Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Peanut Butter Free Program
Sunchimes 05:49 AM 12-11-2011
I was wondering how many of you use peanut butter in your program? I thought that not allowing PB was the standard for schools now. I know that a lot of places won't allow kids to bring it to school. But, all of the recommended menus I see include it.

I have to have a PB free house because one of my dcks is highly allergic (oh, the sacrifices I make for the kids--I love PB!). I can't even serve anything that says it was made in a factory that processed peanut butter.

Just curious how widespread this is among dc.
Yhadi86 12:33 PM 12-11-2011
I have never worked at a center that allowed peanut butter or any other kind of nut. And, yes, it is a huge sacrifice because I love peanut butter. When I open my home based center, I will not allow it. I think that is going to be very attractive to parents who have children with allergies (even if its not to nuts) and with special dietary restrictions. I believe it shows that you are conscious of what you're giving the kids and sensitive to an individual's needs.

Peanut butter is a great source of protein, and kids love it. That's why its in so many recipes. But you and the kids can easily get protein from beans and meat and other foods. Soy based peanut butter is also a great alternative. Try sun butter. Ive never tasted it, but the kids that have brought sun butter and jelly sandwiches to school tell me its good. Im also not sure if soy based nuts are a good source of soy protein, but im pretty sure the are
Unregistered 01:03 PM 12-11-2011
I allow peanut butter in my home, use it regularly and will not go peanut free (or any other food) for a daycare child.
AnneCordelia 01:15 PM 12-11-2011
I have a home-based daycare. I also use peanut butter regularly. It is inexpensive, good protien, good nutrition so I can't justify cutting it out of our lives. The way I see it, if I am going nut-free then it has to be 100% all the time. I can't commit to that. It's too good a nutrition source for my own 4 kids, and my other daycare children for me to consider it for potentially just one child. I am not a nut-free facility.

I am conscientous of what I serve though. I have a vegetarian daycare child here and will make accomodations for him, but his meat-less diet doesn't prevent me from keeping meat in my home, kwim?
Sunchimes 03:58 PM 12-11-2011
I think if I had a lot of kids, I might have to rethink it. But, I just have 3, and they aren't really old enough for PB sandwiches yet. I just wondered how widespread it was.

Thanks!
caring4kidsinSD 04:39 PM 12-11-2011
I have 1 boy allergic to PB so I just don't serve PB sandwiches and snacks on the days when he is here(he is only here 1 day a week - phew) But we have it other days.
1vs7omg 05:04 PM 12-11-2011
I don't have any kids yet but my daycare is peanut free. I have it in my policy, website and business cards. My grandson whom I have custody of is highly allergic to peanuts so therefore no one can bring any foods into the house.

A word of caution; his doctor told me that legumes are a cousin to nuts, so beware. He said some get a reaction to it and some don't. I haven't given any legumes to my 3yr old grandson because I really don't want to use the epi pen!
WImom 05:09 PM 12-11-2011
I have one peanut allergy and one tree nut allergy here. I use Soynut butter for everything that calls for peanut butter. The kids love that stuff. It's a little pricey at $4.00 a jar but I love that we can still make peanut butter food items.
Sunchimes 06:30 PM 12-11-2011
I'll look for soynut butter. We live in a pretty small town and it doesn't sound like something WM would carry. But, it would be a good substitute.

1vs7omg (love that name), thanks for the info on legumes. She came to me allergic to peanuts (she's already been to the ER once since I've had her--not at my house, but from home), milk, and eggs. She is on soy milk, but she seems to have outgrown the egg problems in their tests. I've fed her black beans, black eyed peas, and pintos with no problems, so I guess she's one of the lucky ones.
Meyou 03:48 AM 12-12-2011
We use soynut butter for my kids for school but we're a peanut home. I make many, many allowances for DCK's and can accommodate many things but going peanut free would affect my home. We love our PB and nuts. I really feel that if you are a peanut free DC you would have to be a peanut free home and I'm not prepared to do that.
laundrymom 05:15 AM 12-12-2011
We serve Pb here as well. And my own kids and I love it, my dh loves it. If I were to cut it out it would impact my families life and I'm not cutting it.
Meyou 05:20 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
We serve Pb here as well. And my own kids and I love it, my dh loves it. If I were to cut it out it would impact my families life and I'm not cutting it.
I'm pretty sure I would starve. I eat alot of PB and J on the fly while working.
Crazy8 07:09 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I allow peanut butter in my home, use it regularly and will not go peanut free (or any other food) for a daycare child.
same here.

