Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Advice: Own Child is Vomiting
spud912 07:11 AM 03-03-2014
So....I've always operated such that if my child becomes ill, I let the parents know and they make their own choice whether to bring their child (which they ALL do). This morning one dck is dropped off. Then my dd wakes up (she is 3 years old) and she apparently vomited a few times at night and didn't say anything. I cleaned her up and texted the parents that I will try my best to separate and wash hands. Then my last 3 parents dropped off. Only one mentioned she got the text but she is more than willing to keep her dd home.

I guess I assumed that last night was the end of it. Since then, she has vomited twice . Would you all call the parents to pick up? I can separate fine but she vomits in the same bathroom that everyone uses (or it's used to clean the bucket). I know from my prior job how easily viral gastrointestinal illnesses spread and that vomit aerosolizes so I know it's really likely to spread.

Wwyd?!
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
So....I've always operated such that if my child becomes ill, I let the parents know and they make their own choice whether to bring their child (which they ALL do). This morning one dck is dropped off. Then my dd wakes up (she is 3 years old) and she apparently vomited a few times at night and didn't say anything. I cleaned her up and texted the parents that I will try my best to separate and wash hands. Then my last 3 parents dropped off. Only one mentioned she got the text but she is more than willing to keep her dd home.

I guess I assumed that last night was the end of it. Since then, she has vomited twice . Would you all call the parents to pick up? I can separate fine but she vomits in the same bathroom that everyone uses (or it's used to clean the bucket). I know from my prior job how easily viral gastrointestinal illnesses spread and that vomit aerosolizes so I know it's really likely to spread.

Wwyd?!
Personally, I would send out a quick update text to all parents. Something like:

"Just an update about my DD's illness. I did think the worst was past us, but she is still throwing up. Although I do my best to keep DD separated from the others, if any of you have any concerns with contagiousness, please let me know. Thanks!"

That way you DID notify them and left the decision in their hands.
spud912 08:34 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, I would send out a quick update text to all parents. Something like:

"Just an update about my DD's illness. I did think the worst was past us, but she is still throwing up. Although I do my best to keep DD separated from the others, if any of you have any concerns with contagiousness, please let me know. Thanks!"

That way you DID notify them and left the decision in their hands.
Thanks! I sent that text. 2 of the 4 families are picking up. I really don't care either way but I just don't want a bunch of kids being sent tomorrow who are sick .
TwinKristi 09:56 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Thanks! I sent that text. 2 of the 4 families are picking up. I really don't care either way but I just don't want a bunch of kids being sent tomorrow who are sick .
Exactly and then they're mad at you when you send their kid home sick!
Unregistered 10:28 AM 03-03-2014
I think that text was good - different twist... when my own kid is sick, I close. I didn't use to but now I feel like he deserves my time and attention, which I cannot give him with a houseful of daycare babes. Whatever is right for you is right for you, just my 2 cents.
Rachel 08:49 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think that text was good - different twist... when my own kid is sick, I close. I didn't use to but now I feel like he deserves my time and attention, which I cannot give him with a houseful of daycare babes. Whatever is right for you is right for you, just my 2 cents.
I also do (or I get a sub to watch the daycare so I can really have the kids separate). I'm a well child daycare and that includes my own child.
Unregistered 10:04 AM 03-04-2014
I added something to my illness policy in my contract that said something along the lines of "If you choose for your child to remain in attendance upon notification that anyone living in the child care home is ill, please remember that it is AT YOUR OWN RISK. This means that if your child becomes ill due to exposure to any illness while in attendance, you may not bring your child into the child care home until they are fever/symptom free for at least 24 hours, EVEN IF PERSONS LIVING IN THE CHILD CARE HOME ARE STILL ILL."

In other words, parents think that if they choose to bring their child and YOUR child gets THEIR child sick, for some reason they assume it is ok to bring their child sick now since your child is or already was sick (and is likely the one that got them sick).

They need to understand that they cannot bring their sick child no matter what. I can't tell you how many times I had a hard time explaining this to parents. If you continue to have issues with it, I would consider making a new policy that if your young child is sick you will close to prevent exposure entirely.
Tags:illness, providers own child
Reply Up