Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Caught.....
kpa0627 11:43 AM 06-30-2010
So, I was looking over my enrollment and realized I'm going to be 1 over ratio on Tuesdays and Thursdays because I have an infant in care (which changes ratio guidelines). I am planning on giving them notice that I reevaluated my business and am no longer going to have infants and wanted to give them 4 weeks notice but just in case I am wondering......
If licensing shows up and you are 1 over ratio what happens??
originalkat 11:47 AM 06-30-2010
You will probably get a warning, especially if you tell them that you already gave the family notice. I am in Kansas as well. I have never had this happen, but a friend of mine did and they just warned her. It really depends on the licensing agent who shows up on how that want to handle it.
kpa0627 03:33 PM 07-01-2010
Ok well that's kinda good to know. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen and what they did?!?
DCMom 04:44 PM 07-01-2010
Can you request a variance in your ratios for those two days?
Golden Rule 07:27 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
Ok well that's kinda good to know. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen and what they did?!?
I just went through this... I had two exiting 4 year olds. I filled their slots with kids from my waiting list, then both parents backed out of leaving and got summer jobs. (I never have trouble getting kids, I can't get them to leave...) Since both are very well behaved, my husband is home 3 days a week, they had paid consistently for 4 years each and it was only a 6 week gap (really only one day a week would I have them all), so I decided to risk it.

I "got caught" on day 3 . I have never gotten away with anything in my life. My husband was here so I was well within "ratio" but was "over limits". I was given 24 hours to rectify(The State Lady was wonderful and completely understood, said she had done similar in the past herself), so I had both parents fill out "no pay" forms, since retaining them was never about income to begin with (MISTAKE), and had them notorized. I had them faxed within 16 hours, and had another surprise visit within 6 days.

I am losing $190 a week, plus food, for 6 weeks . Expensive lesson, but I learned it. END DATES ARE END DATES, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Daycare Mommy 07:36 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
I just went through this... I had two exiting 4 year olds. I filled their slots with kids from my waiting list, then both parents backed out of leaving and got summer jobs. (I never have trouble getting kids, I can't get them to leave...) Since both are very well behaved, my husband is home 3 days a week, they had paid consistently for 4 years each and it was only a 6 week gap (really only one day a week would I have them all), so I decided to risk it.

I "got caught" on day 3 . I have never gotten away with anything in my life. My husband was here so I was well within "ratio" but was "over limits". I was given 24 hours to rectify(The State Lady was wonderful and completely understood, said she had done similar in the past herself), so I had both parents fill out "no pay" forms, since retaining them was never about income to begin with (MISTAKE), and had them notorized. I had them faxed within 16 hours, and had another surprise visit within 6 days.

I am losing $190 a week, plus food, for 6 weeks . Expensive lesson, but I learned it. END DATES ARE END DATES, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Am I reading this right? You are working for free for 2 kids for 6 weeks?
Golden Rule 07:49 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
Am I reading this right? You are working for free for 2 kids for 6 weeks?
Yep, enough to make you want to cry isn't it?

They have been here since they were newborns, their moms are teachers/hospital employees/fire/ems whom both had alot of furloughs/unpaid time and are deep in debt, and I AM THE WORLDS BIGGEST SUCKER. (one is special needs child, the other a single mom, I get very involved, and need a kick to the head.)

I have learned, though, and only have 4 more weeks.....

Never, Never, never again....
Daycare Mommy 08:15 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
Yep, enough to make you want to cry isn't it?

They have been here since they were newborns, their moms are teachers/hospital employees/fire/ems whom both had alot of furloughs/unpaid time and are deep in debt, and I AM THE WORLDS BIGGEST SUCKER. (one is special needs child, the other a single mom, I get very involved, and need a kick to the head.)

I have learned, though, and only have 4 more weeks.....

Never, Never, never again....
Wow! You are so much more generous than me! As soon as I got caught I'd have given them their notice. Sorry ladies, but the plan to continue care after you changed your minds about summer care will no longer work out since social services has found out that I am over my numbers. God bless them for what they do, but I can't believe they are letting you watch their kids for free...
Golden Rule 09:05 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
Wow! You are so much more generous than me! As soon as I got caught I'd have given them their notice. Sorry ladies, but the plan to continue care after you changed your minds about summer care will no longer work out since social services has found out that I am over my numbers. God bless them for what they do, but I can't believe they are letting you watch their kids for free...
One has only been here one day a week, since the "switch"....she tries very hard. The other has offered milk, juice, groceries, etc. but if I take it I can 'get caught", again and face fines or jail. The reg. says "no pay or in kind". (It is weird to me that I can keep 6 kids "for pay" and up to 6 more for "no pay", 12 total within ratio!!!.....seems to be more money based that childs needs based?)

The way I see it is that I am only losing the "extra" pay I would have been receiving since all my paid slots are filled. Kind of like karma nailing me for being arrogant enough to try to beat the system... Even with rationalizing that it is for a "good cause", I still knew better.
Tags:fines, inspection, ratio
Reply Up