Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP and Wipes?!?
jenny31052 09:12 PM 05-01-2012
I do not provide diapers and wipes - I prefer parents to provide what they like better... and I have never had issues with it..

I send a text message, or tell at pick-up if I need supplies. No one ever complained.
By regulation I cannot use a single wipe more than once: it's one wipe, one swipe, and yes, this way we go through tons of them.

Today I sent a text to a new DCM asking to bring wipes tomorrow: she replied saying that I must be using them with someone else because she just gave me (3 weeks ago) a new (it was already opened) pack of wipes that should have last a month

This child poops a lot (2 years old), sometimes even 3-4 times in 6-7 hours, and it is VERY messy...

When I interview a new family, I make clear that I will need lots of wipes...

I don't know...I was just left speechless for a minute, it took me a while to be able to formulate a reply
littlemissmuffet 09:22 PM 05-01-2012
What was your reply???

I would just tell her "Okay, well I am going to start supplying wipes - at a cost of $2.00/day... I'll just tack that extra $10 on to your weekly fee! See you tomorrow!"
jenny31052 09:45 PM 05-01-2012
I reminded her about our diaper changing process, and I pointed out to her that 3 weeks have passed since last time she brought wipes, and that I use a few more than usual because her kid poops constantly, and he is messy...

She replied saying that she will bring some tomorrow - we shall see how that goes...

I thought about the extra fee for wipes... I may do it if it happens again...
Texasjeepgirl 03:49 AM 05-02-2012
I've always required parents to supply diapers and wipes...
I put a note on the dry erase board or send a text or email saying that all children NOT YET POTTY TRAINED need to bring a refill pack of wipes...I have never attempted to use a specific childs wipes on that child.. I have a container for wipes...I put the refill in... when I get to the last refill pack..I post another message...
I do currently have 1 child who has an allergy to wipes...the mother requested I use wet paper towels...and she supplies them... I keep her roll seperate from the roll for washing hands...and it's actually no big deal... I take a few paper towels...wet them lightly in the sink...and go...
Now that my own granddaughter has been in my daycare... I have started buying refill packs of wipes for her...and rarely ask for refills from the other diaper parents...but... I really haven't felt it's been a huge issue so far...But I certainly can identify with some kids having more poopy diapers in daycare than others...I have a 16 month old little boy...HAVE MERCY.... there are days it is 5, 6 and even 7 diapers... but ... a 20 month old that NEVER has a poopy diaper here... the mother says it's an at home routine...

DCMom 04:33 AM 05-02-2012
I supply wipes because I use them for many things and I prefer a specific brand. I would write the name and date on them right in front of her. If she questions again, show her the container. I personally would just have everyone bring a refill pack a month or something like that.

I'm still stuck on how you have a regulation on how to use wipes...
SilverSabre25 06:07 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I supply wipes because I use them for many things and I prefer a specific brand. I would write the name and date on them right in front of her. If she questions again, show her the container. I personally would just have everyone bring a refill pack a month or something like that.

I'm still stuck on how you have a regulation on how to use wipes...
Yep, this.

I'm also stuck on the regulation for wiping...smh...
boysx5 06:32 AM 05-02-2012
Thats why I supply them this way I always have them.
Lianne 06:36 AM 05-02-2012
I'm going to don my flame suit and ask this question....

I often see people comment on regulations for licensing that make our jobs harder. Regulations that seem fine in a perfect world but in reality, really do not work and I often wonder why people don't just do what works for them and just tell licensing that they complied? Obviously if you're being inspected at that moment, you do it according to the rules but otherwise, why make life harder for yourself? Of course, I don't mean important rules like ratios, safety concerns, etc.

This wipe rule is a perfect example. You're only supposed to use one wipe per swipe? What a pain in the arse and what a waste of wipes. Unless licensing is standing there watching you change a diaper, why not just use the wipes as normal? It's not like it's really going to hurt a child to have a wipe used for three swipes instead of one and no one will ever know the difference.

