Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with aggressive 15 month old
lilcupcakes09 04:05 AM 07-28-2014
I have a very feisty little 15 month old dcg who cannot stop hitting, shoving, and biting. What do I do with her?? I have already tried redirection, this leads to screaming and throwing herself in the floor, or causing her to bite herself or someone or something else around her(which includes the couch, a chair, and even the fridge at times!) out of anger. She smacks my other little dc child constantly, always wants what the other has. Now we are on to time outs, over and over daily telling her firmly "not nice" while she is in the middle of her screaming fit afterwards. It's exhausting!! And I'm not at all happy with her treating my other dck's like this. Need some ideas please......
mamamanda 05:29 AM 07-28-2014
Could you create a safe area to move her to while she is throwing the fit close enough you can see her, but far enough away that she understands she's being separated from the group? I find most of the time the fit is for attention so if it doesn't earn them any they typically stop. I don't let kids throw fits in the main play area b/c it draws the attention of the other dck which is what they want. Its hard b/c she is so little & I've had some 15 month olds who understand what they are doing & some who seem clueless. I would be very consistent and move her away from the child she is being aggressive with every single time she hits, bites, whatever. If she's aggressive with toys that toy would be taken away for a bit. It may take a while but she will start to get it. I don't know that actual time out would make sense to her at this young age, but she will figure out being mean equals losing play time with friends. Just my opinion.
Reply Up