Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Yr Old DCG OBSESSED With Other 2 Yr Old DCG
lilcupcakes09 08:32 AM 01-22-2015
Has anyone else eer experienced an "obsession" between dcks?? I have 2 girls, about 2 months difference in age. One is very laid back, the other is very pushy and seems obsessed with everything the other little girl is doing. All day long she follows her, take things from her, she must do every single thing the other girl is doing. If she doesn't flat out walk up and take the toy away, she will follow her around waiting for her to put whatever toy down so she can take it. It causes fights as she is constantly in her space all day everyday! In all my years of daycare I have always had doubles of infants that grow up together, but never a child like this....
JoseyJo 10:36 AM 01-22-2015
I had a DCB (preschool aged) who was obsessed with a DCG (also preschool aged) it wasn't like your discription though. He had a MAJOR crush on her (she was very beautiful ) He always tried to sit by her, made her presents, did anything to make her smile. He was crushed if she said any off hand remark that sounded like she didn't like him... It was an all day, every day thing. Everything he did or even thought was about how to get her to like him...
nannyde 11:00 AM 01-22-2015
It's not obsession. It's dominance.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yep.

I see this type of behavior with "only's" and "oldest siblings" often.

Im sure it can be with any child but in my experience, its the only children and the oldest that seem to do it most.
Heidi 11:12 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I agree, although when I tried to look up ideas, I only got information on DOG dominance.

OP, I think working with the quiet/shy one to TELL the other one what she wants and how she feels might be in order. Instead of just intervening or speaking up for her, work with her on speaking up for herself. Model "I am using this toy" and "STOP!"

For Miss Overbearing, I'd model asking "May I play with you?" and "When you're done, may I use that?"

You might already be doing that. If that's the case, rinse and repeat. Probably until doomsday...
lilcupcakes09 11:23 AM 01-22-2015
I don't agree that it's a dominance issue....both of these girls have older siblings. The pushy one is also quite a bit smaller than the other one, the laid back one is not shy at all, she has 4 older brothers and can definitely defend herself as needed. She also speaks very well and let's the other dcg know that she is playing with whatever. I think of the pushy girl as having "little man syndrome". This has been going on for quite a while but seems the older the worse she is getting with copying and following.
Heidi 11:41 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I don't agree that it's a dominance issue....both of these girls have older siblings. The pushy one is also quite a bit smaller than the other one, the laid back one is not shy at all, she has 4 older brothers and can definitely defend herself as needed. She also speaks very well and let's the other dcg know that she is playing with whatever. I think of the pushy girl as having "little man syndrome". This has been going on for quite a while but seems the older the worse she is getting with copying and following.
well, sounds like she's just working on boundaries yet, then. Hopefully, she'll catch on soon.
Reply Up