The length of time spent outdoors is another one. Yes, it's important to be outside everyday and I understand why licensing requires it. But, in freezing cold or scorching hot temps, why not just say you were out when you weren't? I know most licensing rules determine a temperature that's safe and a length of time to be outside for but if those regulations don't work for your group at the moment, why bother? I know that the temps some of you are expected to take the kids out in are not realistic when dealing with 4 or 5 or more little kids, whether some licensing rule says you should or not so why not do what's best for your group at the moment and licensing will never know?

I'm not suggesting you ignore all the rules or ignore a (or many) rules all the time but why not occasionally when it would benefit the children, your program and you to do things differently some times?
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 05-02-2012
I don't mean this rudely but are you sure the licensing rules actually say that or is it being interpreted that way?

I mean unless they are some how reimbursing the parents for this rediculous rule, I am not understanding how this can be a regulation if the parent is the one paying for the wipes.

We have some pretty strict rules about infant sleep postions, however we can have a parent sign a statement allowing them to direct us on how thier child is put to sleep. It releases us from any liability if somehting were to happen.

Now I haven't actually ever had a parent use one of these forms but in your situation, I would perhaps have the parent fill out some sort of agreement saying you ahve their permission to wipe the child using however meany wipes and in whatever manner the parents direct you to use/do.

Just a thought since as a parent I would be kind of upset about this silly rule.
MarinaVanessa 07:53 AM 05-02-2012
I know that I use wipes a lot for each child but I hardly ever use more than 3 wipes per diaper change (and that's a lot). I do however also use the child's wipes to wipe their noses and faces and because of that reason I go through their wipes a little more quickly than is normal. I explain this of course so the parents already know.

I'm sure that you probably do the same at least from time to time. If you do use wipes for reasons other than to wipe the child's bum I'd let her know too. Using wipes IMO is easier and less harsh that actual tissue when used to wipe little faces and won't leave the redness or rawness KWIM? That's one more reason to use the wipes more quickly and you can always explain that too her too (if you use them like this too)
Childminder 08:27 AM 05-02-2012
I supply everything except diapers cause I want to be certain I get the ones that work the best and storage or remembering is never a problem. Sometimes the parent constantly forgets or buys the cheapest product out there and I know that better is bought for home (especially diapers) cause the kid arrives in the morning with the "good" ones on. Some providers even supply diapers but I don't get out enough of have enough storage.

Originally Posted by :
I do currently have 1 child who has an allergy to wipes...the mother requested I use wet paper towels...and she supplies them... I keep her roll seperate from the roll for washing hands...and it's actually no big deal... I take a few paper towels...wet them lightly in the sink...and go..
I have had children that have had needed this in the past and I found that if I cut a roll of paper towel in 1/2, remove the cardboard tube and place it in a container with a slip off lid, like a coffee can but plastic, fill it with soapy water I have the perfect wipes for them. They pull from the center just like clorox wipes or the like and the Brawny or Bounty or better ones work the best.
Ariana 09:21 AM 05-02-2012
I don't have any advice but this seems like the most ridiculous thing for a parent to complain about!!
My3cents 09:50 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I've always required parents to supply diapers and wipes...
I put a note on the dry erase board or send a text or email saying that all children NOT YET POTTY TRAINED need to bring a refill pack of wipes...I have never attempted to use a specific childs wipes on that child.. I have a container for wipes...I put the refill in... when I get to the last refill pack..I post another message...
I do currently have 1 child who has an allergy to wipes...the mother requested I use wet paper towels...and she supplies them... I keep her roll seperate from the roll for washing hands...and it's actually no big deal... I take a few paper towels...wet them lightly in the sink...and go...
Now that my own granddaughter has been in my daycare... I have started buying refill packs of wipes for her...and rarely ask for refills from the other diaper parents...but... I really haven't felt it's been a huge issue so far...But I certainly can identify with some kids having more poopy diapers in daycare than others...I have a 16 month old little boy...HAVE MERCY.... there are days it is 5, 6 and even 7 diapers... but ... a 20 month old that NEVER has a poopy diaper here... the mother says it's an at home routine...
I do the same thing- I ask full time parents to bring in one refill a week, part time one refill every other week. I store them all together and I put them in four containers convenient to me(diaper changing area, play area, kitchen and bathroom) in my daycare to use when needed. I tell them I use them for everything and I do. I don't worry if I use ten wipes or one for a child. I also ask the parents to not buy cheap wipes that I will poke my finger through, that is just gross. Here is the kicker---- I also buy wipes each month. I pick up a big box at target. When they forget, I just remind them in my monthly newsletter. They are all Great about supplying wipes- If it became a problem, I would add on a fee and just get them myself each month. If a child needs something special because of sensitivity or what not- parents preference, I go with that and they supply them. When my kiddo's were little and money was tight, I made my own. Now its my luxury item. It makes my job so much easier having what I need to do it well. My one little thing-

