Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent asking for late pick up EVERY week...
lilcupcakes09 09:42 AM 09-10-2014
I only have one parent out of my 4 families who thinks there is nothing wrong with asking me one day out of every week if it is okay to pick up late for this reason or another.....does she really think it's just nothing to me?? I'm sorry, but I think it's totally disrespectful!! I take care of kids for 10 1/2 hours a day, NO I really don't want to keep your child late, whether it is 15 mins or an hour or more. Would she appreciate her work asking her to work an extra few hours every single week??? And no that little bit of extra cash means nothing to me, that is my family time!
I have said yes here and there, and no many times as I already have plans....but don't you think one would get the hint??? Ugh so annoying!!!
craftymissbeth 09:47 AM 09-10-2014
Maybe start saying no every time? She probably just assumes you're ok with it since you have a fee set up for late pick ups.. if you don't want to do late pick ups you could always just change your policy to no late pick ups ever, kwim?
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 09-10-2014
I allow requested (pre-approved) late pick-ups 3x within a 6 month period.

ANY more than that and I will need to re-adjust their contract.

I would NEVER allow late picks beyond my close time. There is NO amount of money in the world that makes losing time with my family worth it.
Play Care 09:56 AM 09-10-2014
I think you need to be blunt "DCM, I really can't accommodate outside hours. I have a life and things I need to do after work hours. You need to pick Jr up by x time every day. If you need after hours care then you need to make other arrangements, thanks!"
And I would say this even if you can occasionally do it, because it's clear she's one who takes advantage.
I seem to recall on Tom Copeland's blog not too long ago something about having kids outside your posted child care hours being a no no - your insurance may not cover you if something were to happen to the kids when you are technically closed or something to that effect. Another thing to consider when taking requests for off hours care.
lilcupcakes09 10:02 AM 09-10-2014
Interesting about the insurance part, but makes sense!! It's sad because he is also the kid who NEVER misses a day EVER, I have to close or he is here until closing time. Feel bad for the kid that he is in this environment

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think you need to be blunt "DCM, I really can't accommodate outside hours. I have a life and things I need to do after work hours. You need to pick Jr up by x time every day. If you need after hours care then you need to make other arrangements, thanks!"
And I would say this even if you can occasionally do it, because it's clear she's one who takes advantage.
I seem to recall on Tom Copeland's blog not too long ago something about having kids outside your posted child care hours being a no no - your insurance may not cover you if something were to happen to the kids when you are technically closed or something to that effect. Another thing to consider when taking requests for off hours care.

Shell 10:08 AM 09-10-2014
Unfortunately, some parents are clueless and just assume it's no big deal. I had a dcm just like this- and I had to tell her we would need to change her contracted hours and she would pay a higher weekly fee- that stopped her in her tracks. On the rare occasion they were late, I more than doubled my late fee. I would let her know that these late pick ups are becoming all too regular, and you can accommodate ( how many you want) per month, with notice, but that is all. I swear some parents really think we just love their kids soo much, that we don't mind cooking dinner, cleaning, with their kid. In reality, the time we do spend is more than enough.
Play Care 10:15 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Unfortunately, some parents are clueless and just assume it's no big deal. I had a dcm just like this- and I had to tell her we would need to change her contracted hours and she would pay a higher weekly fee- that stopped her in her tracks. On the rare occasion they were late, I more than doubled my late fee. I would let her know that these late pick ups are becoming all too regular, and you can accommodate ( how many you want) per month, with notice, but that is all. I swear some parents really think we just love their kids soo much, that we don't mind cooking dinner, cleaning, with their kid. In reality, the time we do spend is more than enough.

And if you are licensed you then are limited on what you can even do! I can't even go upstairs in my own home anymore during dc. Some providers can't use the oven/stove, etc. It's not like the old days when the SAHM was making a couple of bucks to add a kid or two to the mix. But dcp's didn't seem to get that memo.
TwinKristi 11:35 AM 09-10-2014
Yeah you just have to lay down the boundaries. I cannot watch children after 5:00pm due to licensing and insurance restrictions and if licensing came at 4:50 to see how many stayed late, I would be fined. If something happened at 5:05pm my insurance wouldn't cover it and you'd be dropped, etc. There is no risk or gamble for her like there is for you. She's just being lazy. It it's not an hour or licensing restriction than you could institute a late pickup fee and charge her every time she's late.
I started doing this and it's remarkable how prompt parents are. LOL a one time emergency or some major traffic jam I'm not necessarily worried about but it's the consistent "oh I'm running late" stuff that kills me. I had a Gma who lives 5 mins away and was consistently 25-60 mins late until I started charging. LOL She paid me $20 in late fees the other week because she left late from work and there was traffic. Another dad didn't really plan for traffic at 5pm (usually picks up by 3 and from the other direction) so they paid me $30 in late fees until they could find someone to get her! LOL
ColorfulSunburst 12:22 PM 09-10-2014
Just answer: "no, it's not OK" and make a smile and even don't try to describe why it is not OK.
Reply Up