Our schools also all allow PB... they just are not allowed to have it in the classrooms if there is a child in that room with an allergy and the cafeterias have "peanut free" tables.
SilverSabre25 07:20 AM 12-12-2011
You could tree sunflower seed butter, or "sunbutter" as it is often called. Low allergen and pretty good once you get used to the taste!
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 12-12-2011
I know nothing about peanut allegies but I am curious, are people who are allergic to peanuts allergic to ALL nuts or just peanuts?

I switched to using almond butter not too long ago and it is great, I think it might be healthier than peanut butter but am not positive.
bice99 07:39 AM 12-12-2011
My own girls love PB, so yes, it's in our house. But I never serve it to DC kids because the serving size is huge. Basically if you make PB sandwiches, the kids have to eat another protein as well.
BigMama 07:56 AM 12-12-2011
I have one DCB that is highly allergic to peanuts so we went peanut-free. I serve sunflower butter as an alternative. The little ones don't notice any difference and the school-agers like it as much, if not more than, regular peanut butter.
BigMama 08:02 AM 12-12-2011
Also, my own kids eat peanut butter during non-daycare hours. The DCB has his own set of dishes and silverware that no one else is allowed to use. When we use peanut butter, we use a plastic knife so it can be immediately disposed of. We also have separate jelly jars to avoid cross-contamination (I use a squeezable jelly for daycare so no one is tempted to put a knife in it). Any peanut butter messes are immediately cleaned with bleach.
MsMe 11:26 AM 12-12-2011
We are PB free.

My little brother (14 and WAY out of daycare age) is allergic and my whole family had to cut it out when we learned of his allergy 13 years ago.

We had a daycare family find out their 3yr had a pb allergy last year and it was a huge relief to the family that they child would be safe with me and they would not have to switch daycares. On a personal note I am very happy that I am PB free so I was not the one who served the PB to the child and found out his allergy.
kidkair 03:06 PM 12-12-2011
I serve PB but never first. Peanuts, strawberries, wheat, and citrus are all things I have the parents serve at home and let me know if they can/cannot eat them. I currently serve gluten, corn, pork, and juice free meals and am willing to handle any child's food issues so long as the kid fits in here personality wise.
kayla 03:14 PM 12-12-2011
I use peanut butter often. I have never had a daycare child with allergies, but i also dont think i would quit using it here. Also i had never ever heard of a school not using peanut butter. In fact when i lived in ca the lunch ladies would give out pb j for kids who didnt have lunch money, And i know they serve it here in ND...
littlemissmuffet 03:18 PM 12-12-2011
I love peanut butter, so does my hubs and all the kiddos. Unfortunately, I would not be willing to take a child with severe allergies to nuts - it's a staple in our home we aren't willing to give up, and obviously there are providers out there who DO provide nut-free homes so I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Hunni Bee 04:12 PM 12-12-2011
We run a completely nut-free program, as long as we have a child enrolled who has a peanut allergy.

Otherwise, we serve peanut butter very occasionally (like 2 or 3 times a year), but mostly we're nut free. Which limits our snack menu significantly (cuts out a lot of muffins, granola, sandwiches, etc).

They say its because nut allergies are hard to identify, and a child may have one without the parent knowing.
MsMe 10:57 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I love peanut butter, so does my hubs and all the kiddos. Unfortunately, I would not be willing to take a child with severe allergies to nuts - it's a staple in our home we aren't willing to give up, and obviously there are providers out there who DO provide nut-free homes so I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Yep...plenty of providers to go around!! I would even understand a family NOT picking me because we ARE PB free. There is a perfect fit for each family
Tags:food, peanut butter allergy
Reply Up