In answer to the question of why don't we just do what we want, the one swipe per wipe. I would like to know what state and where that rule is written? I think most providers do. Same with going outside. Common sense for most. but...... the rules are in place for those that don't have common sense, and trust me their are a lot of providers out there that do not have this. You see it in the newspaper and all over the news all the time. Sad.
kimsdaycare 09:51 AM 05-02-2012
For those questioning whether this is a rule or interpretation of the rule, I can vouch for yes...actual rule. At least in my area. I remember during training we had to allow that wipe just ONE touch to the toosh. No folding, reversing, double tapping, etc.

The trainer said it was a fairly new requirement and kept repeating, "I know this is stupid and wasteful..but... when inspected, don't forget to use each wipe for just one swipe". LOL, she was giving us the not so subtle hint of what she thought of it herself. Even licensors don't always agree with everything I guess.

You can also cut wipes in half and put them in a flushables container, so each swipe is on a piece only as big as necessary, equalling less waste. Unless you have a rule about the dimensions required for your wipes too

Just wanted to let you know OP isn't nuts. The state is lol.
Crazy8 09:55 AM 05-02-2012
I have to agree with some of the above that it really is a waste of wipes. Curious what state you are in to have that rule - I have never heard such a thing and I honestly don't think I'd be following it unless someone was right there watching me.

But, if you are adament about only using 1 wipe per swipe then I would just one day add up exactly how many wipes you use for this child and when she brings in a pack of 120 or 180 or whatever calculate how many days that should last. I'm guessing its less days than she expects!

I know even when my DD was in daycare I felt like they went thru diapers so fast. The pack seemed so big - but dividing it out knowing approx. how many they used a day helped it to make sense.

Also, I started supplying wipes a few years ago for this reason. I'd rather use the brand I like, not the brand parents like since I'm the one doing the wiping. I also don't want to feel like I can't use one to wipe a nose or hands or even the table, etc. because that is "wasting" a particular childs wipes.
JennyBear 10:17 AM 05-02-2012
One wipe with one swipe does seem like such a waste, especially with a poopy bum!

One DCG I have often poops 3-4 times a day and it's usually somewhat loose and large! (always been that way) I can just imagine having this rule....her mom and dad would have to remortgage their home in order to supply all the wipes I would need! LOL
kimsdaycare 10:32 AM 05-02-2012
I do not know what state the OP is in, but I am in New York.

For the life of me I cannot find the "one wipe" verbage in the regs, but it was made very clear in the training that this was what was expected. I believe it was written in a handout I had as well. Maybe it was interpreted that way by our local agency, but considering the trainer didn't even like the rule, it seems it must have come from somewhere higher up in the food chain or they wouldnt be bothering with it.
dEHmom 11:06 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I'm going to don my flame suit and ask this question....

I often see people comment on regulations for licensing that make our jobs harder. Regulations that seem fine in a perfect world but in reality, really do not work and I often wonder why people don't just do what works for them and just tell licensing that they complied? Obviously if you're being inspected at that moment, you do it according to the rules but otherwise, why make life harder for yourself? Of course, I don't mean important rules like ratios, safety concerns, etc.

