Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hackberry Trees & Bugs
blandino 05:46 PM 10-29-2013
Every fall we have a horrible amount of gnat like bugs on one side of our back yard. They are tiny black bugs, that are small enough to fit through a window screen and basically just congregate on window screens, siding, and our glass door. This year they are worse than ever before, and are all over the entrance to the daycare. Literally all over the door parents open to get to the daycare. It usually happens every Sept/Oct and then is over, but it stinks not being able to open your windows (because the bugs can fit through the screen) when the weather is beautiful.

So this year I did some research, and they are "hackberry psyllids". The only way to stop the infestation is by spraying your tree with xyz insecticide when it blooms in the spring. So too late for that. But I am desperate, it is gross, and is embarrassing to have bugs on your door when parents come in and out.

I read some possible solutions. Today I hosed off the side of the house, which said it will drown some - but they might come back tomorrow. It also said insecticide was a possibility - but it might not work. I will try and insecticide because I am desperate - today in an act of desperation I was spraying the door with bug spray.

Has anyone dealt with these ? Any successful way to keep them at bay ? Or any insecticide recommendations ?
countrymom 06:03 AM 10-30-2013
are they called box elder beetles. Sadly you can kill them with 2 options. Either cut down the tree (and any trees around you) or soaping them will kill them. I put soap with some water in a squirt bottle and it kills them.
Cradle2crayons 08:18 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
are they called box elder beetles. Sadly you can kill them with 2 options. Either cut down the tree (and any trees around you) or soaping them will kill them. I put soap with some water in a squirt bottle and it kills them.
I second the soapy water idea. Not as toxic either. If you get one of those things you can hook to your hose that you would put additives in... You can put some dish soap and water in there... And spray the tree and the windows etc. it leaves a little residue that seems to keep them from coming back as bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm he first one outside every morning killing every ant bed in sight with some powerful stuff called SURRENDER that you have to wear a mask for because it will knock. You. Down. If you inhale it.

But when it comes to bugs, I try the least toxic first.
Jack Sprat 11:54 AM 10-31-2013
We have them here as well. We call them pecker knats or democrats. Everyone has hackberry trees around here so they expect them and I guess accept them. They annoy me and the kids but, I refuse to cut down our tree. IDK, I think the parents would understand if you told them what they are from.
originalkat 12:38 PM 10-31-2013
Oh Geez, they are BAD this year. I did not even know what they were but they really are horrible.They stick to your clothes if you are outside too!! Thankfully the tree is far enough from the daycare door so the parents have not noticed. Thanks for posting this...I did not know where the gnats were coming from!!!!
Tags:bugs, hackberry tree, insects, trees
Reply Up