Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Employee with Childcare Needs
Unregistered 07:28 AM 12-19-2016
Hello all, it has been a while since I've posted -- there's been quite a lot happening around here, including that I will be stepping up my small home daycare into a Family Child Care Facility! (I am registered as ChelsB, but my login doesn't seem to want to be working, yay! Lol)

Anyway, I've been hammering out details to hopefully make the transition this spring/summer. The one thing I'm uncertain about is how do you handle pay for an employee who also will require some childcare within your facility? Obviously it's an issue of the child using one of my few slots, so I can't really offer it as a benefit, but I don't know about deducting the full cost of a spot from the employee's paycheck....I'm not sure that it would almost make it worthwhile for the person I hope to hire. So my question is, how do you handle this situation in your daycare?
jenboo 08:02 AM 12-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello all, it has been a while since I've posted -- there's been quite a lot happening around here, including that I will be stepping up my small home daycare into a Family Child Care Facility! (I am registered as ChelsB, but my login doesn't seem to want to be working, yay! Lol)

Anyway, I've been hammering out details to hopefully make the transition this spring/summer. The one thing I'm uncertain about is how do you handle pay for an employee who also will require some childcare within your facility? Obviously it's an issue of the child using one of my few slots, so I can't really offer it as a benefit, but I don't know about deducting the full cost of a spot from the employee's paycheck....I'm not sure that it would almost make it worthwhile for the person I hope to hire. So my question is, how do you handle this situation in your daycare?
When i was an employee, I've been offered completely free childcare, $.50 deduction per hr from my paycheck and 1/2 off once they were out of the infant room.
Leigh 08:07 AM 12-19-2016

You could offer the spot to your employee at your cost (What you spend on caring for the child).
Unregistered 08:20 AM 12-19-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
When i was an employee, I've been offered completely free childcare, $.50 deduction per hr from my paycheck and 1/2 off once they were out of the infant room.
I think you're right, this seems like it would be easiest and fairest for everyone involved! Thank you!
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 12-19-2016

I sent you a password reminder so hopefully you can log in...

As for the employee, I would keep pay roll and tuition completely separate.

I would pay the employee as if she did not have a child or any discounts for child care (if one is given) and I would have her pay her tuition just like any other parent would pay for their child....whatever amount you decide is what she owes.

Whether you give her a discount or not is up to you.

Personally, if I were paying an employee a regular wage, I would not discount the child care. Being able to have your child enrolled in the place you work would be benefit enough in my opinion. Otherwise if it "costs" you money (discounted fees) why would you hire that person?
Ariana 09:09 AM 12-19-2016
The centre I used to work at did not offer discounts for employees at all. We also got put on a waitlist like everyone else!

I would keep both completely seperate and if you want, offer a discount for tuition but treat it seperately. Do not deduct payments, s/he has to physically pay you like your other clients. Even a 5-10% discount is good enough, especially since s/he can have her kid at her/his own centre.
JackandJill 10:11 AM 12-19-2016
I just interviewed at a center, and asked how it would work if I enrolled my boys.

I would get my paycheck, in full, for time worked. Tuition payment was completely separate through their online portal, like any other parent. The only discount was their sibling discount, which was available to all enrolled families. They did not offer an employee discount.

Hope that helps! Congrats on the new business
jayewash 01:44 PM 01-02-2017
Jennboo I meant to say thanks!!! I liked your suggestions and you helped me a lot!
Cat Herder 01:52 PM 01-02-2017
So my question is, how do you handle this situation in your daycare?
From experience, I would prefer to hire someone who does not want to enroll their child in my program. I don't like the divided attention and favoritism aspects.

I am no longer considering expanding for this very reason.
DaveA 04:15 AM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
From experience, I would prefer to hire someone who does not want to enroll their child in my program. I don't like the divided attention and favoritism aspects.

I am no longer considering expanding for this very reason.
When I worked in centers I had my children in different care (a home daycare ran by a friend) just to avoid those situations.
Tags:assistant - job description
Reply Up