This wipe rule is a perfect example. You're only supposed to use one wipe per swipe? What a pain in the arse and what a waste of wipes. Unless licensing is standing there watching you change a diaper, why not just use the wipes as normal? It's not like it's really going to hurt a child to have a wipe used for three swipes instead of one and no one will ever know the difference.

The length of time spent outdoors is another one. Yes, it's important to be outside everyday and I understand why licensing requires it. But, in freezing cold or scorching hot temps, why not just say you were out when you weren't? I know most licensing rules determine a temperature that's safe and a length of time to be outside for but if those regulations don't work for your group at the moment, why bother? I know that the temps some of you are expected to take the kids out in are not realistic when dealing with 4 or 5 or more little kids, whether some licensing rule says you should or not so why not do what's best for your group at the moment and licensing will never know?

I'm not suggesting you ignore all the rules or ignore a (or many) rules all the time but why not occasionally when it would benefit the children, your program and you to do things differently some times?
I agree with this. I watch moms change their children's bums with 4 or 5 wipes because they bunch them up and swipe then take a new one. I myself know that I could've cleaned that particular bum with 1-2 wipes. I lay them flat and swipe with some pressure and it's usually clean, then i fold the wipe and pick up any missed spots. IF it's a little messier or stickier than usual, I'll take another 1 or 2 wipes (I make sure child is clean completely of course).

As for the outside rules and regs, i agree. When you have infants learning to walk, they can't walk in the snow, and they get cold sitting in the snow even with snowsuits on. For the older kids they can run around and stay warm. The little ones who aren't walking yet want to crawl in the snow and mits fall off, boots fall off etc. I honestly HATE winter and if it's cold enough to freeze my nostrils shut, i will not go outside. in the summer we are outside a lot, but I have to stay under the shade of my willow tree. Otherwise I get very ill. If it's humid out, we don't go out, or we play in the sprinkler. If licensing told me I couldn't use a sprinkler, I'd tell them I'll close down then. That usually shuts them up There are certain things licensors can over look. Mostly if they are "guidelines" and nothing that is illegal or an actual safety concern.

As for the mom OP, I'd just tell her she needs to send more than 1 package if she is concerned about replacing them too often. She can send 3 or 4 or a case at a time, then you'll only need to let her know 1 or 2 times a year
MarinaVanessa 11:14 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I do not know what state the OP is in, but I am in New York.

For the life of me I cannot find the "one wipe" verbage in the regs, but it was made very clear in the training that this was what was expected. I believe it was written in a handout I had as well. Maybe it was interpreted that way by our local agency, but considering the trainer didn't even like the rule, it seems it must have come from somewhere higher up in the food chain or they wouldnt be bothering with it.
Just going off on what Kim said here ... I think you should really be clear as to who is facilitating your orientations and trainings. Sometimes Licensing may use other people (such as those working for a resource and referral agency) to conduct these trainings and these people will add their own 2 cents worth.

For example, I called my Licensing office to ask about a question about the bleach/water solution that we were required to use to disinfect our equipment and toys and I was told that it wasn't a licensing requirement at all but that it was our local resource and referral agency's "thing". I mentioned that I specifically remembered being told that it was a requirement during my orientation before becoming licensed and she said "Yes, our orientations are sometimes conducted by (our local resourse and referral agency)"

So when in doubt, just call (or better yet email) your rep and ask them. Then ask for the answer in writing and ask them for referance as to that exact regulation.
kimsdaycare 11:58 AM 05-02-2012
In my case this was a local licensing rep that was now handling trainings in our resource and referral office. All the reps I've had went to her with regulation questions but I have no idea who she went to if she didn't have the answer. I've never had licensing give me a hard time about anything, so I've never had to find that out. Most are previous providers, so they have a great deal of common sense and don't push the stupid stuff. It was just funny that she was training for something she didnt agree with, but felt it was valid enough that she *had* to kwim? That's the reason why it has stuck with me so long!
My3cents 12:00 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have to agree with some of the above that it really is a waste of wipes. Curious what state you are in to have that rule - I have never heard such a thing and I honestly don't think I'd be following it unless someone was right there watching me.

