Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow Cell Phones?
rebekki78 12:39 PM 05-22-2014
It is set up in my parent/provider handbook that children are not allowed to bring electronics into my home. I just don't wean to deal with it! I am very strict with my own children's electronics, I set time limits, I have to know all passwords, I check app/song downloads, and investigate Facebook pages often. I have a parent who's child is 12 and child has a cell that she wants to bring in. I thought maybe it would be ok, but after much thought I think I have changed my mind. I wrote her this note:

"After further thought and consideration, I would like you to know that I am going ahead and sticking to the policies laid out in my provider handbook. It states that children are not to being any electronics into our home. This includes cell phones, Kindles, iPod, Nintendo, etc. etc. I have very strict parental controls set on my children’s electronic devices; I look through their text messages and Facebook, the apps they download, and have full control over the time they use these. I also have the password to everything. I think it would just cause too many issues and too much hassle if I did not continue to abide by the rules set forth in my provider handbook. I am sure your daughter won’t understand, but it is in my policy handbook for a reason and I would like to stick with that. My step children don’t understand either, but they know what the rules are. I think it would just set up too much of a potential for problems & issues if I allowed this."

Does this sound straight forward enough? I wanted to get thoughts before officially sending it.
jenboo 01:16 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by rebekki78:
It is set up in my parent/provider handbook that children are not allowed to bring electronics into my home. I just don't wean to deal with it! I am very strict with my own children's electronics, I set time limits, I have to know all passwords, I check app/song downloads, and investigate Facebook pages often. I have a parent who's child is 12 and child has a cell that she wants to bring in. I thought maybe it would be ok, but after much thought I think I have changed my mind. I wrote her this note:

"After further thought and consideration, I would like you to know that I am going ahead and sticking to the policies laid out in my provider handbook. It states that children are not to being any electronics into our home. This includes cell phones, Kindles, iPod, Nintendo, etc. etc. I have very strict parental controls set on my children’s electronic devices; I look through their text messages and Facebook, the apps they download, and have full control over the time they use these. I also have the password to everything. I think it would just cause too many issues and too much hassle if I did not continue to abide by the rules set forth in my provider handbook. I am sure your daughter won’t understand, but it is in my policy handbook for a reason and I would like to stick with that. My step children don’t understand either, but they know what the rules are. I think it would just set up too much of a potential for problems & issues if I allowed this."

Does this sound straight forward enough? I wanted to get thoughts before officially sending it.
All you need is the bolded part. No need to explain. Just state your policy.
NightOwl 01:41 PM 05-22-2014
Ditto. And you could add that the dcg being the only one with an electronic device would be highly unfair to everyone else. Am I the only one wondering why a 12 year old needs daycare? My center went up to 12 also, but it was once in a blue moon that we actually had a 12 year old. And that 12 year old was VERY unhappy to be there. Just curious.
nannyde 01:47 PM 05-22-2014
Just say no. No recording devices in the child care.
rebekki78 02:34 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
All you need is the bolded part. No need to explain. Just state your policy.
Thank you. I do agree, I just over write everything and am an explainer! I appreciate the feedback.
rebekki78 02:36 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Ditto. And you could add that the dcg being the only one with an electronic device would be highly unfair to everyone else. Am I the only one wondering why a 12 year old needs daycare? My center went up to 12 also, but it was once in a blue moon that we actually had a 12 year old. And that 12 year old was VERY unhappy to be there. Just curious.
Her family works over a half hour away and aren't comfortable leaving her home alone for that long. And she has a sibling who is headed into 1st grade so they find it unfair to send one and not both.
NightOwl 09:31 PM 05-22-2014
Her family work over a half hour away and aren't comfortable leaving her home alone for that long. And she has a sibling who is headed into 1st grade so try find it unfair to send one and not both.
Ohhh I gotcha. That's understandable.
Second Home 04:47 AM 05-23-2014
2 of my sa kids have phones . They bring them but they stay in their backpacks .
bklsmum 05:08 AM 05-23-2014
I don't allow them to bring anything from home, ESPECIALLY electronics and cell phones would fall into that category.
Blackcat31 05:43 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I don't allow them to bring anything from home, ESPECIALLY electronics and cell phones would fall into that category.
This ^^

I don't allow ANYTHING from home either.
rebekki78 06:31 AM 05-23-2014
I sent what jenboo suggested. I also added what Wednesday suggested, that it would be highly unfair if she were the only one allowed. I have not heard back from the mom, which is unusual since she usually replies fairly quickly. Maybe she needs to talk it over with dad. Thanks for looking that over do me before I sent it out!
debbiedoeszip 07:05 AM 05-23-2014
Her family works over a half hour away and aren't comfortable leaving her home alone for that long. And she has a sibling who is headed into 1st grade so they find it unfair to send one and not both.
I would allow cell phones but they would have to stay in backpacks during daycare hours.

