Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not providing lunch anymore
lilcupcakes09 04:07 AM 06-03-2015
Childcare is super cheap in our area.....like getting $20 a day for SA is considered expensive! Snice I opened 7 years ago, I have always provided all meals and snacks, until now. I will no longer provide lunch for summer breaks and school out days. It just is not feasible with what I am paid to take care of these children, I wouldn't be making any profit!
Have any other providers done this and what feedback have you gotten from your parents?Mine haven't said anything about the changes since I notified them last week.
Play Care 06:45 AM 06-03-2015
I believe there are a lot of providers who do not provide meals, and the response is usually positive, especially in areas where parents like to have control over what their child is eating. In some places its so common to not have dc provide the meals that it's odd when one does.

If no one has said anything, I might follow up verbally "Sue, I just wanted to make sure you received my notice about meals? Just making sure. I want to be sure that every one has a sack lunch when they are scheduled (or whatever kind of meal you are asking for)."
Or you could take no news as good news...
NoMoreJuice! 06:47 AM 06-03-2015
Make sure you are prepared to charge a $10 or $20 meal fee when the parents forget to bring the lunch.
Laurel 09:39 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Make sure you are prepared to charge a $10 or $20 meal fee when the parents forget to bring the lunch.
I agree that 'forgetting' or not packing enough could be a problem. One time I experimented and charged a school ager less during the summer if mom would pack his lunch. GREAT family. I had their younger one full time. However, we had a problem. The first few days were fine then the school ager liked our lunch better so asked for some. He was such a sweet, wonderful kid and I couldn't refuse. So after that he would just bring mimimal food more like a snack and I was supplementing what he brought. So that wasn't working. I told mom I could no longer watch him for that amount and raised the price (actually doubled it). So she found other arrangements for his care. I still had his sister. I guess she couldn't afford both and it wasn't fair to me to get less so that was that.

I just had an idea though. The schools give children peanut butter sandwiches if they forget lunch or aren't paid up as they are not allowed to let a child go hungry. You could ask her to buy a jar of peanut butter and some bread (you could freeze it) or maybe crackers to spread it on as a 'backup'. Maybe also some other non perishable food if you think they will 'forget.' Canned fruit or veggies would work too.

Laurel
Unregistered 07:28 PM 06-03-2015
Have u tried getting on the food program for ur state? It may help to offset ur daycare costs.
Movingforward 10:29 PM 06-05-2015
I'm considering not providing lunch as well. I know most providers in my area do provide lunch...our business is all about convenience for the parents BUT cooking lunch is just not working for my set up. We are located on the lower level with no stove or anything. I'd be glad providing breakfast and snack (require minimal cooking) but how would you break the news to the parents? I know this is something the parents like.
Reply Up