But, if you are adament about only using 1 wipe per swipe then I would just one day add up exactly how many wipes you use for this child and when she brings in a pack of 120 or 180 or whatever calculate how many days that should last. I'm guessing its less days than she expects!

I know even when my DD was in daycare I felt like they went thru diapers so fast. The pack seemed so big - but dividing it out knowing approx. how many they used a day helped it to make sense.

Also, I started supplying wipes a few years ago for this reason. I'd rather use the brand I like, not the brand parents like since I'm the one doing the wiping. I also don't want to feel like I can't use one to wipe a nose or hands or even the table, etc. because that is "wasting" a particular childs wipes.

This is why I tell my parents it is a community item- used on everyone for everything and I buy them too!!! They know they see the box sitting there at the begining of the month or whenever I get to Target.
dEHmom 12:04 PM 05-02-2012
My parents supply the wipes, and it's community as well, unless one child has particular wipes. 99% of my dcks come with costco brand wipes. So I don't see a point in storing a million packs in the cabinet. I put a refill in, and when I get down to the end of all the packs, each parent brings in a new one. I use them for faces, and hands etc too. But I do try to not be wasteful with them.

My kids use them as well. On weekends when you say wash your face or hands, they run and grab a wipe. They usually get in heck for it, and i tell them to go use soap and water. But I do buy wipes as well.
jenny31052 08:49 PM 05-02-2012
When we went to training, we were told about the rule of the one wipe - one swipe. My licensor comes unannounced 2-3 times a month, and, I'm not kidding, she peeks into the trash can in the bathroom to see if I use gloves, the wax paper on the changing pad, and if the wipes are being trown away double folded, or whatever... she doesn't stick her hands in there, but she looks in it, every single time. I did got a reprimand one time, because she saw wipes that were obviously not be used "appropriately"

It is a stupid rule, yes, but I don't want to get in trouble, so I follow it... just in case, and because she is so picky, that I'm afraid that one day she will actually go through the whole trash can.

I have a container for each child, with their names on it - I have no reason to use someone else's wipes. When I have about 3 days left of supply I live a note in the child's cubby, I tell the parents, or I call/text... in more than 2 years I have never , ever had a "wipes problem".

I used to supply them, but then one parent wanted to use the organic ones, the other preferred another brand, because the child was "allergic" to those that I was using, so I decided that they can bring what they want me to use on their kids... same for diapers... works great for me...

ANyway, this morning she showed up, and apologized... she brought a new pack of wipes, which she saw me put into her child's drawer in the bathroom, with a date on...
dEHmom 06:41 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by jenny31052:
When we went to training, we were told about the rule of the one wipe - one swipe. My licensor comes unannounced 2-3 times a month, and, I'm not kidding, she peeks into the trash can in the bathroom to see if I use gloves, the wax paper on the changing pad, and if the wipes are being trown away double folded, or whatever... she doesn't stick her hands in there, but she looks in it, every single time. I did got a reprimand one time, because she saw wipes that were obviously not be used "appropriately"

It is a stupid rule, yes, but I don't want to get in trouble, so I follow it... just in case, and because she is so picky, that I'm afraid that one day she will actually go through the whole trash can.

I have a container for each child, with their names on it - I have no reason to use someone else's wipes. When I have about 3 days left of supply I live a note in the child's cubby, I tell the parents, or I call/text... in more than 2 years I have never , ever had a "wipes problem".

I used to supply them, but then one parent wanted to use the organic ones, the other preferred another brand, because the child was "allergic" to those that I was using, so I decided that they can bring what they want me to use on their kids... same for diapers... works great for me...

