Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help with Drop-In Care
TXhomedaycare 07:57 AM 07-06-2016
My son is going to kindergarten in the fall and I figured I would open his spot up for part-time care (he is my only SA kid). Now that I have had a chance to think about it he will be home for school holidays (I am open for most of them), potential sick days and now I am second guessing part-time care and thinking drop in care would be best since I cannot always predict when the spot will be available. My question is how does drop in care work in this case? Is my contract going to stay the same for this spot? Is having a different child dropped in going to be an issue with my full time group? Just trying to figure this thing out so I can bring in a little extra money but drop in makes me nervous (I like things to be predictable ). Thanks
Controlled Chaos 08:05 AM 07-06-2016
I love drop in care. I charge much more for drop in. My drop in families all have all the regular licensing forms on file (admission, medical release, vaccination records, contract etc). The only difference to the contract from a regular spot is that there is no guarantee for days availalbe and that they have to right to accept or decline offered days. I send out weekly emails to drop in families with the days I am offering. It is first come first serve. Payment is due at drop off. If a family no shows they are taken off the list, I haven't had a problem with that.

My group is normally 9-10 kids. the drop in kids have meshed well with my crew and I think create a nice change of pace.

I am currently trying to up my drop in families (I lost a few to life changes) so I am specifically advertising for drop ins. Stay at home parents and occasionally friends of current families are good matches.
KSDC 11:26 AM 07-06-2016
In my state, school age children are in a different category on the ratios chart. We have a max # we can keep in each age range. So, having my own SA child doesn't affect how many children under 5 I can have in care.
Any chance that your state is similar?
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 07-06-2016
I've always avoided drop in because of the paperwork involved but Chaos has me rethinking things.

In WI SA can only be in care up to 3 hours a day, any longer than that and they're counted in with the two-and-over group for ratios.
TXhomedaycare 10:00 AM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by KSDC:
In my state, school age children are in a different category on the ratios chart. We have a max # we can keep in each age range. So, having my own SA child doesn't affect how many children under 5 I can have in care.
Any chance that your state is similar?
lol thanks I just reread my reg book and you are right. I will just add a full-time spot. My son will be my first SA kid so I really hadn't paid attention to it until now.
Pestle 12:09 PM 07-09-2016
In TN, my own child doesn't even count toward the number of children I'm allowed to keep. Kids over 9 also don't count.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:13 AM 07-11-2016
Hey there! I actually have a separate "Drop-In/Back-Up" care contract. If you think it might be useful, send me a PM with your email. I would love to share it with you.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up