would go away slowly. It wasn't a virus, just something that happened to him about once a month.

Sometimes, he'd spike a high fever, have no seizures, then it would go down within 30 minutes.

No idea why.
Meyou 04:20 AM 05-07-2013
One of my dd's had fevers like this and it turned out to be ear infections with no symptoms.
canadiancare 05:07 AM 05-07-2013
I call them phantom fevers. Their body is doing its job to fight something. If no other symptoms come out, then it worked.
e.j. 05:35 AM 05-07-2013
When my dd was maybe around 2 or 3, she went through a period of time where, every few months or so, she would spike a fever with no other symptoms. It would always start on a Wednesday, last a day or two and then be gone until the following Wednesday. This would go on for about a month or two at a time and then just stop - until the next round. Her pediatrician couldn't find any reason for the fevers and although it seemed odd to me, he said it's not that unusual. She eventually grew out of it.
Solandia 05:46 AM 05-07-2013
I have had that with several kids. It could be a virus. It could be the body reacting to allergies or an asthma flare. (allergies/asthma can cause inflammation...inflammation can cause a fever). My oldest would have low grade temps in the afternoon for several days before an ear infection would be noticable. So the body was fighting, but then failed.

I was a random fever type of kid, and spiked high....it was common for me to have a 104-105F fever. I have been an exceptionally illness-free as a child & as an adult.
proudarmywifewith4 05:47 AM 05-07-2013
I don't really post here, mostly lurk, but when my DD was young, about that age, she would get high fevers lasting 1-7 days with no other symptoms and they would occur every 4-6 weeks. I kept a log of the fevers and she was finally diagnosed with PFAPA. She was asymptomatic other than the fevers. There is no test, but the "cure" is removing the tonsils. We opted to have them removed when she was two and she's been healthy ever since!
Cradle2crayons 08:18 AM 05-07-2013
My daughter was like this... Fever then gone... Fever then gone.... No other symptoms... Of course since she had three sets of tubes and all kinds of other things and asthma it would puzzle us when we expected something else to happen and sometimes it just didn't.

Sounds to me like the pp said... Body is fighting something and winning...
sharlan 08:34 AM 05-07-2013
I had a dcg that would run high, really high, fevers every Sept for no reason. She did this from the time she was 1 mo. It happened again last year and she's almost 19. Her fevers would hit as high as 104*. Every year, Mom would rush her to the dr or ER and they would run blood tests and never did find a cause. The fevers would last for about 4 or 5 days, long enough to send the adults caring for her over the edge, then they would disappear, just as fast.
mema 11:34 AM 05-07-2013
Dd use to get fevers when she was younger too. Would hover around 101 for a day and then dissappear. No other symptoms. They would come every few months. Happened for about a year and dissappeared as fast as they came.
Reply Up