I sort of get not feeling comfortable with a 12 yo staying home alone during work hours all summer (some, especially 12yo who are "high needs", would be iffy on their own), but I don't get the "unfair" part of it. The kids are about 6 years apart in age. What happens when the older child wants to get her driver's license? Is she told no because little sister can't and it's "unfair"? I could see if they were much closer together in age (say a 10yo and a 12yo), but really there are going to be so many things that are completely age appropriate for the 12yo and nowhere near age appropriate for the younger sibling. I'm wondering if these parents should be getting a grip.
Crazy8 07:36 AM 05-23-2014
As the parent of a tween I would expect them to be allowed to have their phone with them - shut off in their backpack. Not allowed to be used at school or daycare or anywhere other than in the event of an emergency.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
As the parent of a tween I would expect them to be allowed to have their phone with them - shut off in their backpack. Not allowed to be used at school or daycare or anywhere other than in the event of an emergency.
But if they are at daycare under the supervision of an adult, who do they need to call in an emergency?

The provider will call if there is an emergency.
NightOwl 08:06 AM 05-23-2014
IMHO, if a child is old enough to have a cell, then they're old enough to stay home for half an hour alone.
Crazy8 08:18 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
But if they are at daycare under the supervision of an adult, who do they need to call in an emergency?

The provider will call if there is an emergency.
I am thinking more of the time before getting to the provider's home… many stories about kids getting dropped off at wrong street, or being left on the bus, or not being picked up at all, etc. etc. I just want them to have that phone in their bag just in case - its the reason they have one in the first place. And you just never know even at a daycare - if my power is out my house phone will not work. If something happened to the provider I would like my child to be able to go to their bag and grab a phone.
Blackcat31 09:49 AM 05-23-2014
I am thinking more of the time before getting to the provider's home… many stories about kids getting dropped off at wrong street, or being left on the bus, or not being picked up at all, etc. etc. I just want them to have that phone in their bag just in case - its the reason they have one in the first place. And you just never know even at a daycare - if my power is out my house phone will not work. If something happened to the provider I would like my child to be able to go to their bag and grab a phone.
Oh okay...gotcha! I can see the need for a cell in that case for sure!

I used to open at 6:00 a.m. I got to work one day and found a child sitting on the steps. She was SA but still....

Mom dropped her off early (before I opened) because she had a meeting AT 6:00. She wasn't even scheduled that day...

I addressed the issue with mom so it never happened again but still I could see how having a cell could have been beneficial in that instance.

What if I hadn't planned on opening that day or I had an accident or delay on my way in and didn't arrive shortly after?!

I don't take SA'ers anymore anyways but I still can see the point of having a cell if the child gets themselves to and from the daycare on their own.
craftymissbeth 09:55 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
IMHO, if a child is old enough to have a cell, then they're old enough to stay home for half an hour alone.
My 7 yo ds has a phone because he walks to and from school now. He calls me before and after school and we talk all the way until he gets to the house/school.

Even though I trust him to walk to and from school (it's 4 blocks straight to the school) I still have a hard time leaving him home alone. I'm not sure why.
jenboo 10:11 AM 05-23-2014
I dont see why this would be a problem...i was thinking more along the lines of having the phone out during daycare hours, going on the internet, playing games etc.
Maybe we need more clarity
rebekki78 10:50 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I dont see why this would be a problem...i was thinking more along the lines of having the phone out during daycare hours, going on the internet, playing games etc.
Maybe we need more clarity
This was my thinking. Internet more specifically. I don't want to be put at blame for "so & so put this online while they were at your house". It's just not a battle I am willing to potentially get placed in the middle of.
Tags:cell phone policy, cell phones
Reply Up