ANyway, this morning she showed up, and apologized... she brought a new pack of wipes, which she saw me put into her child's drawer in the bathroom, with a date on...
I always put the wipes and gloves inside the diaper, and then roll the diaper up then place it in a plastic diaper bag double knot it, and then throw it in trash on the back steps. So there would be no way for her to see the wipes unless she opened the diaper and looked.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 05-03-2012
HOLY COW!!! Are you serious? 2-3 times a month for unannounced inspections/visits from your licensor?!?!? That is insane!!!! There is NO reason for anyone to be visited that many times in one month....seems almost harassing...

.....and she actually looks in your garbage can???????? Seriously WTH?!?!

I have never, in all my years in this field, heard of something so rediculous!!! Not even drug addicts on house arrest are checked up on that much!

What happens if you use a wipe for one swipe and when you toss it out, it "falls" into the garbage and appears folded or doubled over....are you suppose to reach into a poopy wipe and lay it flat so your licensor can "see" that you used it properly"???? Again, WTH?

WOW!! I am seriously just in shock that you have to work under those conditions!!!

Well, I am glad your DCM apologized and saw that you really have no choice with having to work under those types of conditions. Wow! I just want to keep saying wow! I can't believe you have a licensor (or rules) like you do....

(((((HUGS))))) to you for simply having to follow those asinine rules and yet still doing child care!
renodeb 06:57 AM 05-03-2012
I had the parents supply diapers and wipes for a long time before I started having trouble with parents remembering to bring them in. On several occasions parents would forget them and 3 weeks later would finally bring them. (by that time I had borrowed from others or used up my reserves). One mom even said that I was using to many wipes and that she wipes and folds it over as many times as she can before she uses a new one. So I started keeping a tally on his daily note on how many wipes I used on him. (he had yucky diapers to). Once I switched to supplying everything it has become much easier. I know I have the supplies I need. (granted I did raise rates but not a huge raise)
Debbie
SilverSabre25 06:58 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

(((((HUGS))))) to you for simply having to follow those asinine rules and yet still doing child care!
Well said!! (need an applause smiley, lol)

Acutally, the above applies to many, many of you. I was never so grateful for my state's comparatively lax child care regulations until I came to this board. I wouldn't be doing child care under the conditions many of you work! Kudos to you!
Sunchimes 07:41 AM 05-03-2012
I'm pretty lax about supplies, especially wipes. But, at the same time, I'm aware that all of my parents are having a hard time these days, so I try to be careful. When they bring diapers, I always slip 2 or 3 out and put them into their drawer until I have a half dozen or so. Then, if they forget to bring more, I have a set of spares. They know and approve.

Both of my families supply wipes. They have never said anything about how many I use, and I don't think they ever would. But, I don't want to have to watch myself, so I also buy wipes. I use those for messy faces, bad noses, cleaning the chalkboard, removing errant crayon marks, and anything else I want to use them for. Wipes aren't that expensive and I just consider it one of the costs of doing business-like Lysol.

The community style wouldn't really be fair here because they aren't here the same number of days. If all of them were here 5 days a week, I might do it that way, but one week someone is here 5 days, then 3 days the next, and now and then, one baby isn't here at all.
dEHmom 07:52 AM 05-03-2012
I created a spreadsheet with a column for the date, then child's name, diapers, child's name, diapers, child's name, diapers etc.

under child's name, I put a check mark for each bum change, then at the end of the day, i mark down how many diapers they have left. When parents bring a new pack I mark it down. When they bring in wipes, I mark it down as well. If I run out of wipes before an average amount of time, I buy some. On average each parent brings wipes about once every 3 months.
jenny31052 08:24 PM 05-03-2012
I'm licensed through the military (my husband is active duty)... the military base where my husband works, have licensed family childcare homes to serve the military community, and in my case also civilians (since I don't live on base). To make it short, my licensor is the military installation, and I do follow their regulations on childcare, which are stricter than then State's. As providers we get the same training that the people at the actual daycare center on base, gets. We have to attend 2 hours of mandatory training each month as well... Right now, at this base location, we only have 7 "military" providers, so the program coordinator has PLENTY of time to check if we follow the rules.

