Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Wiggle Room Do You Allow For a New Family
childcaremom 04:31 AM 05-01-2015
I have a family that has been using my services for 2 weeks now. Tuition fees are due at 9 am and I have a feeling that they will be late paying. My policies say that a late fee of $15 per calander day begins at 9:01 am. Do I give them a warning or do I charge?

They seem like they need training.

Pick up at 5 pm on the dot. I am closed to them at 5. She was sitting in her car checking her phone at drop off yesterday so I walked the kids around the front to her at 5. This annoys me and the kids.

She paid the deposit on time but was hard to get the paperwork back from.

Now this.

In the past, I have given one warning. I only had one family do this and they ended up not working out in the long run so I guess I am having flashbacks to this.

Thoughts?
Annalee 04:50 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have a family that has been using my services for 2 weeks now. Tuition fees are due at 9 am and I have a feeling that they will be late paying. My policies say that a late fee of $15 per calander day begins at 9:01 am. Do I give them a warning or do I charge?

Pick up at 5 pm on the dot. I am closed to them at 5. She was sitting in her car checking her phone at drop off yesterday so I walked the kids around the front to her at 5. This annoys me and the kids.

Now this.

In the past, I have given one warning. I only had one family do this and they ended up not working out in the long run so I guess I am having flashbacks to this.

Thoughts?
I am actually tougher in the beginning. That is where I feel I set the tone for what I expect. If anything goes bad then it is usually (not always) but usually in the beginning and I can nip it or they can move on to another daycare.
Kabob 05:04 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am actually tougher in the beginning. That is where I feel I set the tone for what I expect. If anything goes bad then it is usually (not always) but usually in the beginning and I can nip it or they can move on to another daycare.
I agree.

I used to give new families a warning but then they just took it as a sign that I wasn't going to enforce my policies or when I did, they got angry for not giving them another warning.

So, I enforced my policies immediately and gave wiggle room to the families I've had for a while instead.
kendallina 05:48 AM 05-01-2015
I'm always tougher in the beginning, it sets the right tone and sets your expectations.
Crazy8 06:45 AM 05-01-2015
I would give more "wiggle room" to a family who has been in my care for 2 years than I would a family who has been with me for 2 weeks! If she walked in this morning without payment her and the kids would be walking back out to get it. Should be the first and only time she "forgets".

I would address the car thing too - I would not walk children out, I would make her pay the fee when she walked in late.
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 05-01-2015
I agree with the others.

It's like money. Would you borrow (not give) a complete stranger $100 or would you be more apt to borrow your friend or relative $100?

Same concept.

The only people that get the benefit of the doubt, the wiggle room or an exception to a rule/policy are those that have SHOWN me they deserve it.
Not those that are just starting out and setting the stage for future behavior....kwim?
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 05-01-2015

Now this.

Thoughts?
A lesson I learned the hard way....

The best and only "training" they need is the FIRM enforcement of ALL your policies....including the consequences.
childcaremom 08:24 AM 05-01-2015
Thanks! You are all right, of course.

I don't know why I feel awkward enforcing late fees. I have no problems with enforcing any of my other policies but anything involving money, I am like a limp noodle.

And she was only 30 minutes late with payment. (limp noodle)
originalkat 08:28 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Me too. I like to stick by my rules tightly especially when I first get a new family so they do not try to push things when they get more comfortable.
daycarediva 09:01 AM 05-01-2015
I would address the issues immediately. "Dcm, when you signed on you agreed to payment at 9am and pickup before 5. I am sure it's just getting adjusted to a new routine, but from here forward late payment fees of X and late pickup fees of X will be added to your total. Thanks for understanding."

if she did it again, no warnings, straight to late fees. I feel like if they're messing up in the honeymoon period, this is how it will always be (or worse).
childcaremom 10:15 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would address the issues immediately. "Dcm, when you signed on you agreed to payment at 9am and pickup before 5. I am sure it's just getting adjusted to a new routine, but from here forward late payment fees of X and late pickup fees of X will be added to your total. Thanks for understanding."

if she did it again, no warnings, straight to late fees. I feel like if they're messing up in the honeymoon period, this is how it will always be (or worse).
Thanks! I'm paraphrasing this to use
DaisyMamma 10:39 AM 05-01-2015
Thanks! You are all right, of course.

I don't know why I feel awkward enforcing late fees. I have no problems with enforcing any of my other policies but anything involving money, I am like a limp noodle.

And she was only 30 minutes late with payment. (limp noodle)
There's still time to fix this. The day before payment is due next time offer a reminder that she was given a freebie for late payment last time but it needs to be on time from now on.
childcaremom 10:42 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
There's still time to fix this. The day before payment is due next time offer a reminder that she was given a freebie for late payment last time but it needs to be on time from now on.
I sent home a reminder on Tuesday I feel like I shouldn't even have to do that, however.
Tags:new families and policies
Reply Up