Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just a rant! Warning: LONG
AliB 05:31 AM 05-14-2015
So I have a family of two kids(dcb,dcg) that I have been watching for 3 years now, and over time they are starting to take more advantage of me each week. Dcd has been out of work for about a year and about 2 months ago he finally went back to work. The kids have continued to come so that they would have a spot when dcd did go back to work. Well when dcd went back to work dcm asked if I would be willing watch the kids until dcm got out of work anywhere from 5:30pm until 7:30pm. My contracted hours are 6:30-4:30. I politely told her no that I have kids at 6:30am and attend school in the evenings and that I wasn't extending my work day. After a couple of days she asked if my 15 year old dd would be interested in watching dck in the evening after I close. I spoke with my dd and she agreed to do it, but that it would only be until May 21 when she starts her 2 summer sports and that there would be days she couldn't watch them because of school activities(concerts, etc.). I text dcm last week and told her that dd would be unavailable for today, the 14th, due to a concert. When dcm got here this am she was talking about dcb getting picked up for baseball practice, I reminded her that dd wasn't watching dck today and she pretended like she forgot. This was after she tried to change pick up last min yesterday and dd had already made plans to go to ds baseball game. I told dcm that plans had already been made and that she would have to find other care for last night. She seemed annoyed but it is what it is. After as long as I have been doing childcare I am still amazed at the lack of consideration these parents have. Everyday I am thankful that I have been able to stay home and raise my children but at the same time I am counting down the days to be done being at everyone's beckon call. Just this morning this same DCM posted on FB that she was so sad that she misses the majority of her kids day, that she doesn't even see them for an hour a day. Yet her work schedule is typically 9am-7pm and she drops off at 6:30am, she works 5 minutes from my house, so the commute is not the issue. Sorry for such a long post but this week has been frustrating and I just needed to get this off my chest.
finsup 06:20 AM 05-14-2015
Oh yes the "I just miss my kids so much! I'm away from them all day!" But...those are always the ones who get sent to daycare on their day off and have the longest days (not because of long work hours but for the parents "me" time). Def. Annoying! Keep being strict with them, hold them to every single policy you have and if you have to, write up a new "plan" and require them to sign it. I got taken advantage of when I first started doing this and wont let it happen again
LindseyA 06:53 AM 05-14-2015
So sorry you're frustrated! I would be too! I must say that a congratulations is in order for standing your ground on your hours!
lilcupcakes09 07:12 AM 05-14-2015
I just termed one of these last week! I had been hanging on for the sake of the child needing some consistency in his life.At daycare for 10 hours, then went somewhere else everyday for 2 more hours, from day to day he didn't know where he was to go or who was picking him up. After multiple instances of throwing mom's inconsiderateNess under the rug, I let them go. It's been a load off my chest, but I still think and feel bad about the child.
momofboys 07:45 AM 05-14-2015
I would not have allowed DCM to have 6:30 a.m. drop offs if she didn't have to be to work until 9. What is her reasoning for such early drop-offs? I would say 7:30 at the earliest.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:59 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I would not have allowed DCM to have 6:30 a.m. drop offs if she didn't have to be to work until 9. What is her reasoning for such early drop-offs? I would say 7:30 at the earliest.
I agree with this. I imagine she drops dck off and goes back home to get ready, because, you know, it is impossible to get ready with your kid around! (sarcasm) But, seriously, I would not be letting that happen. She needs to drop at 8:45 or so and then head off to work. She can spend a extra 2 hours with dck and have breakfast with him and enjoy their morning together. Good for you for sticking to your guns, though and for not letting her take advantage of your daughter's generous offer to help in the evenings! Just as a side note, if your daughter is watching the kid, she should be getting an hourly babysitting rate that is appropriate for the area. She is worth it and needs to learn that lesson young
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:26 AM 05-14-2015
I sincerely hope that DCM is not dropping the kids off at 6:30 on those days that they are there until 7:30. That's 13 hours!!!
AliB 07:27 PM 05-14-2015
Unfortunately they are getting dropped at 6:30! It's frustrating but only for one more week and then my daughter won't be watching them after I'm done at 4:30. Yes my dd is getting paid hourly but that was after a struggle with dcm, she felt it was too much at first, or may still, but nonetheless she pays it. DCM reasoning behind early dropoffs is that she needs to run to the store or grab a drink or whatever that days excuse is. It didn't always bother me but now that I know I will be closing in August a lot more seems to bother me. That's why I came here, I needed to vent . The dcb is 8 and the other children I have are 2, he doesn't really fit in and also seems to annoy the younger ones frequently. I also do not have age appropriate toys for him as he didn't used to come to me, just his baby sister. I have been thinking about telling dcm that he may be better suited someplace else with children closer to his age, that being said I am also prepared to lose his sister because of this. I would like my last couple of months to be stress free!
Reply Up