I'm actually thinking switching completely, and obtain a State license, so I can have more freedom, and I won't be getting so many inspections.....
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 05-04-2012
I'm licensed through the military (my husband is active duty)... the military base where my husband works, have licensed family childcare homes to serve the military community, and in my case also civilians (since I don't live on base). To make it short, my licensor is the military installation, and I do follow their regulations on childcare, which are stricter than then State's. As providers we get the same training that the people at the actual daycare center on base, gets. We have to attend 2 hours of mandatory training each month as well... Right now, at this base location, we only have 7 "military" providers, so the program coordinator has PLENTY of time to check if we follow the rules.

I'm actually thinking switching completely, and obtain a State license, so I can have more freedom, and I won't be getting so many inspections.....
Based on what you have posted in regards to the numbe rof unannounce inspections you recieve and the rediculous method that you are inspected, I would absolutely make the switch!

I am still just dumbfounded that she would come that many times, even if she does have that much free time....as a provider, I would feel as though she didnt trust me one bit and part of the licensor-provider realtionship, (like with parents) should be based on trust. I also think that licensors should fill the role of support system and guidance/teacher rather than the "military police"...kwim?

I think you would be doing yourself, as well as the parents in your care a favor if you switched over to state licensing....unless their is some major benefit to doing things through the base licensing.
MrsB 06:58 AM 05-04-2012

I have been licensed on a military base as well and it can be a bigger pain because the inspectors work a few blocks from you. I had lots of "drive by and unannounced visits" Then I checked with the regulations and realized that I was only supposed to be having 1 unanounced visit per year unless a complaint was filed. In the case of a complaint they have to fill out paperwork and have me sign. You might want to check in the fine print.

Some licensing specialist take their job a little TOO seriously. You know its kind of like a police officer pulling someone over for going 1 mile over the speed limit. It is just rediculous. I want to say "do you really care about the safety and care of the kids"

The only thing that works with "these" inspectors is killing them with kindness, call them frequently to get their advice, ask questions, develop a repoire with them, send them a xmas card.

I promise you they will be less apt to sneak through your garbage.
Abigail 12:56 PM 05-05-2012
Why not tell the parent they need to buy a huge refill box or bring in 2 packs on the first of the month? I provide my own wipes because I like huggies and I also tear them in half as they pop out of the container prior to changing the diaper as you're suppose to get all your supplies ready before hand anyways. I tell parents I provide the wipes, but if they wanted to know what kind of request something specific for anyreason I would tell them they need to provide it. I have in my handbook that diapers must be brought by the box. It took me working at one daycare to watch a parent carry in 2-3 diapers a day and it just UGHHHHH is all I have to say! S T U P I D, lol, so I tell all parents while we go over the handbook that I expect diapers to last more than a week so they only have to worry about bring their child and that is it. Initially they bring spare clothes, diapers, bedding, but it all stays here. It's just convenient.

I don't want all the wasted space with 4 or more separate wipes containers. Seriously what a waste of space. I'm minimal and clean and organized and that would drive me nuts! I also run my wipes containers through the dishwasher once it's empty just so the container is clean again. I have 4 wipes containers and buy a big refill pack once every 6 weeks of so and can fill all the containers up at once and store them in the drawer so if I run out, boom another one is ready to go in the drawer.

I've never had a drop-in inspection yet. It was suppose to happen a few weeks ago as I'm at my 6 months of being licensed so I'm rather annoyed. I want to make sure I know the rules before they're engraved in my brain. I do agree most people do what they want and what works. I do a lot over-the-top because I paid more attention to CCRR who is willing to help via emails and phone and stop over vs. licensing who seems to be too busy.

Best of luck! Do what works for you and what makes you happy!
Tags:wipes
Reply Up